No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the replies. I think I worry too much what others may think coupled with what Ron mentioned. I like to collect books for my enjoyment. Once I introduce the thought of buying books to fund my enjoyment of buying books or buying books for nothing but profit I start feeling differently about what I am doing. It changes the dynamic, and my joy, in book collecting.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Thank you for the replies. I think I worry too much what others may think coupled with what Ron mentioned. I like to collect books for my enjoyment. Once I introduce the thought of buying books to fund my enjoyment of buying books or buying books for nothing but profit I start feeling differently about what I am doing. It changes the dynamic, and my joy, in book collecting.
      Completely agree. Keep it something you enjoy not a job.

Comment

I had an appt. today (Wednesday). I had time to go into my favorite thrift shop since my appt. wasn't until 3:30 pm. I made what I think is a cool find. It's a two book slipcased set consisting of Treasure Island by R. L. Stevenson and Tales From King Arthur-This book was edited by Andrew Lang. The set was published in 2003 by Wordsworth Editions. When I went to the cashier she said "There wasn't a price?" and I replied that I hadn't seen a price. The cashier rang in a price, items were on sale today and I paid .81 cents for this nice two book slipcased set. When I made it home I cleaned the books and double checked the condition and I only see one minor scuff on the slipcase. BOO YEAH!!

Cap
        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
          I had an appt. today (Wednesday). I had time to go into my favorite thrift shop since my appt. wasn't until 3:30 pm. I made what I think is a cool find. It's a two book slipcased set consisting of Treasure Island by R. L. Stevenson and Tales From King Arthur-This book was edited by Andrew Lang. The set was published in 2003 by Wordsworth Editions. When I went to the cashier she said "There wasn't a price?" and I replied that I hadn't seen a price. The cashier rang in a price, items were on sale today and I paid .81 cents for this nice two book slipcased set. When I made it home I cleaned the books and double checked the condition and I only see one minor scuff on the slipcase. BOO YEAH!!

Cap
          Fantastic find, congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
            Cap
            Nice find! I always remember the Admiral Benbow Inn from Treasure Island. https://study.com/academy/lesson/the...re-island.html

Comment

I always love hearing that people score at thrift stores. Way to go!

Comment

Ughh. Received a package from Brodart -very excited- and now cannot find my bone knife/folder!

Comment

Still haven't found my bone folder.

On a separate comment. Do Folio Society books actually go out of print? They just released a copy of The Road and they have Something Wicked This Way Comes as well. I would like them both however they are a little costly right now and charge about $38 for shipping. I would prefer to wait and see if the price(s) go down or see if I can receive a coupon or discount.

Thanks!

Comment

Still haven't found my bone folder.

On a separate comment. Do Folio Society books actually go out of print? They just released a copy of The Road and they have Something Wicked This Way Comes as well. I would like them both however they are a little costly right now and charge about $38 for shipping. I would prefer to wait and see if the price(s) go down or see if I can receive a coupon or discount.

Thanks!
                    Yes, they do go out of print, and become unavailable for ordering. There are a couple of books like that that I wouldn’t mind having, but they’re no longer available, unfortunately. I ordered THE ROAD this morning and didn’t hesitate, just for that reason…I need this book, and any guess as to how long it will stay in print is just speculation, and I didn’t want to gamble on this one. Worse, the good ones rarely come up on the aftermarket, for whatever reason.

By the way, I was only charged $18 for shipping (still very high, but not $38 high), so make sure you’re on the correct site for your region, and have selected the standard shipping, not Priority.
                    Last edited by RonClinton; 03-10-2021, 03:18 PM.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I ordered this and thank you for the reply and note about shipping. I did have priority checked...Duh!

I have a 1st Edition of this book already but I really like the looks of this one.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Yes, they do go out of print, and become unavailable for ordering. There are a couple of books like that that I wouldn’t mind having, but they’re no longer available, unfortunately. I ordered THE ROAD this morning and didn’t hesitate, just for that reason…I need this book, and any guess as to how long it will stay in print is just speculation, and I didn’t want to gamble on this one. Worse, the good ones rarely come up on the aftermarket, for whatever reason.

By the way, I was only charged $18 for shipping (still very high, but not $38 high), so make sure you’re on the correct site for your region, and have selected the standard shipping, not Priority.

Comment

Anyone else ever have their bank stop a transaction to Folio and request confirmation first? Well mine did this today, I replied that it's a legit purchase, and still couldn't complete the transaction with that card. Had to use a credit card then do a bill pay -from my bank- to pay the CC.

I'm not very progressive with electronics and find this type of stuff to be pretty frustrating and wasteful.

Comment

Anyone else ever have their bank stop a transaction to Folio and request confirmation first? Well mine did this today, I replied that it's a legit purchase, and still couldn't complete the transaction with that card. Had to use a credit card then do a bill pay -from my bank- to pay the CC.

I'm not very progressive with electronics and find this type of stuff to be pretty frustrating and wasteful.
                          Not specific to Folio but my credit union will block transactions on occasion when they suspect fraud. They block the transaction, which also locks the card, and call me asking if the transaction is legitimate. Once they clear the transaction I am able to use the card again but not for that exact transaction. I have learned to ask them while on the phone to set an override which will allow to place that order without issue. They have a pretty good system and I am almost able to predict when it will happen. Oversees transactions with a company I rarely purchase from, a series of high value purchases and purchases from merchants with non-sensical names all trigger a fraud alert for me. Generally, though inconvenient, it is an easy fix. One time they failed to call me and I went to use the card at a store and was blocked, that was a pain.

Comment

Ben, as Martin suggests, probably because it was an overseas transaction and a new company in your transaction history. Odd, though, that you still couldn’t use it as per usual after verifying the charge.
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I called my bank, confirmed that it was due to an overseas transaction, and discovered they do not "unlock" those transactions without a phone call first. Once I call they will provide a one time transaction for the specified vendor.

So in other words anytime I want to purchase from Folio I need to call my bank first and let them know that I want to use my money.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I called my bank, confirmed that it was due to an overseas transaction, and discovered they do not "unlock" those transactions without a phone call first. Once I call they will provide a one time transaction for the specified vendor.

So in other words anytime I want to purchase from Folio I need to call my bank first and let them know that I want to use my money.
                                My credit union sets a one time flag to allow that specific transaction but they also identify the merchant as one I do business with to avoid future issues. It is odd that your bank would require you to call every time you purchase from the same merchant.

Comment

Working...
                                X