Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommy
    replied
    I hope so too and thank you. I lost all my PMs so I am freaking out right now. There's a lot of info I need to get out of there so I certainly hopes it comes back.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I have limited social as well. I'm guessing dtd.org will be back up and running soon but I don't have any inside knowledge.

Best of luck to you and hopefully this can all get sorted.

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
    Thank you! I'm thinking of all the friends that I'm going to lose and the community. And the wealth of History and archive of King info. I know a lot of folks are on Insta and Facebook but I refuse. It's very sad and unexpected. I feel like leaving all Social Media now but I need to sell books! Maybe my collecting days should end.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    What it said last night was Considering whether to continue with the website. Could not access anything but that msg. Now the site is completely down. I had a few sales and folks I needed to contact that I may not get paid for now. I will always get people's email addresses from now on on.
    Ironic that we were just discussing here a couple days ago about how if this CD forum goes down that advance notice would be greatly appreciated, since a sudden (albeit one vaguely forecasted for years) pulling of the plug like Shocklines and The Horror Drive-In, and now perhaps TDT, is not only is a cheap shot at its members who have invested their time and contributed their knowledge, and have created relationships, but it also creates all sorts of other issues -- like yours. Hope you get it all worked out, if TDT is indeed out for good.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    Thank you! I'm thinking of all the friends that I'm going to lose and the community. And the wealth of History and archive of King info. I know a lot of folks are on Insta and Facebook but I refuse. It's very sad and unexpected. I feel like leaving all Social Media now but I need to sell books! Maybe my collecting days should end.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    What it said last night was Considering whether to continue with the website. Could not access anything but that msg. Now the site is completely down. I had a few sales and folks I needed to contact that I may not get paid for now. I will always get people's email addresses from now on on.
    Oh, that’s a bummer.  I hope you get that sorted out.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Yeah, I swung by the site last night and was surprised to see it offline. Â A note on the page states that there’s some reconsidering going on about whether or not to keep the site active. Â It’s not my favorite hangout (never posted, but occasionally lurked), but I know that is for many others. Â I’m sure others might have more insight as to what’s going on. Â
    Interesting. I don't see that note any longer...now it's just a "page not working" / 503 error. I posted occasionally, and over the years and particularly recently saw some posts/threads periodically about the site needing financial assistance/support, so perhaps that issue finally came to a head. No idea, of course, and I hope it finds its way back...the loss of any genre forum, given how scarce they are, is unfortunate.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Yeah, I swung by the site last night and was surprised to see it offline.  A note on the page states that there’s some reconsidering going on about whether or not to keep the site active.  It’s not my favorite hangout (never posted, but occasionally lurked), but I know that is for many others.  I’m sure others might have more insight as to what’s going on.  

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I saw a note that dtd.org was having some issues. I don't go over there at all these days but I truly hope there is a solution for the forum. It contains a wealth of information for the SK collecting community.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by DanFranklin View Post
    Hey there! Had someone ping me to chime in (and a reference to Coleridge poems are always a good way to summon me!)-- the cancellation of certain trade contracts was exclusively due to issues in acquisition. Far too many more projects were taken on than we can support. I will credit it to miscommunication or simple overenthusiasm for the product, but we can only produce a certain number of books before they begin drowning each other out and everyone loses. Releases get buried, promotion fails, editing errors start to gather up, and we simply don't have that many people-hours to devote to it. We were at nearly three times that threshold for 2024. A bunch of projects had to get cut. Good projects, too. It wasn't about the quality. Which projects stayed and went was largely decided by which are locked into third party deals (for example, Feb 1st has a release with three other companies involved, etc). If we didn't cut a bunch and get our line back on course, the authors would have lost money and a book, and we would have lost some money.

This way, while they are disappointed, they keep everything. We still lose some money (due to paid advances and design work) but far less so, and we maintain the integrity of the product that does release.

The trade line editors changed, but it wasn't a "changing of the guard" effect. It was a "look under the hood at the schedule and scream" situation. The cut projects would have been inevitable either way. The contracts were sadly doomed on issuance

As for the forum itself, I've not heard anything relating to discontinuation or any issues along those lines! I just don't have time to properly engage here beyond occasional posts in the Product Update thread. I hope with Lisa Lebel joining the crew to help the trade line, things will balance out a little more and we can get back to being more interactive/responsive
    Thank you for the information. Like rain in the desert and immensely appreciated. I hope things turn around and CD can restore some of its former glory. It certainly seems like you care a great deal about the place and maybe that's the tipping point to right the ship.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    DanFranklin 

Thank you for posting over here and clarifying a few things. It's appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by DanFranklin View Post
    Hey there! Had someone ping me to chime in (and a reference to Coleridge poems are always a good way to summon me!)-- the cancellation of certain trade contracts was exclusively due to issues in acquisition. Far too many more projects were taken on than we can support. I will credit it to miscommunication or simple overenthusiasm for the product, but we can only produce a certain number of books before they begin drowning each other out and everyone loses. Releases get buried, promotion fails, editing errors start to gather up, and we simply don't have that many people-hours to devote to it. We were at nearly three times that threshold for 2024. A bunch of projects had to get cut. Good projects, too. It wasn't about the quality. Which projects stayed and went was largely decided by which are locked into third party deals (for example, Feb 1st has a release with three other companies involved, etc). If we didn't cut a bunch and get our line back on course, the authors would have lost money and a book, and we would have lost some money.

This way, while they are disappointed, they keep everything. We still lose some money (due to paid advances and design work) but far less so, and we maintain the integrity of the product that does release.

The trade line editors changed, but it wasn't a "changing of the guard" effect. It was a "look under the hood at the schedule and scream" situation. The cut projects would have been inevitable either way. The contracts were sadly doomed on issuance

As for the forum itself, I've not heard anything relating to discontinuation or any issues along those lines! I just don't have time to properly engage here beyond occasional posts in the Product Update thread. I hope with Lisa Lebel joining the crew to help the trade line, things will balance out a little more and we can get back to being more interactive/responsive
    Hi, Dan! Thank you for posting this clarification as to both the situation regarding the paperback line and the forum. Like others, I was a little dismayed and/or concerned when I heard about the contract cancellations, especially since that was the one line that seemed to, at least from a customer's perspective, be progressing well through publication. The limited edition end of things have been at a trickle and I think that hearing news about the paperback line raised even more concerns. While cancellation decisions are surely disappointing for both you guys and the authors involved, I'm hoping this right the ship a bit and leads to continued success. For all the negative comments sometimes posted on the internet, I truly believe that most folks want Cemetery Dance to thrive.

As for the forum, I'm glad to hear that it isn't going anywhere. I also want to echo all the sentiments posted over the weekend that this truly is a wonderful little corner of the internet. Frankly, I avoid all social media and this is the only place that I post. The community may be small, but it's awfully welcoming and I'd hate for the forum and the community to disappear. If the choice is ever made to shutter the forum, I hope that advance notice would be given so we could hopefully figure out a solution to keep this community afloat elsewhere.

Anyways, thanks again for popping in and shedding some light on the situation!

Leave a comment:

• DanFranklin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Seems like jeffingoff and you should talk.

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I like this community . . . $15/month to have a cloud hosted version of vBulletin with fairly limited traffic. Or $180 and I self-host it.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

You need to add a JeffWord forum to your growing biblio-enterprise.
    I'd love to.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X