No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knives Out and The King of Staten Island for me tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

Yeah, the Hellraiser and Savini documentaries are on my radar, and I'm still chipping away at Creepshow....I'm amazed by how low-budget it is.
      The Hellraiser doc is rather in depth. I believe it’s two parts. I really liked it. It’s not revolutionary, but a solid watch. HORROR NOIRE was a good doc as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

You'll probably be ok then and the movie really isn't that far off from the book. The book just made me feel a lot more for the characters then the movie ever would have alone. Plus they wanted to tie the movie in with The Shining movie which I detest. Lots of King fans don't care for this book either but it's one of his best for me.
        I think Flanagan was stuck between a rock and a hard place with the connection to The Shining. He had to balance the loyalty to the fans of both Stephen King and those that only really know The Shining through the Kubrick film.

Comment

I forgot to cancel my Shudder trial, so now I've got 30 days to kill watching Horror movies. I watched MANDY and THE HEADHUNTER.....Holy shit, what wastes of time those were. MANDY had about 30 minutes of story, if that, and it felt like a LAWRENCE OF ARABIA-length wannabe epic made by some random guy running around the woods and a quarry with a go-pro. Whacked-out and crazy, and not in a good way. THE HEADHUNTER......I won't say much, for fear of spoilers, but this was another one that was waaaay too dragged out, and it was barely 70 minutes. There are literally TWO people in this film, and one of them appears for maybe 60 seconds. After seeing the hero do the same three things over and over five times, I got it. But then they show him doing the same three things a few more times....Oy. The last 10 minutes were pretty clever, but this was not suited to be a feature film.
          Ouch. Not the two movies I’d have recommended. But no one can say you didn’t swing for fences with those two choices. MANDY is not the most accessible film. There are interesting ideas and some solid moments, but overall it didn’t work for me either.

Comment

Today I watched THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, a 1973 crime film starring Robert Mitchum. It wasn’t what I thought it was going to be, but I liked it all the same. I actually liked it quite a bit. Mitchum’s performance is so understated and convincing. And there’s a moment that genuinely caught me by surprise. The Criterion Blu-ray had a solid transfer, though like with most 70s films I felt the audio was a little subdued for my taste.

if you like 70s crime movies, this needs to be on your list to check out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Ouch. Not the two movies I’d have recommended. But no one can say you didn’t swing for fences with those two choices. MANDY is not the most accessible film. There are interesting ideas and some solid moments, but overall it didn’t work for me either.
              Well, if you have any Shudder recommendations, I'd be glad to hear them. I'm not sure there's enough content to make it worth my while to keep subscribing, but I'm going to watch as much as I can this month.

The Savini doc was fascinating. Hard to reconcile the nice guy of the film with the complete ass that I've heard he is to fans at conventions.
              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think Flanagan was stuck between a rock and a hard place with the connection to The Shining. He had to balance the loyalty to the fans of both Stephen King and those that only really know The Shining through the Kubrick film.
                True and I think he did a good job in that aspect. I'm not sure we'll ever get anything as good as Shawshank or The Green Mile again as far as King is concerned.

Comment

Knives Out and The King of Staten Island for me tonight.
                  Knives Out was a fun watch. I was too cheap to watch The King of Staten Island

Comment

Well, if you have any Shudder recommendations, I'd be glad to hear them. I'm not sure there's enough content to make it worth my while to keep subscribing, but I'm going to watch as much as I can this month.

The Savini doc was fascinating. Hard to reconcile the nice guy of the film with the complete ass that I've heard he is to fans at conventions.
                    Sure, I can put together a quick list of stuff I’ve watched and liked. Any subgenres you particularly enjoy or maybe those you don’t?

Comment

True and I think he did a good job in that aspect. I'm not sure we'll ever get anything as good as Shawshank or The Green Mile again as far as King is concerned.
                      Agreed. I’m due for a rewatch of both.

Comment

Knives Out was a fun watch. I was too cheap to watch The King of Staten Island
                        I liked KNIVES OUT. I’m not sure about how often I’ll revisit it, but I found the first go-around very enjoyable.

Comment

Sure, I can put together a quick list of stuff I’ve watched and liked. Any subgenres you particularly enjoy or maybe those you don’t?
                          I'm open to anything that people think is worth watching. I have a small watch list, but suggestions are always nice.

I watched SCREAM, QUEEN! last night, and enjoyed it a lot. Sad, strange, and kind of uplifting. A lot to unpack and think about.
                          http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Agreed. I’m due for a rewatch of both.
                            I think TNT runs Shawshank on a loop lol.

Comment

I liked KNIVES OUT. I’m not sure about how often I’ll revisit it, but I found the first go-around very enjoyable.
                              Saw Knives Out in the theater over Christmas and thought it was great.

B

Comment

I think TNT runs Shawshank on a loop lol.
                                And I'd wind up watching it every time I'm skimming channels! Unfortunately, I've been doing streaming and dvd/blu-rays only for the last 7+ years so I no longer channel surf. This has it's up and down sides. On the upside, the overall quality of what I watch has improved. No more watching cooking shows I'm only half-interested in due to laziness. The downside is that every choice is deliberate, so just stumbling across a movie or show that's playing doesn't happen anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X