Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
    I have now received both vaccine shots which I am happy about. According to a news article I just looked at North Dakota is #2 in Covid positivity in the US. That is not good at all. Actually that is horrible. If it still looks this way in July there is just no way I'll be in N Dakota/Minn in August. I was born and grew up in North Dakota. I've heard the airlines are no longer spacing between seats. The chances of my making a trip home seem to sadly be going downhill. A trip home would do me a lot of good, I just don't see it happening.

Cap
    Hope things will be better by then and you can get home.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Hope things will be better by then and you can get home.
      Me too. I am not counting on a trip home this year. A couple of weeks ago I read that the governor of North Dakota was basically talking about getting people in the state into wearing masks again. I was left with the impression that he was more concerned about keeping his political bacon intact and actual concern about the people was secondary.

Cap
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Decided to go for a drive today. Have been thinking about going to White River Falls but it would be a five hour round trip drive. Opted instead for Horse Thief Lake along the Columbia river and took some new photos of the petroglyphs.
        First up is Horse Thief Butte above the lake.
        DSC_0888.JPG
        There were a few climbers on the Butte:
        DSC_0889.JPG
        Before The Dalles damn was built in the 1950's several of the petroglyphs were extracted from the valley and placed above the water line. Several more are buried in the Columbia river. Over the last several years I have noticed what appears to be an accelerating deterioration of the petroglyphs. I believe they are in an area that is overly exposed to the elements. Here are a few that still look good.
        DSC_0818.JPGDSC_0844.JPGDSC_0846.JPG
        DSC_0885.JPG
        Perfect weather today. A few clouds and 70 degrees!

Comment

Very neat, glad you could get out Martin. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Those are amazing photos. Thank you very much for sharing.
            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Thank you guys. I will probably venture over to White River Falls soon. More pictures to come.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                  Nice!
                  Thanks. I am trying to get back into photography so I plan on taking several trips this summer and taking lots of pictures. I used to be a pretty good photographer but between what I have forgotten and the photo technology changing to digital I am almost starting from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Thanks. I am trying to get back into photography so I plan on taking several trips this summer and taking lots of pictures. I used to be a pretty good photographer but between what I have forgotten and the photo technology changing to digital I am almost starting from scratch.
                    That's awesome. I have a great appreciation for photography done well. It's always been more to my liking vs paintings and whatnot.

Comment

That's awesome. I have a great appreciation for photography done well. It's always been more to my liking vs paintings and whatnot.
                      I was fortunate to attend a Middle School with a color lab, of course my high school only had black and white. It one time I was proficient at both color and black and white film developing. I had a good understanding push processing Ektachrome as well as shutter priority vs aperture priority.

At this point I basically know "point and shoot" and the processing and developing is all done via Adobe. I am re-acquainting myself with different techniques of taking pictures and once I have that down I will purchase Adobe and begin learning that side of things.

Comment

I was fortunate to attend a Middle School with a color lab, of course my high school only had black and white. It one time I was proficient at both color and black and white film developing. I had a good understanding push processing Ektachrome as well as shutter priority vs aperture priority.

At this point I basically know "point and shoot" and the processing and developing is all done via Adobe. I am re-acquainting myself with different techniques of taking pictures and once I have that down I will purchase Adobe and begin learning that side of things.
                        All Greek to me but I'll still be here owwwing and ahhhing. Not a creative gene in my body. So I'm left to bask in the glow of others.

Comment

All Greek to me but I'll still be here owwwing and ahhhing. Not a creative gene in my body. So I'm left to bask in the glow of others.
                          I took some spectacular photos back in the late 70s early 80s. The plan is to get back to what I did then. I am not even close at this point.

Comment

I took some spectacular photos back in the late 70s early 80s. The plan is to get back to what I did then. I am not even close at this point.
                            I'd love to see them if you have a way of sharing.

Comment

I'd love to see them if you have a way of sharing.
                              Many are lost and most that remain are on ektachrome slides. I am planning to have the slides converted to digital at some point and I can share them at that time. The bad news is that the slides from the time I stumbled on the filming of Goonies appear to be lost. Boy, I wish I still had those. I also still have a pretty good collection of Cokin slides. Once I get an adapter to allow them to fit the current camera I will get more creative.

I do have a personal website. it is currently fully dedicated to my wife. At some point I will probably start sharing both old and new photos there.

Comment

Many are lost and most that remain are on ektachrome slides. I am planning to have the slides converted to digital at some point and I can share them at that time. The bad news is that the slides from the time I stumbled on the filming of Goonies appear to be lost. Boy, I wish I still had those. I also still have a pretty good collection of Cokin slides. Once I get an adapter to allow them to fit the current camera I will get more creative.

I do have a personal website. it is currently fully dedicated to my wife. At some point I will probably start sharing both old and new photos there.
                                Sounds good. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X