No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight I read about Clickers Never Die which is the latest book in the Clickers series. I missed getting the previous book Clickers Forever. Aarrgghh! I'm thinking about selling my Clickers books, I have the first four, all w. the same #. Selling the books would be less messy than shooting myself.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
      Tonight I read about Clickers Never Die which is the latest book in the Clickers series. I missed getting the previous book Clickers Forever. Aarrgghh! I'm thinking about selling my Clickers books, I have the first four, all w. the same #. Selling the books would be less messy than shooting myself.

Cap
      They did release Clickers Forever in a trade if you just want to read it. I had to buy one of each since I appear in one of the stories.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post

Cap
        Looks like Camelot has a copy of Clickers Forever for $200 should you want to keep your set complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          Wrapped up taxes today. It went pretty well. We will get a return of $210 and some change. Woohoo! I like it when we get this close but don't owe anything. We did a few years with the mindset of paying at the end of the year but the IRS is such a pain to contact and deal with so we adjusted things a bit.
          We owed $1500 federal but got $310 back from the state. Really hated writing that check, I mean, entering my routing and account numbers on a website, but am glad I have the money to pay it.

Comment

Sadly we are unable to use any of the online services with the IRS. It mainly has to do with my wife's identity being stolen multiple times. We have a pin we have to use now and cannot access online services. It all is done over the mail and via phone. It's a real pain.

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

entering my routing and account numbers on a website, but am glad I have the money to pay it.
            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I should really figure out our W4s again. We got just over $3k back this year, mostly in state taxes. Something is not set up properly with our filing status or number of dependents.

Comment

I'm so happy to live somewhere without state income tax. The downside is the social programs take a hit but there is good and bad with everything.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                I should really figure out our W4s again. We got just over $3k back this year, mostly in state taxes. Something is not set up properly with our filing status or number of dependents.

Comment

I'm so happy to live somewhere without state income tax. The downside is the social programs take a hit but there is good and bad with everything.
                  I remember when my brother-in-law moved to Florida, he said that none of the streetlights near his house were working. He called to report that, and was told that there was a $50 per year charge to have the light turned on, and none of his neighbors were paying it He paid, so now he has light outside his house at night.

I'll definitely be looking hard at the overall tax situation when we figure out where we're retiring to.

Comment

Ha. That is certainly one thing I didn't know was different. I assumed streetlights were something that was always paid for by the consumer.

It is the same in my part of Florida. If you want a streetlight you have to pay for it. If there is no streetlight there is an upcharge to have one installed and then a separate fee to have it turned on.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

I remember when my brother-in-law moved to Florida, he said that none of the streetlights near his house were working. He called to report that, and was told that there was a $50 per year charge to have the light turned on, and none of his neighbors were paying it He paid, so now he has light outside his house at night.

I'll definitely be looking hard at the overall tax situation when we figure out where we're retiring to.

Comment

In my experience how the taxes are used has little bearing on how they were collected. I Live in Washington state with no income tax and about 8.5% sales tax. Just to my south is Oregon. No sates tax but a 9% income tax. Southwest Washington has better social services, better schools, better roads lower property tax than Northwest Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        In my experience how the taxes are used has little bearing on how they were collected. I Live in Washington state with no income tax and about 8.5% sales tax.
                        Lucky. Here in the NE area of WA’s King County the sales tax rate is 10.2%. At least I don’t live in the cesspool that is downtown Seattle, and have to see daily those tax dollars squandered on poorly conceived social programs and ideological agendas that have ruined a once beautiful city.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Lucky. Here in the NE area of WA’s King County the sales tax rate is 10.2%. At least I don’t live in the cesspool that is downtown Seattle, and have to see daily those tax dollars squandered on poorly conceived social programs and ideological agendas that have ruined a once beautiful city.
                          I knew it was higher but did not realize it was that much higher up north. I think it is actually 8.8% inside Vancouver city limits and 8.5 in unincorporated Clark County. For many years I had to pay both but working from home has eliminated the Oregon income tax.

I have no issue with how Vancouver and Clark Couny are using the taxes they collect. We have issues but the roads are well maintained, and the development has been pretty smart. Here is a photo of our new Waterfront in Downtown Vancouver. It is less than half developed but is already a destination point for people in both NW Oregon and SW Washington.
                          Vancouver Warerfront.jpg
                          Last edited by Martin; 04-24-2022, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Looks nice, and good to see a city working to improve things to attract visitors and encourage private and corporate business. The Seattle city council and other officials could learn a lot from that approach. Yes, Seattle is presently redesigning its own waterfront area, but it does so even as it turns a blind eye to broad and endemic issues that aren’t at all addressed by slapping on some lipstick on a few blocks of waterfront.
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

As some of you may remember I have an adult age son who is autistic. He wrote a very short e-book and listed it on Amazon. To be honest the book is a bit nonsensical but, as his parents, we find some of the stories funny. If you would like to check it out I'm sure he would greatly appreciate it.

If you happen to check it out, and you like it, please share the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If this is not allowed on the forum just let me know.

P.S. We were a bit worried about him doing this as he has extreme reaction(s) to being criticized. Hopefully he will receive some positive replies and this will be an experience that builds him up a bit. Anyway. Done with the ramble.
                              Last edited by Ben Staad; 04-28-2022, 03:35 PM.

Comment

As some of you may remember I have an adult age son who is autistic. He wrote a very short e-book and listed it on Amazon. To be honest the book is a bit nonsensical but, as his parents, we find some of the stories funny. If you would like to check it out I'm sure he would greatly appreciate it.

If you happen to check it out, and you like it, please share the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If this is not allowed on the forum just let me know.

P.S. We were a bit worried about him doing this as he has extreme reaction(s) to being criticized. Hopefully he will receive some positive replies and this will be an experience that builds him up a bit. Anyway. Done with the ramble.
                                Thanks for the link. Purchased, not sure when I will get to reading it though.

Comment

Working...
                                X