X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Asked a coworker what books they have recently read and was told about books they listened to in the car. I may have come off as slightly snobbish when I responded that I don't consider listening to audiobooks as reading. To me, they are two different things. I personally never listen to audiobooks. I don't find the same enjoyment level as when physically reading a book and don't want the story spoiled by potentially not liking the narrator. If I am driving or doing some other physical activity that prevents reading, I would much prefer to just listen to music and find time later on to actually sit down and read. Anyone feel the same way or have I pushed into snobsville?
    I certainly do not take offense from your comment but could not disagree more. I normally have about an even split between audio and physical books. For me the experience is similar as I am taking in a story either way. With both I find that distractions can reduce the effectiveness of how I take in the story. I will not read a physical book, nor will I read an audiobook if I am not in a position to take in and comprehend the story. I find I am less able to hold my attention to a story tougher when using an e-reader. For that reason I generally only consume short stories using that method. Do I look down on those who find enjoyment in that medium? No, but it is not for me. Your views on audio books does not lessen the experience for those who choose to read stories in that medium. After I have finished a book the lasting impact the story has on me is based solely based on the source material not the medium. So why is it different other than personal tastes? Your views on how you choose to read are yours and thusly are correct for you. Is telling someone that the way they choose to read is not reading because you do not get enjoyment out of it that they do snobbish? Probably. If someone told me that I would put as much stock in it as I have on the many occasions people have told me I should read a real story instead of that Stephen King crap. Truth is I like Stephen King and they do not. I have no problem with that but they do.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Assuming I were blind; you and I couldn't have a deep discussion regarding a book because you physically read it and I only listened to it. I don't know you from Adam, but as any audiobook listener, that statement deeply offends me.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post

That's actually the most recent version of those. He did them 2 or 3 times before that. There were even some Christmas themed ones. I don't have any photos of those though.
    I would love to seethose!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Asked a coworker what books they have recently read and was told about books they listened to in the car. I may have come off as slightly snobbish when I responded that I don't consider listening to audiobooks as reading. To me, they are two different things. I personally never listen to audiobooks. I don't find the same enjoyment level as when physically reading a book and don't want the story spoiled by potentially not liking the narrator. If I am driving or doing some other physical activity that prevents reading, I would much prefer to just listen to music and find time later on to actually sit down and read. Anyone feel the same way or have I pushed into snobsville?

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Yep, that's them. 2013? Have I been around here that long to remember those? (Yep - right there - joined Oct 2013 . . .)

That's actually the most recent version of those. He did them 2 or 3 times before that. There were even some Christmas themed ones. I don't have any photos of those though.

Leave a comment:

• JJ123
    replied
    Here's a random thought on the movie Freaky, coming soon from Blumhouse.

It probably would have been a really good horror film, if...

It had been done with a serious tone. Disappointing that it is a comedy in the same category of Happy Death Day. That too was marred by its tone, but I was okay with it for the most part (thought the sequel was very weak, though). But this current film, with Vince Vaughn being funny, etc....the concept begs for a serious treatment (I guess you could say it is a riff on one of my favorite films, Satan's Little Helper) instead of a broad-comedic one...

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Happy Halloween!

Love the pumpkin!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Happy Halloween!
    covid-halloween.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Thanks! I'm willing to mail you a laser printer version signed and number by her husband. 1/1 - taking all offers. I'll even fold it into thirds for you.

LOL. No folding!

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Yep, that's them. 2013? Have I been around here that long to remember those? (Yep - right there - joined Oct 2013 . . .)

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    GAK.jpg

Here They are LOL! I was so glad I bought these. I was hoping it would become an annual thing. The date on these is 2013. I think you are right Martin, I did hear he had pasted away.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Thanks! I'm willing to mail you a laser printer version signed and number by her husband. 1/1 - taking all offers. I'll even fold it into thirds for you.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    She did a nice job on it, Jason.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I love Camelot Books. They really went out of their way last year for me. I ordered a group of books, for Christmas, for my daughter and Kim was a joy to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    I usually order my PS titles from Camelot, however I would like to be able to take advantage of their sales. Last year around Christmas they had a fantastic sale and the shipping was reasonable. I think I read on their site that rates for the Royal Mail had been increased. Probably be a long while before I buy direct again. I also buy Swan River and Tartarus Press books from camelot.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Originally posted by c marvel View Post

During the big shutdown in Calif that lasted approx 3 months where I live I saw one book and a 3 book set at the PS Publishing PS2 site. I was very tempted and did not make a purchase. Now looking back I'm kicking myself. The 3 book set was a PC set for 59 Euro. I'm not sure what the shipping was at the time. Today the shipping would be 15 Euro for one book. It could be a long time before I order again from PS Publishing. I will add my last order from them for one book was a borderline major disappointment.

Cap
    It's best in the current climate to try and order overseas publisher's books from domestic sources. Understood not always possible and the shipping cost can kill any appeal to a sale.

Leave a comment:

• c marvel
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    PS is having a nice sale, however, be aware of the cost of shipping.
    During the big shutdown in Calif that lasted approx 3 months where I live I saw one book and a 3 book set at the PS Publishing PS2 site. I was very tempted and did not make a purchase. Now looking back I'm kicking myself. The 3 book set was a PC set for 59 Euro. I'm not sure what the shipping was at the time. Today the shipping would be 15 Euro for one book. It could be a long time before I order again from PS Publishing. I will add my last order from them for one book was a borderline major disappointment.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 10-31-2020, 02:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X