Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Good luck. I'm sure there are some folks here who are members.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Well, still don't have access to the The Dark Tower site for some reason. Anybody willing to reach out to a member on that forum on my behalf?

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    I know this is a little goofy, but I just noticed today that I'm finally over a 1000 posts on this forum! I'm not the biggest poster out there; so, this feels pretty neat. Of course, at this rate speed, I won't hit 2000 posts until the year 2030. That feels insane to write!
    In the olden days, you would get %off coupons for hitting certain levels. Congrats, time and posts fly, when you're having fun.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Anybody know how long it takes to get an activation email for The Dark Tower site? Created one to reach out to a member there and I haven't received an email yet. Is it automatic or does an administrator send it out?
    Well, still don't have access to the The Dark Tower site for some reason. Anybody willing to reach out to a member on that forum on my behalf?

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Woohoo and congrats! Keep posting.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    I know this is a little goofy, but I just noticed today that I'm finally over a 1000 posts on this forum! I'm not the biggest poster out there; so, this feels pretty neat. Of course, at this rate speed, I won't hit 2000 posts until the year 2030. That feels insane to write!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Anybody know how long it takes to get an activation email for The Dark Tower site? Created one to reach out to a member there and I haven't received an email yet. Is it automatic or does an administrator send it out?

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    That is pretty cool.

I went ahead and created a group.

As soon as I figure out how to give a link to sign up and/or subscribe, I'll start a separate thread. Whether it's destined to be active or just a backup to this forum, should something unfortunate happen to it, will depend on the interest here from the community, but either way I think it'll be a nice alternative to have in place.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    That is pretty cool.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Short of someone gathering up all the various emails and starting an email chain -- or a Groups.io email-list account (the expense of which I have no idea***) -- there has to be a platform of some type to host things. I'm not sure it's economically feasible for anyone to host a set of boards for ten, twenty active and participating folks, so it then defaults to an existing platform. It doesn't seem like many of us are on Facebook...I'm not, either. I am on Twitter, and while I know it has its share of proponents and critics, I don't foresee leaving so I can be found there, and it's easy to hashtag folks' User I.D.s to form a "group" tweet for discussion, etc. I'm also on BlueSky, but rarely visit, and when I do I find that it seems few others visit, either.

It's funny that the old way of hosting small conversations, i.e. forums, is by many measures the best way...but unfortunately being the "best way" didn't save video stores, either.

*** EDIT: Actually, there is a free option, and it's probably sufficient for our needs, with a limit of 100 members: https://groups.io/static/pricing
    • Unlimited Messages
    • Up to 100 Members
    • Advanced Moderation Features
    • 1GB Storage Space

Anyhow, food for thought.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Was at my local Half Price Books over the weekend and scored like-new hardcover copies of Richar Laymon's "The Stake" and Richard Matheson's "Earthbound". Pretty much over the moon to find them and in that condition. Have never read either story even though I'm a big fan of both authors.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I don't have the technical knowledge, but maybe we should come up with a contingency method of staying in touch if something crazy happens. Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts??
    Short of someone gathering up all the various emails and starting an email chain -- or a Groups.io email-list account (the expense of which I have no idea***) -- there has to be a platform of some type to host things. I'm not sure it's economically feasible for anyone to host a set of boards for ten, twenty active and participating folks, so it then defaults to an existing platform. It doesn't seem like many of us are on Facebook...I'm not, either. I am on Twitter, and while I know it has its share of proponents and critics, I don't foresee leaving so I can be found there, and it's easy to hashtag folks' User I.D.s to form a "group" tweet for discussion, etc. I'm also on BlueSky, but rarely visit, and when I do I find that it seems few others visit, either.

It's funny that the old way of hosting small conversations, i.e. forums, is by many measures the best way...but unfortunately being the "best way" didn't save video stores, either.

*** EDIT: Actually, there is a free option, and it's probably sufficient for our needs, with a limit of 100 members: https://groups.io/static/pricing
    • Unlimited Messages
    • Up to 100 Members
    • Advanced Moderation Features
    • 1GB Storage Space

Anyhow, food for thought.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 02-05-2024, 12:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I don't remember the circumstances, but didn't TDT get lost once before? They changed the URL from .com to .org if I'm remembering right. But that would have been a few lifetimes ago.

I don't post much over there, but do lurk. Not a fan of some of the entitlement to all things King that a few of the members show, but it is probably the best source on collecting King there is.

These forums aren't expensive to run, but they're not cheap either.

This weekend, I was at dinner with a few people who were friends with my wife's friend (if that makes any sense), and one of the guys I was talking to had a similar discussion to this with me. We were reminiscing about the old days of USENET, and also the old BBS forums that were out there. We talked about how libraries of this type of info are all moving (or moved) to Facebook and those of us who don't use that platform lose out. I don't like how one place is the source of all of this info because it's so easy to lose it. When Photobucket killed their free accounts and external leaking a few years ago, it devastated so many forums like this because they were literally the only place in all of the internet that had pictures of whatever it was you were looking for. I would have never been able to know how to fix the liftgate mechanism of a car I owned (since that entire line was canceled) without those pictures.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by khaos View Post
    I haven't seen any specific books cancelled. Was it posted by authors themselves? There is only one I know of coming out I'd be bummed if was cancelled.
    Yes, posted by the authors themselves:

https://twitter.com/CSHumble/status/1749667123960381538
    https://twitter.com/MReganFiction/st...66880943772085
    https://twitter.com/TheLPHernandez/s...52671010013687

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Ironic that we were just discussing here a couple days ago about how if this CD forum goes down that advance notice would be greatly appreciated, since a sudden (albeit one vaguely forecasted for years) pulling of the plug like Shocklines and The Horror Drive-In, and now perhaps TDT, is not only is a cheap shot at its members who have invested their time and contributed their knowledge, and have created relationships, but it also creates all sorts of other issues -- like yours. Hope you get it all worked out, if TDT is indeed out for good.
    I don't have the technical knowledge, but maybe we should come up with a contingency method of staying in touch if something crazy happens. Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts??

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommy View Post
    I hope so too and thank you. I lost all my PMs so I am freaking out right now. There's a lot of info I need to get out of there so I certainly hopes it comes back.
    I just checked and TDT is back up for now. i would recommend anyone relying on either of these websites for communication to get that info saved to your own devices.
    Last edited by Martin; 02-01-2024, 10:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• khaos
    replied
    I haven't seen any specific books cancelled. Was it posted by authors themselves? There is only one I know of coming out I'd be bummed if was cancelled.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X