Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Your Controversial Film Opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    I agree and disagree LOL!! Good term "Bombastic Spectacle". I think Game of Thrones was fantastic minus chunks of the last season. I think TV's strength is that it can tell in depth stories. I'm interested in seeing what gets done with The Name of the Wind.
    Maybe it's the way I watched Game of Thrones, but the first 5 seasons were good. They told a good story, and were paced correctly. I binged the first 4 just before 5 came out and then watched 5 week to week. Then with the wait between 5 and 6 I lost interest and didn't even watch season 6. I watched season 7 and felt like I missed nothing from season 6 (not a good sign). Season 7 was so bad (in my opinion) that I didn't even bother watching the last season, and with the way everyone complained I'd have hated it for sure.

While I think TV can tell in depth stories. Largely I think it really doesn't usually succeed at it. Especially since most of the time they aren't adapting something and just don't have any idea where they're going with the story when they start the show. Movies at least generally know the story they're trying to tell and they know the amount of time they have to tell it in. Don't get me wrong, I like both mediums, but generally speaking I find the movie experience to be a much more complete (or well thought out) story than the TV experience.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    I agree and disagree LOL!! Good term "Bombastic Spectacle". I think Game of Thrones was fantastic minus chunks of the last season. I think TV's strength is that it can tell in depth stories. I'm interested in seeing what gets done with The Name of the Wind.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    I don't know Dan, are you using the term Blockbuster as a synonym for Epic?? Certainly as media spectacle, the Movies do have an edge.
    Just the type of Movie. You're never gonna get something like "Mission Impossible: Fallout" on TV for example. It's a big bombastic spectacle. Same thing with the super hero movies, and Star Wars. Sure you may get stuff related to that, but it'll generally be a much smaller scope. It's really just about what you're after. My big problem with a lot of TV these days though is that while there are interesting stories being told there, the shows themselves tend to be bloated (looking at you Game of Thrones). Then on top of that, if they're successful they tend to run on for so long that when they do finally end, it's almost never a satisfying or good ending, or there's no real ending and the show gets canceled. Obviously there's some notable exceptions to this.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Woody Allen is boring.
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    I don't know Dan, are you using the term Blockbuster as a synonym for Epic?? Certainly as media spectacle, the Movies do have an edge.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    In the TV vs Movies argument, I think they each have their strength and weaknesses. While movies may not have the room to tell the same kinds of stories TV does, they usually don't suffer from being bloated the way TV often does. Movies also tend to have budget and star power. It's also kinda what you want out the medium. TV will never do the concept of the "blockbuster" as well as movies.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I absolutely agree. It gets a ton of flack, but has a fantastic mythology, a creepy atmosphere, and an all-time ending. It’s not flawless, but it is perfect.
    I makes you live the movie. You're drawn in and participate. It involves your imagination and doesn't insult your intelligence.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I thought The Blair Witch Project was genius.
    I absolutely agree. It gets a ton of flack, but has a fantastic mythology, a creepy atmosphere, and an all-time ending. It’s not flawless, but it is perfect.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by marvelsferb7 View Post
    I don't think we've had one of these threads in a while and they're always fun to read! It can be negative-controversial, positive-controversial, controversial in real life or this sub or just something you want to get off your chest!

Here are some of mine:

Rachel McAdams in Game Night gave the best performance of the aughts.

Aliens is considerably better than Alien.

GOTG is the best Marvel movie.

"Range" is really overrated when talking about actors and this sub needs to find new criteria.

Johnny Depp is not really that impressive an actor.

Okay, what are yours now? Let it all out.
    Yes, most definitely yes to Rachel McAdams in Game Night. She should be the biggest of stars and how she isn’t blows my mind.

I don’t know about Aliens being better than Alien, but it is considerably more rewatchable.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Woody Allen is boring.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I feel asleep in the theater watching Winter Soldier. I have also never been able to make it all the way through Avatar. I fall asleep or wander off whenever it's on.

For context these are the only movies I recall falling asleep while watching.

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I'm not really sure your Aliens, GOTG, and Johnny Depp opinions are really all the controversial. GOTG is the one that might be the most controversial there, just because there's so many good options to choose from. Personally I'm in the Winter Soldier is the best Marvel movie camp myself.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is an absolute piece of garbage movie.

Nickelback really isn't that bad.

Bentley Little writes empty plastic stories.

There's only one Stephen King movie and that's Maximum Overdrive.
    Originally posted by Splync View Post
    I completely agree. I also think A Christmas Story is terrible.
    Ugh. You guys are killing me. I loved both of those films. And I like Nickelback. Never understood where all the hate come from for that band.

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Thanks. I had no idea what that meant.

In regards to Marvel I really liked Logan. GOTG was just a popcorn muncher.
    Most welcome! I really enjoyed Logan also. Cause if was for grownups.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Thanks. I had no idea what that meant.

In regards to Marvel I really liked Logan. GOTG was just a popcorn muncher.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    Guardians of the Galaxy

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    I completely agree. I also think A Christmas Story is terrible.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied

Nickelback really isn't that bad.

Bentley Little writes empty plastic stories.

There's only one Stephen King movie and that's Maximum Overdrive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X