Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Replacing a ceiling fan today in my house and forgot they are a pain to do for someone with arthritic hands. Bolts dropping out of my hands, screwdriver dropped, one screw dropping into motor cowling. You get the idea. As of right now typing is even a challenge.

One hour into the process and only managed to get the old one down, installed new support bracket*, and fed through and trimmed wiring on the new fan.

Last time I hired someone to do this and it took them a total of 15 minutes or less!

*Old bracket had a screw with a stripped head which needed to come out. That was rough work.
    I feel you. My hands are fine but I have rotator cuff issues in both shoulders and lifting something over my head is very painful. I have a light fixture that is 12 feet up and I want to replace it with a ceiling can and lights. I have avoided it because I know how much pain it will cause. Good luck on finishing, I do not envy you.

Comment

Replacing a ceiling fan today in my house and forgot they are a pain to do for someone with arthritic hands. Bolts dropping out of my hands, screwdriver dropped, one screw dropping into motor cowling. You get the idea. As of right now typing is even a challenge.

One hour into the process and only managed to get the old one down, installed new support bracket*, and fed through and trimmed wiring on the new fan.

Last time I hired someone to do this and it took them a total of 15 minutes or less!

*Old bracket had a screw with a stripped head which needed to come out. That was rough work.
      I hardly do anything myself anymore. Pay for most of it or get a friend over to help.

Comment

A Lawyer going before a Judge in a Zoom hearing with no idea how to turn off his cat filter sums up the last year well.

Comment

LOL. I have never heard of a cat filter before. Too funny.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

If anyone was interested the ceiling fan is installed, I didn't shock myself, and nothing seems to be burning yet. So in my book this was a top shelf install. LOL

Comment

Not cutting your head off is really the measure of success LOL!!!

Comment

Didn't do that either. The fan does wobble fairly bad on the high setting so I will need to figure out how to correct that. I know they make shims however that is the extent of my knowledge on them! LOL

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                Not cutting your head off is really the measure of success LOL!!!

Comment

Question for the experts here:

What are your thoughts on selling to Half Price Books? I'm really tired of listing books on eBay and Facebook and getting zero interest in the titles I just don't want anymore. I'm tempted to just empty my shelves by selling them to a used book store and avoid all the packing and shipping as well. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

What are your thoughts on selling to Half Price Books? I'm really tired of listing books on eBay and Facebook and getting zero interest in the titles I just don't want anymore. I'm tempted to just empty my shelves by selling them to a used book store and avoid all the packing and shipping as well. What are your thoughts?
                    I think it just depends what you want to get out of them. If you're looking to get maximum value, then eBay is the way to go. If you're just looking to get rid of them, then why not. Most titles aren't going to have some crazy aftermarket value that's worth the time and effort for putting them on eBay.
                    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I often trade books rather than sell outright because I get better value and often I find things worth trading for. I think I've mentioned this in the past, I also give books away to family members and friends. I've never had any real luck selling....I wish we all lived close enough that we could get together and trade/buy/sell with each other, that would be great!!
                      Last edited by mhatchett; 02-10-2021, 08:31 PM.

Comment

LOL. I have never heard of a cat filter before. Too funny.
                        My either. The only time I video conference is at work and I expect that my employer has any such feature disabled. I may look for it though.

Comment

If anyone was interested the ceiling fan is installed, I didn't shock myself, and nothing seems to be burning yet. So in my book this was a top shelf install. LOL
                          Congratulations! Something out of balance is probably causing the high speed wobble. I would study it and figure out what it may be and try uninstalling and re-installing. Or don't turn it up high.

Comment

I agree with the prior comments. When I end up with duplicates or a book I really do not want I trade them in at Powell's. I always trade them for store credit. At Powell's you get about a 30% increase in value by doing that. Powell's gives 50% of the low end that they think they can sell the item for plus the trade bump. The credit is probably lower than I could get selling the books on eBay but it is also basically effortless, and I an generally lazy.

Comment

When it comes to selling books, there are used bookstores and there is Half Price Books. I love going to HPB for browsing and buying, but for selling, they are just half-a-step above giving them away to a thrift store / Goodwill.

With true mom-and-pop and corner used bookstores (of which there are few left), they will pick and choose and give you perhaps 25% of what they plan to sell it for in either cash or trade credit...they have intrinsic value, both as an object and as something they resell. If you have one of these in your area, I would recommend giving them a shot before HPB.

With HPB, the books are a commodity in the most literal sense and are treated with no subjectivity of worth...plan to go in with several grocery bags and leave with perhaps five bucks a bag, twice that if the stars and sun are aligned and the buyer woke up in a good mood that morning. I"m not exaggerating. They'll take it all (for disposal and recycling of those titles they don't plan to stock), but in the end you're the one who feels like you were taken.

The only time I sell at HPB anymore is when I have a stack of books that even I can look at and say, Yep, those are valueless to me and just everyone else.

Might want to try listing them here and TDT.org...I don't believe I've ever seen any books for sale from you at either spot. You might get a better reaction than Facebook, and it's cheaper than eBay.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

When it comes to selling books, there are used bookstores and there is Half Price Books. I love going to HPB for browsing and buying, but for selling, they are just half-a-step above giving them away to a thrift store / Goodwill.

With HPB, the books are a commodity in the most literal sense and are treated with no subjectivity of worth...plan to go in with several grocery bags and leave with perhaps five bucks a bag, twice that if the stars and sun are aligned and the buyer woke up in a good mood that morning. I"m not exaggerating. They'll take it all (for disposal and recycling of those titles they don't plan to stock), but in the end you're the one who feels like you were taken.
                                I have the exact same feelings about Half Price Books. Had a bad selling experience with them some years back and decided never again. Between direct purchases and various grab bags, I somehow had three copies of the gift edition of "Riding the Bullet" that was published by lonely road books. I decided that I would take one of the copies to half price books to sell hoping that I would get fair value for it. I think they ended up offering me seven dollars for it. Due to having multiple copies, not enough shelf space at the time, and my own stupidity, I reluctantly sold them the book (and instantly felt bad about it). I came into the store a week later and they had the book in their collectibles display case and had priced it at seventy-five dollars (I believe it sold almost as soon as it was put out on display). I instantly felt like I had been bamboozled by them and told myself never again. Due to this bad experience, I rarely go to HPB anymore, and when I do, much like Ron, it is only to browse or buy.

Comment

Working...
                                X