Clear All

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
    Final Harry Potter.
    Best one of the lot.
    I'm no fan, but really liked this one.
    Loved the dragon!

****/*****

sk
    I agree. My daughter and grandson took me to it in 3D and it was awesome. I'm a fan of the books, mainly, and the movies less so. But it was still a great movie (sorry, Dan, I don't agree.)

I plan on going to see The Help soon. I've heard it's terrific.

John

Comment

Which movie would be the better bet for Friday, Conan, the (Pretty Boy) Barbarian or Fright Night? Both are remakes. I always go to a midnight premiere of something.

Somehow, I don't think Conan will be asked "What is best in life?" this time around...and a lot of the fun of the original FN was that the effects weren't CGI...

Sometimes life can be so difficult...
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I'd go for Conan for sure.
        I love the original and don't think this remake will top it, but I'm sure you'll have a good time.

sk

Comment

That's what I'm thinking. Thanks for your vote, Siep. There was a "What is best" moment in the movie Mongol, only concerning the choosing of a wife, I wish I could remember the whole quote. Part of it was "...she must be flat of face, so your enemies cannot read your plans in her eyes..."
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
            There was a "What is best" moment in the movie Mongol, only concerning the choosing of a wife, I wish I could remember the whole quote. Part of it was "...she must be flat of face, so your enemies cannot read your plans in her eyes..."
            Don't remember the quote, but I really liked this movie. Any idea when part 2 will be released? (It's supposed to be a trilogy..)

sk

Comment

The Great Khan was the planned sequel, but at this time it is on hold, if not abandoned. Mongol was made in Russia using Chinese actors and the the film grossed only $26M worldwide. I really liked the movie, historical inaccuracies aside, and wiould really like to see a sequel.
              Last edited by srboone; 08-16-2011, 08:45 AM.
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The Social Network - 4/5 an entertaining watch

Comment

The last couple of movies I saw were "Tree of Life" and "Cowboys and Aliens".

"Tree of Life" had some beautiful cinematography and effects shots, but aside from that I did not like it at all. Boring, pretentious, and overblown.

"Cowboys and Aliens" was silly and ultimately inconsequential, but was a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon - particularly at the Alamo Drafthouse with a beer in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Endless Horror Tale View Post
                    "Tree of Life" had some beautiful cinematography and effects shots, but aside from that I did not like it at all. Boring, pretentious, and overblown.
                    I still haen't seen it and I guess I'm too late for a threatrical experience. I'm pretty sure, though, I'll get it on BD, if only for the fact Douglas Trumbull was involved with the effects. Like he was responsible for those of the best movie ever: 2001: A Space Odyssey. And like Tree of Life, 2001 has been accused of being the most boring, pretentious movie ever.
                    Oh well.....

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                      I still haen't seen it and I guess I'm too late for a threatrical experience. I'm pretty sure, though, I'll get it on BD, if only for the fact Douglas Trumbull was involved with the effects. Like he was responsible for those of the best movie ever: 2001: A Space Odyssey. And like Tree of Life, 2001 has been accused of being the most boring, pretentious movie ever.
                      Oh well.....

sk
                      Trumbull's effects, the overall cinematography and the score were all that kept me from giving up on the movie. I might have enjoyed it more watching it on Blu-Ray; then I could just fast-forward the parts that didn't appeal to me!

It wasn't a complete wash though - those effects shots (you'll know them when you see them) are jaw-dropping.

Comment

Which movie would be the better bet for Friday, Conan, the (Pretty Boy) Barbarian or Fright Night? Both are remakes. I always go to a midnight premiere of something.

Somehow, I don't think Conan will be asked "What is best in life?" this time around...and a lot of the fun of the original FN was that the effects weren't CGI...

Sometimes life can be so difficult...
                        I'd go for Conan.

Saw 2 movies this week which is a record! Haven't had much time in the past 11 months...

Limitless 4/5 - Had its flaws, but I found it to be entertaining. I really liked one scene in the beginning when he was still the "goofy" writer trying to break through and he was talking to some guys in a bar about his book. Oh, and by "he" i mean Bradley Cooper.

Just Go With It - 4.5/5 - I know, I know. Romantic comedy... But I just love Adam Sandler! Got this for the wife, but I found myself enjoying it as well. I really want him to play in something along the lines of Happy Gilmore or The Waterboy!

Comment

Conan, what is best in life?

Conan the Barbarian: Everything that worked so well in 1982, fails miserably here. Schwarzenegger with his barely intelligible Austrian-accented English worked because that's what we figured barbarians sounded like; Momoa with his surfer-dude accent is simply wrong. No other way to put it. Sandhal Bergman worked because, heaving, sweaty breasts aside, she had the athleticism and the street smarts to match the brawn of Conan. Here, Rachel Nichols has...well, the heaving breasts. And it took me awhile to figure out that Morgan Freeman was narrating the film! Why, I'm not sure.

I could go on and on, but the film isn't worth the words I've already written. It is, however, two hours of completely gratuitous (and enjoyable) CGI gore. That is worth something, at least.

And it has a great nose-picking scene.

Conan, what is NOT best in life?

This crappy remake of an 80's classic. 1.5/5
                          Last edited by srboone; 08-19-2011, 02:15 PM.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I had a feeling it would be a flop. I haven't even been slightly interested in watching it. Thanks for the tip. I'll wait for it to show up on netflix.
                            Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Conan, what is best in life?This crappy remake of an 80's classic. 1.5/5
                              One I'll skip in the theatre for sure.
                              Thanks for the tip!

sk

Comment

Hmm, mindless CG and Action is kinda my cup of tea. I'll probably like it.... lol. Where would you say it rated on the "Action" scale?
                                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Working...
                                X