Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Sorry Brian861. Wasn't my intent to offend at all and didn't really consider it from a disability perspective such as blindness. I'm also sure that there a tons of people who love audiobooks and listen to them exclusively rather than reading a physical copy. I guess that I was just trying to make the point that I feel physically reading a book and listening to an audiobook are two different experiences and that I don't really care for audiobooks in general. I'm sure that I could've worded that opinion better. Thanks for the differing perspective and giving me more to think about when it comes to this topic.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Asked a coworker what books they have recently read and was told about books they listened to in the car. I may have come off as slightly snobbish when I responded that I don't consider listening to audiobooks as reading. To me, they are two different things. I personally never listen to audiobooks. I don't find the same enjoyment level as when physically reading a book and don't want the story spoiled by potentially not liking the narrator. If I am driving or doing some other physical activity that prevents reading, I would much prefer to just listen to music and find time later on to actually sit down and read. Anyone feel the same way or have I pushed into snobsville?
    I certainly do not take offense from your comment but could not disagree more. I normally have about an even split between audio and physical books. For me the experience is similar as I am taking in a story either way. With both I find that distractions can reduce the effectiveness of how I take in the story. I will not read a physical book, nor will I read an audiobook if I am not in a position to take in and comprehend the story. I find I am less able to hold my attention to a story tougher when using an e-reader. For that reason I generally only consume short stories using that method. Do I look down on those who find enjoyment in that medium? No, but it is not for me. Your views on audio books does not lessen the experience for those who choose to read stories in that medium. After I have finished a book the lasting impact the story has on me is based solely based on the source material not the medium. So why is it different other than personal tastes? Your views on how you choose to read are yours and thusly are correct for you. Is telling someone that the way they choose to read is not reading because you do not get enjoyment out of it that they do snobbish? Probably. If someone told me that I would put as much stock in it as I have on the many occasions people have told me I should read a real story instead of that Stephen King crap. Truth is I like Stephen King and they do not. I have no problem with that but they do.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Assuming I were blind; you and I couldn't have a deep discussion regarding a book because you physically read it and I only listened to it. I don't know you from Adam, but as any audiobook listener, that statement deeply offends me.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post

That's actually the most recent version of those. He did them 2 or 3 times before that. There were even some Christmas themed ones. I don't have any photos of those though.
    I would love to seethose!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Asked a coworker what books they have recently read and was told about books they listened to in the car. I may have come off as slightly snobbish when I responded that I don't consider listening to audiobooks as reading. To me, they are two different things. I personally never listen to audiobooks. I don't find the same enjoyment level as when physically reading a book and don't want the story spoiled by potentially not liking the narrator. If I am driving or doing some other physical activity that prevents reading, I would much prefer to just listen to music and find time later on to actually sit down and read. Anyone feel the same way or have I pushed into snobsville?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X