No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hadn't heard of that one before. I don't think they sell it in my market. Mines a Troy-Bilt with a pretty good engine on it. The failure is that the steering fails due to garbage parts. Hopefully this new model has been upgraded. Time will tell.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

I bought a Toro Timemaster 30" in 2014 for $1099, and now it's $1499 at Home Depot (1 in stock!). It's running fine, though. I change the oil at the start of each season, and that's about it.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Left the last book collecting group I was in on FB today. Drama that didn't belong followed by a torrent of hateful misguided activists who think their reaction and replies were so much better and more righteous than the original posters comment.

It was a great reminder why social media truly isn't social and why places like this are so rare and special.

I am so thankful this forum is still up and running.
      It can be unhealthy environment for sure. As far as collecting or collecting related Facebook groups; I'm currently only following 19th Edition, Lividian, and Suntup. I rarely actively participate in them though.

Comment

Yep. I don't understand why folks can't communicate properly these days.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

It can be unhealthy environment for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          Left the last book collecting group I was in on FB today. Drama that didn't belong followed by a torrent of hateful misguided activists who think their reaction and replies were so much better and more righteous than the original posters comment.

It was a great reminder why social media truly isn't social and why places like this are so rare and special.

I am so thankful this forum is still up and running.
          Man, that's a bummer to hear. That's why I stay away from almost every social media platform. I only post here and on Thunderstorm's Clubhouse page occasionally. Beyond that, I'm not interested. Nuance in discussion has never been the strength of the internet or social media, neither has being able to have a difference in opinion or viewpoint but still be friendly. "Self-righteous", by far, has become social media's favorite flavor.

We say it a lot here, but this is truly a nice little haven to spend some time. There's not a flurry of posts, but, man, everyone is chill and pretty darn positive. I would be very sad to see this forum disappear.

Comment

Sock, what have you heard LOL!!!!

Comment

I've been tempted several times over the last year to open a Facebook account in order to sell ltd. ed. books, since I'm trying -- though, admittedly, not making much progress -- in winnowing my collection down so our next move (in a few years) won't involve 4000 books. I'd really like to get it down to a core 1000 books (though I'd be pleased to even get down to 2000), and that means a lot of books have to move. With eBay now demanding 14% of both item and shipping, and the feds requiring eBay to report all sales so now I have to pay income tax on all sales, and gas making a trip to the PO at least $3 - $5, that's a big chunk that's not going into my pocket -- and so it seems like Facebook, with its classified boards, would be a great place to sell these books and get 100% of the revenue...but I'm just not sure it's worth it. We'll see.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                I've been tempted several times over the last year to open a Facebook account in order to sell ltd. ed. books, since I'm trying -- though, admittedly, not making much progress -- in winnowing my collection down so our next move (in a few years) won't involve 4000 books. I'd really like to get it down to a core 1000 books (though I'd be pleased to even get down to 2000), and that means a lot of books have to move. With eBay now demanding 14% of both item and shipping, and the feds requiring eBay to report all sales so now I have to pay income tax on all sales, and gas making a trip to the PO at least $3 - $5, that's a big chunk that's not going into my pocket -- and so it seems like Facebook, with its classified boards, would be a great place to sell these books and get 100% of the revenue...but I'm just not sure it's worth it. We'll see.
                Okay, first, 4000 books! That's a heck of a collection! Wow!

And I agree about eBay. It's almost impossible to make any money off a book selling there. Including shipping to calculate their fees is ridiculous. Not to mention the extra stinger of a $0.50 per transaction fee they add on for some reason. I sold enough books this year to break the threshold on being reported for income tax purposes so we'll see how that turns out. I might be wrong, but wouldn't a seller only have to pay income tax on any profit they made?

I'd be interested in your Facebook selling experiences if you try it. I don't really want to go down that rabbit hole, but I do have about 50 books I'm looking to sell, so that might be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Okay, first, 4000 books! That's a heck of a collection! Wow!

And I agree about eBay. It's almost impossible to make any money off a book selling there. Including shipping to calculate their fees is ridiculous. Not to mention the extra stinger of a $0.50 per transaction fee they add on for some reason. I sold enough books this year to break the threshold on being reported for income tax purposes so we'll see how that turns out. I might be wrong, but wouldn't a seller only have to pay income tax on any profit they made?

I'd be interested in your Facebook selling experiences if you try it. I don't really want to go down that rabbit hole, but I do have about 50 books I'm looking to sell, so that might be an option.
                  Will do.

R.e. income tax: No, unfortunately the IRS counts all eBay income as taxable income *unless* you can prove the depreciation of the items. If you have a receipt that shows you paid $50 for a book and it sold for $20, then you can prove it's a depreciated item and that it's free of tax. But for those of us -- most of us, I assume -- who have no such records, the default assumption by the feds is that it's all profit and is due to be taxed.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

OT post here -- New addition. Meet Pip. I've had him for two weeks as of tomorrow. He is a Jack Russell Terrier and Chihuahua mix. He's named after a dog we had who lived to be 17. I wanted this dog, Pip, to have part of Flip's (The 17 year old dog) name. He slept on a rug on my laundry basket for the first day or so. He's also known as Demon Spawn.

Cap
                    Attached Files
                    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                      OT post here -- New addition. Meet Pip. I've had him for two weeks as of tomorrow. He is a Jack Russell Terrier and Chihuahua mix. He's named after a dog we had who lived to be 17. I wanted this dog, Pip, to have part of Flip's (The 17 year old dog) name. He slept on a rug on my laundry basket for the first day or so. He's also known as Demon Spawn.

Cap
                      Congratulations on the addition to your family. Makes me think of LT's Theory of Pets.

Comment

Hope this new family member brings you many years of joy. Pip sure is cute!

Originally posted by c marvel View Post

Cap

Comment

Cute pup!

Comment

This isn't a comic book site, but I figured I'd post here anyways.

I'm very sad to hear that comic book writer Alan Grant has passed away. His run on the Batman titles--especially the very early 90's Detective Comics issues--were my very first Batman comics. When I think of Batman comics, I immediately go to Alan Grant and Chuck Dixon. I think I'm gonna go dust off some of those old back issues to honor the man.

Comment

May he Rest in Peace. It's always sad to hear of anyone's passing.

I'm very sad to hear that comic book writer Alan Grant has passed away. His run on the Batman titles--especially the very early 90's Detective Comics issues--were my very first Batman comics. When I think of Batman comics, I immediately go to Alan Grant and Chuck Dixon. I think I'm gonna go dust off some of those old back issues to honor the man.

Comment

I know his name, but having troubling remembering why I know him. Batman is too general - some 2000 A.D. with Simon Bisley. Still, sucks to hear of anyone's passing, and now it's beginning to feel like a lot of people I "know" are hitting that old age era of life.

Comment

Working...
                                X