Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I am. Something must have happened with the high bidder. Woot!

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Are you adding another lettered to your collection?

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Things may have gotten interesting here.

Are you adding another lettered to your collection?

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Things may have gotten interesting here.

Did something today which I haven't done in years and that was participating in an feebay auction. Lost in the last minute of course. But I'm cool with that as I placed my best offer. I had forget how fun it is to watch the timer count down.

Missed out on a lettered copy of Indian Summer by Rick Hautala. I only own one lettered and was hoping this one would fly under the radar. It kind of did but it went above my budgeted amount.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Did something today which I haven't done in years and that was participating in an feebay auction. Lost in the last minute of course. But I'm cool with that as I placed my best offer. I had forget how fun it is to watch the timer count down.

Missed out on a lettered copy of Indian Summer by Rick Hautala. I only own one lettered and was hoping this one would fly under the radar. It kind of did but it went above my budgeted amount.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Received the Cemetery Dance Trade edition of Peter Crowther's 'Things I Didn't Know My Father Knew' today and I am puzzled. The book says that it is published by Cemetery Dance but it is not like any CD book I have every seen. It looks like a grown up PS Publishing book. I say grown up because it is oversized at 7x10. Other than that it is all PS. Art Printed on boards and extremely bright white paper. The binding appears to be glued. There are several pieces of art sprinkled throughout and at over 500 pages looks like a good value at $40.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    For any Manly Wade Wellman fans out there. I think this is a pretty good price on the Nightshade Books set. If I didn't already own it, I would have jumped on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32486989739...IAAOSwM6lhhsOW

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I spent much of Sunday working on my '18 Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle...took it out on Saturday for a long ride on an increasingly rare sunny, dry day, and ended with a tankful of ethanol-free gas and a bit of Stabil Storage…then Sunday changed the oil, cleaned and polished the bike and chain, over-inflated each tire by a couple PSI, and threw a sheet over it and called it a riding season. Did the same with my '20 BMW R1250R motorcycle a couple weeks ago…never an easy thing thing to do, but the cruel Seattle weather gods don’t care about this fair-weather rider’s feelings.

Be warned: You should all expect me to be in a bad mood until Spring of next year.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Halloween on Sunday Always feels weird, But enjoy it, nonetheless!! Happy Halloween All!!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Agreed, Thriftbooks is a gamble that doesn’t often pan out. I’ve tried them three or four times, and while one matched the description given, the others fell far short of even the basic rating they provide. The blessing is that they’re good about refunds (so must get this complaint a lot to have such an expedient process in place), but it’s just not worth the disappointment and hassle. I don’t order from them any longer, period.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    My wife really liked a few books from a series that Clive Cussler wrote and we had trouble finding them all in our local used bookstores, so she ended up buying quite a few from Thriftbooks via eBay. She's not a collector like I am, and while they were solid reading copies, they were ex-library and not something I would have.

I don't tend to have reading copies - I do have IT in paperback because I wanted to re-read that and had no desire to haul the hardcover with me while commuting via train and bus, and the Kindle reviews were not kind.

I've bought one book from Thriftbooks via eBay and it was trash. It wouldn't have been in the free bin at the used bookstore across the street it was so bad.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Correct! Just about my favorite SK book so I thought I would borrow the name.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Ok, so Ben is really Tim. I didn't realize who Ben Staad was until just now...it's been a while since I read EoTD

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    LOL. Thought I would share this here. My wife, her brother, and me were discussing Thriftbooks on a social media site. This is my wife's reply when I stated Thriftbooks can have some very rough books:

"Don't let Tim fool you. He likes Thriftbooks too! He's a book collector and a total book snob though. If it's not signed by the author, 1st edition, with a remarque by the illustrator, he's probably not buying. We literally have 2 sets of books. Reader's copies and Tim's."

She knows me very well. Anyone going into my library knows which books they can borrow and which books are off limits. By the way. I do like Thriftbooks and purchase a good amount of reading copies from them. I have zero used book stores left in my my region so they are a great resource.
    Ok, so Ben is really Tim. I didn't realize who Ben Staad was until just now...it's been a while since I read EoTD

Leave a comment:

• fanatic
    replied
    LOL. Thought I would share this here. My wife, her brother, and me were discussing Thriftbooks on a social media site. This is my wife's reply when I stated Thriftbooks can have some very rough books:

"Don't let Tim fool you. He likes Thriftbooks too! He's a book collector and a total book snob though. If it's not signed by the author, 1st edition, with a remarque by the illustrator, he's probably not buying. We literally have 2 sets of books. Reader's copies and Tim's."

She knows me very well. Anyone going into my library knows which books they can borrow and which books are off limits. By the way. I do like Thriftbooks and purchase a good amount of reading copies from them. I have zero used book stores left in my my region so they are a great resource.
    You have books you let people borrow? I applaud your generosity. My book go nowhere.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    They are really hit and miss. One time I got a signed Ray Bradbury book that I was in no way expecting. The next time I ordered from them I received a split spined piece of crap. I tend to avoid them....

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X