No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just reviewed his film history and didn't realize how many bad movies he has been in.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I’d say LOOPER from 2012. Or RED in 2010. Those are my last two favorite Willis movies, not counting GLASS, which I liked quite a bit.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Looper was definitely good. These are both sequels, but Red 2 wasn't bad and neither was Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. Those came out in 2013 and 2014.
      CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        Looper was definitely good. These are both sequels, but Red 2 wasn't bad and neither was Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. Those came out in 2013 and 2014.
        I agree that neither are bad, but neither knocked my socks off. Now I know it’s fashionable to poo-poo on the first SIN CITY, but I still think that movie is great, especially as a translation of Frank Miller’a comic. The first RED is so much fun, plain and simple.

I might need to revisit RED 2. It’s been a while.
        Last edited by Sock Monkey; 06-23-2020, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I agree that neither are bad, but neither knocked my socks off. Now I know it’s fashionable to poo-poo on the first SIN CITY, but I still think that movie is great, especially as a translation of Frank Miller’a comic. The first RED is so much fun, plain and simple.

I might need to revisit RED 2. It’s been a while.
          It wasn't bad. Just not as good as the first one.
          CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I started in on Sock Monkey's Shudder recommendations last night, and watched TERRIFIED. I'm not quite sure that I understood exactly what was going on, but there sure was enough creepy imagery to make it worth watching. Really well-done stuff. We also watched KNIVES OUT the other night, and while I did really enjoy it, I was expecting more of a whodunnit. In the end, it almost didn't matter who did it,
            Spoiler!
            Great cast and great acting saved this one.
            http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
              I started in on Sock Monkey's Shudder recommendations last night, and watched TERRIFIED. I'm not quite sure that I understood exactly what was going on, but there sure was enough creepy imagery to make it worth watching. Really well-done stuff. We also watched KNIVES OUT the other night, and while I did really enjoy it, I was expecting more of a whodunnit. In the end, it almost didn't matter who did it,
              Spoiler!
              Great cast and great acting saved this one.
              Glad you found something to enjoy in TERRIFIED. I agree that the narrative thread in the movie isn’t as strong as I’d like, but the set pieces are so solid that I can overlook it a little. A second viewing helped clarify a couple of plot points and it was easier to connect characters.

i was on the same train with KNIVES OUT. I was expecting a classic whodunit. It was quite a bit of fun, though. Ana de Armas did a great job. I really liked her in BLADE RUNNER 2049 as well.

Comment

The Girl on the Third Floor:

When I first saw the trailer for The Girl on the Third Floor I was intrigued, but skeptical. I love me some ghosts and haunted houses and curses from times past destroying the present, so this seemed in my wheelhouse, but I'm also wary of movies starring non-actors like singers or rappers or wrestlers/martial artists. This one starred CM Punk. So I was torn. Well, I decided to plop down and watch this bad boy yesterday and found it to be a mixed bag.

The film centers around a husband and soon-to-be father deciding to renovate an old Victorian-style house in the suburbs in an attempt to mend his marriage which is on the rocks since he just narrowly avoided jail time for embezzlement. Once in the house, things soon begin to slide into familiar haunted house territory with marbles rolling across the floor from nowhere and weird fluids begin dripping out of the walls and electrical sockets. Then the mysterious Sarah shows up to seduce our lead and it's off to the races.

First off, CM Punk isn't that bad. He has some natural charisma that helps, but it's obvious he isn't an actor and that does hurt the film in parts. What also hurts the film is a complete lack of nuance and natural build-up. Our lead is supposed to be battling to overcome his demons and become a good husband and father, but thirty seconds inside the house he's already started drinking when he's promised he'll stop. It also only takes a quick tour around the house and some flirting when he decides to jump in the sack with the lady who just showed up at his house. It's hard to sympathize with a guy whose shown no good redeeming qualities at all. The hero, even if fundamentally flawed, must at least make an effort to be good for his relapses into bad behavior to land with any emotion.

Also, in the land of the unsubtle is the haunting aspect which tends to be of the goopy, oozing variety. The first task our lead has is to get rid of some rot in the wall, but as he digs deeper it goopy black slime. Like I'm no carpenter, but I wouldn't brush that off. Neither would I just wipe away the clear ooze leaking out of an electrical socket and just plug in my electric drill. It's these things that make the viewer question not the character, but the script.

After 45 minutes of what feels like a supernatural Fatal Attraction story, the movie swerves and gives us something a little more interesting in the final half. Unfortunately, the script fails to decide on what is actually going on in the house. Is it demonic temptation or haunted ghosts that need to be laid to rest? I'm unsure. And I'm also unsure as to the ending as it doesn't make a whole lot of sense where these characters end up.

There is some interesting choices here that could have amounted to something, if not original, a little more substantial.

Comment

Working...
                X