No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love these Disney Treasures releases. I've got quite a few myself -the cartoons-but I'm not familiar with this one. In 1962 Hammer Films released their version, Captain Clegg (US title: Night Creatures). That one was a lot of fun.

sk

Comment

Never saw Night Creatures, tho I'd heard of it; based on the same book. Interestingly, Night Creatures was the original title for Hammer's planned filming of "I am Legend."--but the British Film Classification Board said they wouldn't approve it for public viewing and it never got made. But since Hammer had promised American distributors a film called Night Creatures, they passed the title on to the completed Captain Clegg and distributed that film in America.
      Last edited by srboone; 09-20-2011, 05:32 AM.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I enjoyed Alien 3, too. And I have to say, although I enjoyed watching the special edition with the extra/alternate scenes, I thought the theatrical version worked just fine.
        http://louis-eldest.livejournal.com/

Comment

The Cove 10/11 Would highly recommend this to anyone who appreciated well-done documentaries. Wouldn't advise watching while eating for those who have weak stomachs though as it might get a little gruesome for some towards the end.

Biutiful 8.5/11 Wife called it a weird movie, though it didn't seem weird to me, just different and very good. It is a foreign film, so have to be ok with reading subtitles. Might be dubbed, but I refuse to watch a movie dubbed. Javier Bardem is the lead and does a great job, as I expected him to do

Winter's Bone 9/11 While I have not watched it recently there was a preview for it in Biutiful which made me think of the movie again. Found this movie to be extremely well done and enjoyed this one very much when I watched it
          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
          Spoiler!

Comment

A pleasant surprise: I just found out I hadn't seen this one before. I thought I had watched it upon original release, but the bad reviews must have been the reason I hadn't after all. And guess what: I really like this movie.
            I love like the look of this movie,the clever script, the first rate cast -Sigourney Weaver does a great job, alien/clone- ; her scenes with Winona Ryder are very effective.
            As far as I'm concerned, an excellent addition to the Alien saga.

****1/2 - *****

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post

As far as I'm concerned, an excellent addition to the Alien saga.

sk
              Agree . . . but not when I first saw it. Not sure if it's because the second go around I watched the extended version or . . . .

I'm a huge fan of FIREFLY and Joss Whedon was one of the writers on ALIEN RESURRECTION. To me the ship's crew and attitude was the beginning of the idea that later became FIREFLY.

Jan
              Not enough books . . . . . just too little time.

Comment

Thor...3.5 out of 5. It has some good action sequences and was fun. Nonetheless, every time they talked about the Rainbow Bridge, it made me think of the Muppets. It's worth a rental, not as good as Captain America on the superhero movie scoring scale.
                http://www.facebook.com/michaelmcintyre333
                http://twitter.com/#!/mikemcintyre3
                http://luminescentyou.blogspot.com/

Comment

What a crap-fest the early fall movie line up always is. Filled with movies that are destined to be forever known as "good" movies: too good to be grouped with the early year offerings, but too straight-forward and uninspired (The Debt) or too artsy (Drive) to be accepted by the mainstream and Oscar.

Fortunately, there's usually a re-release during this time to remind us what Hollywood is capable of when it throws away it's cookie cutter script computer and preconceived notions of the typical movie-goer. This year, it's The Lion King.

I know, I know. Everybody's seen it, or at least they claim to. But it was a breath of fresh air to see the extraordinary openning sequence, the astonishing majesty of the wildebeast stampede, and the wonderful vocal performance of Robert Guillaume as Rifiki the Baboon (which stood out to me this time around) on the big screen again in glorious 2D.

A couple of notes this time around: I still find the "I Just Can't Wait to be King" sequence awkward--while it is classic Disney, it just seems out of place. Then, this time, I found the overly fascist perpsective of the film disturbing, especially since it was packaged for kids; and there are a couple of times when Simba and Nala are "playing around" that the joints of their forelegs and paws bend in an unnatural manner to replicate the arms and hands of humans--bringing the extremely unsettling notion of beastiality into play. But still, it was great to see it on the big screen and even though TLK is critique proof, I offer it 4.5/5 stars.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Real Steel: When I first saw the teaser for this film over a year ago, I thought "Cool, somebody made a film about 'Rock-em-Sock-em Robots.'" Then, when the trailers came out, my enthusiasm waned--it wouldn't be the first nugget of my childhood Hollywood has ruined (Land of the Lost and others). But I was pleasantly surprised by the result: Part RmSmRobots, part Rocky, part cliched family drama; someone online said it was a remake of a movie called Robot Jox--I read up on it, and I suppose it could be seen as that. But it all worked. Plus great special effects that allow you to see every steel-crunching blow. No quick cuts like in Transformers that leave you with a blur of incomprehensible shapes.

Not a great movie by any stretch, but a crowd pleaser, and very enjoyable movie.

Opening credits mention itis based in part on the Twilight Zone episode "Steel" by Richard Matheson.

3.5/5
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The Matheson bit has me interested!

Comment

"Steel" is TZ episode staring Lee Marvin about a future in which human boxing has been outlawed, so it is now done with robots. Marvin is a former boxer who has an out-of-date model robot that gets damaged in the ring, so he disguises himself as the robot and finishes the fight, but he can't do any damage to the other bot, so he loses.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

My son has been bugging me to see this. I've been avoiding taking him, saying we should wait until we can rent it. But that little bit about the credits is interesting.
                          Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

"Crazy, Stupid, Love" - went out with the wife, so we decided to hit the movies since we haven't had much time to go out lately (the little guy just turned 1 yesterday! )

I absolutely love Steve Carell! As far as romantic comedies go, i must say this one was fairly good. A couple twists and turns made it interesting and entertaining.

4.5/5

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                              My son has been bugging me to see this. I've been avoiding taking him, saying we should wait until we can rent it. But that little bit about the credits is interesting.
                              Whatever you decide, Ken (take him), find the TZ episode and watch it first. It should make interesting double-bill viewing for you.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I thought this was RmSmRobots, too when I first saw this. That would have been funny, but likely ruined the game forever.
                                Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Working...
                                X