Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    The wind has been bad so have drifts against portions of the house a couple feet deep. True accumulation, based on our back porch and a side door I had to open to get to a plastic shed to grab a shovel, is around six inches. It's still coming down, albeit more of a snow mist than flakes.

Here's the view right now from that same shot I posted yesterday...it doesn't really tell the tale, but it's obviously a lot whiter.

camera.JPG
    The photos I have seen from around here do not reflect the true picture either. The wind has created interesting drifts here as well. My doors remain clear but I do have snow up to the front door, which is odd since it is a fully covered area. The forecast has again changed here. Light snow for the next 12 hours and then a transition to several hours of freezing rain with thawing on Monday.

Comment

Here in Virginia, 28 degrees and still no power since 9am yesterday morning. They're saying days before we get it back. Good news is I have two wood burning stoves, lots of split wood, cold temps to keep food safe, and plenty of wine and bourbon. Life is good this Valentine's Sunday.

Mulleins
      I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

Originally posted by mulleins View Post
        Here in Virginia, 28 degrees and still no power since 9am yesterday morning. They're saying days before we get it back. Good news is I have two wood burning stoves, lots of split wood, cold temps to keep food safe, and plenty of wine and bourbon. Life is good this Valentine's Sunday.

Mulleins
        The metro area her is listing about 225,000 still without power and many are expected to be out for another 24 to 48 hours. Another round of freezing rain is expected south of here. Expected to fall as snow here though. I really lucked out when we built this house. Due to the design of the power grid I am on I rarely lose power and haven't ever lost it for more than 45 minutes. Of course getting snow rather than ice in this round has been a big help! Enjoy the bourbon and take it easy.

Comment

This past week it's been -48 Fahrenheit where I live. I'm just happy the winds calmed down. A couple weeks ago we had 62 mile winds. Half of the city loss power. I love the prairies in Canada during the winter. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyb View Post
            This past week it's been -48 Fahrenheit where I live. I'm just happy the winds calmed down. A couple weeks ago we had 62 mile winds. Half of the city loss power. I love the prairies in Canada during the winter. Ugh.
            I like cold weather but that is just wrong. Ugh is correct!

Comment

We topped out at somewhere between ten and twelve inches of snow, based on measurements taken in various spots on my driveway...blame the wind, and call it eleven inches. It's been raining for a few hours now, so I'm hoping whatever doesn't freeze overnight and make things even worse will melt, and tomorrow will look a lot less white and lumpy.
              Last edited by RonClinton; 02-15-2021, 05:24 PM.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

No snow in the forecast here in North Florida we are however expecting a hard freeze overnight tonight. Municipalities in this region are not set up correctly to handle ice on the roads so I'm suspecting things may be shut down tomorrow morning.

Really concerned about my bees with these low temps. Hope they are healthy and plentiful enough to make it through the night.

We topped out at somewhere between ten and inches inches of snow, based on measurements taken in various spots on my driveway...blame the wind, and call it eleven inches. It's been raining for a few hours now, so I'm hoping whatever doesn't freeze overnight and make things even worse will melt, and tomorrow will look a lot less white and lumpy.
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Good luck with the bees -- we need to keep all that we have.

Comment

We topped out at somewhere between ten and twelve inches of snow, based on measurements taken in various spots on my driveway...blame the wind, and call it eleven inches. It's been raining for a few hours now, so I'm hoping whatever doesn't freeze overnight and make things even worse will melt, and tomorrow will look a lot less white and lumpy.
                    We peaked at a little over 12 inches with a light coating of ice on top. Got off pretty easy considering that 5 miles south of me has over a 1/2 inch of ice. While working this morning I saw my neighbor go out to shovel out her truck. Gave up when she realized the back of the truck is a large snow drift. We are at 30 degrees and are expected to rise above freezing soon and stay there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                      No snow in the forecast here in North Florida we are however expecting a hard freeze overnight tonight. Municipalities in this region are not set up correctly to handle ice on the roads so I'm suspecting things may be shut down tomorrow morning.

Really concerned about my bees with these low temps. Hope they are healthy and plentiful enough to make it through the night.

South west Washington is much better prepared for inclement weather than Oregon is. Portland basically shuts down with 2 inches of snow. I share your concern with the bees, they are needed and have many thing going against them as it is and do not need a hard freeze on top of everything!

Comment

Today it's a sweltering 19 degrees out - never thought I'd say 19 was warm, but compared to yesterday's -8, 19 is pretty toasty.

I live in an apartment, and at about 9:30 last night, the fire alarm went off. So many swears were uttered. By the time I changed clothes, found heavy wool coat, shoes, socks, warm gloves, COVID mask, and beanie, the alarm went off. And it name came back on again like it usually does. The thought of being outside when it was -8 did not sound appealing. At all.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                          Today it's a sweltering 19 degrees out - never thought I'd say 19 was warm, but compared to yesterday's -8, 19 is pretty toasty.

I live in an apartment, and at about 9:30 last night, the fire alarm went off. So many swears were uttered. By the time I changed clothes, found heavy wool coat, shoes, socks, warm gloves, COVID mask, and beanie, the alarm went off. And it name came back on again like it usually does. The thought of being outside when it was -8 did not sound appealing. At all.
                          Well we finally rose above freezing yesterday afternoon and have stayed there. Melting is happening but I still have several inches of snow. Just saw a car creep along the street in front of my house. My street does not go anywhere and exits onto a street that is an access point to the regional hospital. This results in the city plowing the road that leads to our road and walling us in. Usually as this start to melt someone with a truck rams the wall and we are able to get out. Informed delivery shows I will have mail today. This will be my first mail delivery since last Thursday. Haven't really missed that. Tomorrow is also garbage day so I will need to shovel a path from my garage to the sidewalk to set the garbage out, assuming they resume collection by tomorrow. Most of my team at work live in Oregon. They all have some level of power issues and my office has been out for several days. So glad we got snow instead of Ice up here!

Comment

Can someone explain to me my aversion to buying and selling books for profit? Just had a chance to snag a copy of CD's Nightshift (the one @$275) for list price and I could have easily turned a profit on it. However I passed on this as I felt stress about the selling process.

Wish I could be normal sometimes.

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Can someone explain to me my aversion to buying and selling books for profit? Just had a chance to snag a copy of CD's Nightshift (the one @$275) for list price and I could have easily turned a profit on it. However I passed on this as I felt stress about the selling process.

It gives people something to complain about. If you choose to do it there is nothing wrong with that. If you choose not to that is ok as well. I am personally too lazy to do it. The fact that people complain would not be an issue should I decide I wanted to do that.

Comment

I'm the same way...there have been many opportunities where I could have snagged a book that I knew would result in a healthy profit but decided instead of pass -- the recent Exorcist from Suntup, for example. For me, it turns my hobby into something I don't want it to be...rather than something that gives me pleasure and satisfaction and a distraction from the hassles and stress of everyday life, it becomes a drive to accrue money, and there's enough of that already. I certainly sell some of my books that I no longer want, or have upgraded, or no longer interest me, or etc. (in fact, I've been much more aggressive with that on eBay the last four or five months), but their origin in my collection was never with an eye for resale. I don't begrudge those who those who do, but it's never been a driver for me as it undermines the entire reason I do this hobby in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X