Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Your Controversial Film Opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I absolutely agree. It gets a ton of flack, but has a fantastic mythology, a creepy atmosphere, and an all-time ending. It’s not flawless, but it is perfect.
    I makes you live the movie. You're drawn in and participate. It involves your imagination and doesn't insult your intelligence.

Comment

In the TV vs Movies argument, I think they each have their strength and weaknesses. While movies may not have the room to tell the same kinds of stories TV does, they usually don't suffer from being bloated the way TV often does. Movies also tend to have budget and star power. It's also kinda what you want out the medium. TV will never do the concept of the "blockbuster" as well as movies.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I don't know Dan, are you using the term Blockbuster as a synonym for Epic?? Certainly as media spectacle, the Movies do have an edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          Woody Allen is boring.
          Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
            I don't know Dan, are you using the term Blockbuster as a synonym for Epic?? Certainly as media spectacle, the Movies do have an edge.
            Just the type of Movie. You're never gonna get something like "Mission Impossible: Fallout" on TV for example. It's a big bombastic spectacle. Same thing with the super hero movies, and Star Wars. Sure you may get stuff related to that, but it'll generally be a much smaller scope. It's really just about what you're after. My big problem with a lot of TV these days though is that while there are interesting stories being told there, the shows themselves tend to be bloated (looking at you Game of Thrones). Then on top of that, if they're successful they tend to run on for so long that when they do finally end, it's almost never a satisfying or good ending, or there's no real ending and the show gets canceled. Obviously there's some notable exceptions to this.

Instagram

Comment

I agree and disagree LOL!! Good term "Bombastic Spectacle". I think Game of Thrones was fantastic minus chunks of the last season. I think TV's strength is that it can tell in depth stories. I'm interested in seeing what gets done with The Name of the Wind.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                I agree and disagree LOL!! Good term "Bombastic Spectacle". I think Game of Thrones was fantastic minus chunks of the last season. I think TV's strength is that it can tell in depth stories. I'm interested in seeing what gets done with The Name of the Wind.
                Maybe it's the way I watched Game of Thrones, but the first 5 seasons were good. They told a good story, and were paced correctly. I binged the first 4 just before 5 came out and then watched 5 week to week. Then with the wait between 5 and 6 I lost interest and didn't even watch season 6. I watched season 7 and felt like I missed nothing from season 6 (not a good sign). Season 7 was so bad (in my opinion) that I didn't even bother watching the last season, and with the way everyone complained I'd have hated it for sure.

While I think TV can tell in depth stories. Largely I think it really doesn't usually succeed at it. Especially since most of the time they aren't adapting something and just don't have any idea where they're going with the story when they start the show. Movies at least generally know the story they're trying to tell and they know the amount of time they have to tell it in. Don't get me wrong, I like both mediums, but generally speaking I find the movie experience to be a much more complete (or well thought out) story than the TV experience.

Instagram

Comment

I have an attention span, I enjoy things others find dull, but...

The Witch was no damn good.
                  Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Originally posted by marvelsferb7 View Post
                    "Range" is really overrated when talking about actors and this sub needs to find new criteria.
                    I think we agree on this. I think range can be great, but let's look at William Shatner: he didn't have it, but he will always be remembered because he brought an iconic character to life.

...but then, I really appreciate people like Meryl Streep (who can play basically anything).
                    Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Originally posted by St. Troy View Post
                      I have an attention span, I enjoy things others find dull, but...

The Witch was no damn good.
                      I don't think that's a controversial opinion. All I read was hate for that movie. I loved it, but I want to watch it again to see if I really loved it. Really really loved it.

I loved the first 90% of Hereditary but hated the way it ended.

i loved The Babadook but it gave me a huge case of the depressions. I will probably never watch it again. Or I might.

Didn't see It Follows or Saint Maude or Midsomar or The Lighthouse but want to. I really want to. Also I really really want to.

I think that covers the emergence of art-house horror movies. Which I like but not blindly. Not because the critics claim I should.

Comment

I watched it and found it repetitive, slightly long, and with no clear conclusion. When it was all said and done I liked the thought but not the script.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        I don't think that's a controversial opinion. All I read was hate for that movie. I loved it, but I want to watch it again to see if I really loved it. Really really loved it.

I loved the first 90% of Hereditary but hated the way it ended.

i loved The Babadook but it gave me a huge case of the depressions. I will probably never watch it again. Or I might.

Didn't see It Follows or Saint Maude or Midsomar or The Lighthouse but want to. I really want to. Also I really really want to.

I think that covers the emergence of art-house horror movies. Which I like but not blindly. Not because the critics claim I should.
                        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I think this may be a complaint and not controversial.

Overrated Actors:
                          • Will Smith
                          • Tom Cruise
                          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Overrated Actors:
                            • Will Smith
                            • Tom Cruise
                            Both of those actors are very good at playing themselves. Where Tom Cruise shines is really the stunts more than the acting itself. The man does all of his stunts himself, and it's honestly impressive.

Instagram

Comment

Overrated Actors:
                              • Will Smith
                              • Tom Cruise
                              Two of my favorites of course lol.

Comment

I hate kaiju Kong!!

B

Comment

Working...
                                X