Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mhatchett
    replied
    I loved the original. I saw when it first came out and I wasn't sure what I would think of it, but it clicked for me. My first experience Edward James Olmos. All of the replicants are great. I'll go and watch the new release and hope that I'm as pleasantly surprised as I was with the first one.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I'm not the biggest Blade Runner fan, but I'll be seeing this solely on the strength of director, Denis Villeneuve. I've loved all of his movies so far (Sicario!) so I'm in. We're really getting some great directors of "dark" movies right now: the aforementioned Villanueve, Michael Flanagan, Jeremy Saulnier, and S. Craig Zahler.
    That and the trailers / shorts they've released are what drove me to see it as well. I'm glad I did, though I still don't know what I think about it really.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I'm just gonna copy and paste something I posted elsewhere for this.

Just got out of Blade Runner 2049. I really couldn't say if it was good or not. It was very Blade Runner. It was stunning looking. It was certainly art. I think if you're into Blade Runner you will probably like it, maybe love it. If, like me, you are in-different towards Blade Runner, you probably won't know what to think about it.
    I'm not the biggest Blade Runner fan, but I'll be seeing this solely on the strength of director, Denis Villeneuve. I've loved all of his movies so far (Sicario!) so I'm in. We're really getting some great directors of "dark" movies right now: the aforementioned Villanueve, Michael Flanagan, Jeremy Saulnier, and S. Craig Zahler.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I'm planning on seeing it this weekend. I fall pretty much in line with you on BR. It was fine, but it wasn't what the "hype" made it out to be (for me at least). That said I'd probably have seen this one based on the director alone.
    I'm just gonna copy and paste something I posted elsewhere for this.

Just got out of Blade Runner 2049. I really couldn't say if it was good or not. It was very Blade Runner. It was stunning looking. It was certainly art. I think if you're into Blade Runner you will probably like it, maybe love it. If, like me, you are in-different towards Blade Runner, you probably won't know what to think about it.

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    Originally posted by srboone View Post
    mother! was a difficult film to process, but once I tarted looking at every character as a stand in for someone/thing else, I enjoyed it. (Ed Harris and Michelle Pfieffer as Adam and Eve, their children as Cain and Abel, Jennifer Lawrence as Mother Earth, and--I think--Javier Bardem as God, or at least Man striving to be God. Even the octagonal home as the Garden of Eden).

But like you, I won't be watching it again anytime soon.
    I think you nailed it there (not to mention the baby...), and I think it was relatively obvious upon watching it. But I think there is more too it as well. I think the obvious allegory is almost allegory for something else; the creative process primarily, the pressure of celebrity and the constant bombardment of social media/always being available and online (rise of technology like smartphones etc.) as well as it's relation to celebrity and creativity. The movie has a lot and it's really chaotic, yet also controlled.

I know the writing process for this film was quite different from Aronofsky's usual. Short and frantic as opposed to long and composed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X