Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    This happened yesterday...Person ran a red light and -it appears- totaled our less than a year old car. Everyone was okay but we are both very sore and tired today.

KIMG0309.jpeg
    My previous car was a Saturn SL2 which I drove for 10 years. It was totalled when a pilot car backed into it (My car) in a construction zone. The nose of the car was completely crumpled like an accordion. At the time Saturn had been out of business for approx. 4 years and the body shop told me they would not be able to get parts for my SL2. I think, not sure, the accident resulted in structural damage to my SL2. Thinking back, I guess I'm lucky that the air bags didn't deploy.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
      Hi everyone, I haven’t visited these forums in a very long time. I see some familiar names that I’ve missed. Hope everyone is doing well, all things considered these days.
      - Patrick
      Welcome back. Make sure you jump in!!

Comment

Hello, Patrick. Hope you have been well.

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
        Hi everyone, I haven’t visited these forums in a very long time. I see some familiar names that I’ve missed. Hope everyone is doing well, all things considered these days.
        - Patrick
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I have a package coming from CD today. Not actually sure what it is. I love surprises.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            I have a package coming from CD today. Not actually sure what it is. I love surprises.
            My mystery package was Chart of Darkness. I really liked the Chapbook and am looking forward to this. May try and find time to dip into it tonight.

Comment

Isn't it fun to receive a mystery package? The older I get the more of these show up! LOL LOL

My mystery package was Chart of Darkness. I really liked the Chapbook and am looking forward to this. May try and find time to dip into it tonight.

Comment

Spent the last 4-5 weeks compiling quotes for a new roof. All in all I received seven quotes for the work. Had numbers from 10K to 15K with all but one requesting 50% down on agreeing to the contract. Went with the one company that didn't require anything down and feel okay about that part of it but not happy about the 11K I'm about to spend.

Just 2 years ago, last time I checked roofing prices, everything was under 9K with that on the high end. Pricing has sure changed in a very short period of time.

Comment

I work part time for book money at a hardwoods lumber company and ever since covid started everything in the lumber industry has skyrocketed.

Comment

Spent the last 4-5 weeks compiling quotes for a new roof. All in all I received seven quotes for the work. Had numbers from 10K to 15K with all but one requesting 50% down on agreeing to the contract. Went with the one company that didn't require anything down and feel okay about that part of it but not happy about the 11K I'm about to spend.

Just 2 years ago, last time I checked roofing prices, everything was under 9K with that on the high end. Pricing has sure changed in a very short period of time.
                    I have recently contracted for a new roof. Costing me $13,500 with a 10% cash discount. I did pay 50% upfront, everyone I spoke with required that. I do want this roof to be the last one I buy so I went all in. It has a 50% warranty with no proration for the first 30 years and no limit on winds for coverage. Checked with a neighbor who just went with a 30 year prorated roof last summer and they paid $12,500 so I am comfortable with the price. A couple of people in the neighborhood had their roofs replaced a few years back and they were all in the $8,000 to $9.000 range. So yes, roofing costs have gone up significantly. Was not sure if that was just around here but your experience sounds like it happened across the board. Now I am going to have to try and find out what is driving the prices up.

Comment

I think we are on separate sides of the Country but here in Florida the cost for all construction material has skyrocketed. I think most of that was COVID slowing down production, limiting availability, and now demand is high so prices continue to climb with the market demand.

I have recently contracted for a new roof. Costing me $13,500 with a 10% cash discount. I did pay 50% upfront, everyone I spoke with required that. I do want this roof to be the last one I buy so I went all in. It has a 50% warranty with no proration for the first 30 years and no limit on winds for coverage. Checked with a neighbor who just went with a 30 year prorated roof last summer and they paid $12,500 so I am comfortable with the price. A couple of people in the neighborhood had their roofs replaced a few years back and they were all in the $8,000 to $9.000 range. So yes, roofing costs have gone up significantly. Was not sure if that was just around here but your experience sounds like it happened across the board. Now I am going to have to try and find out what is driving the prices up.

Comment

I think we are on separate sides of the Country but here in Florida the cost for all construction material has skyrocketed. I think most of that was COVID slowing down production, limiting availability, and now demand is high so prices continue to climb with the market demand.

That makes sense. I knew lumber had skyrocketed but had not associated it with roofing. I was a bit shocked when the quotes started coming in but after checking with my neighbor I accepted that they were representative of the market.

Comment

I'm getting nervous about our roof. They say asphalt shingle/composition roofs average about 20 years, and ours is 19 years old and has been subject to very wet Washington State winters and springs. I've had it gently cleaned several times and inspected, and all looks good, but there's no getting around the age factor. I'd hate to have to replace it in the middle of a price spike, though I suppose since it's not wood shake perhaps it won't be quite as bad as it could be, given the lumber/wood shortage. Still...hoping for another couple years out of this one.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I'm getting nervous about our roof. They say asphalt shingle/composition roofs average about 20 years, and ours is 19 years old and has been subject to very wet Washington State winters and springs. I've had it gently cleaned several times and inspected, and all looks good, but there's no getting around the age factor. I'd hate to have to replace it in the middle of a price spike, though I suppose since it's not wood shake perhaps it won't be quite as bad as it could be, given the lumber/wood shortage. Still...hoping for another couple years out of this one.
                            I am 25 years in on mine and I live on the north slope of a large hill. That subjects us to very little direct sun in the winter months. The maple tree in the front looks like it is a rainforest with all the moss. I take good care of the roof and I am one of the last in the neighborhood to replace mine but it was time. I wanted to replace before it developed leaks and became an even more expensive effort.

Comment

I am 25 years in on mine and I live on the north slope of a large hill. That subjects us to very little direct sun in the winter months. The maple tree in the front looks like it is a rainforest with all the moss. I take good care of the roof and I am one of the last in the neighborhood to replace mine but it was time. I wanted to replace before it developed leaks and became an even more expensive effort.
                              I just replaced mine. It's supposed last 50 years they say, so I'll only have to replace it one more time....LOl!!!

Comment

I have now received both vaccine shots which I am happy about. According to a news article I just looked at North Dakota is #2 in Covid positivity in the US. That is not good at all. Actually that is horrible. If it still looks this way in July there is just no way I'll be in N Dakota/Minn in August. I was born and grew up in North Dakota. I've heard the airlines are no longer spacing between seats. The chances of my making a trip home seem to sadly be going downhill. A trip home would do me a lot of good, I just don't see it happening.

Cap
                                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X