No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very excited to have installed an automatic chicken coop door. So much more convenient. No more timing the evening around making sure the chickens are safe.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Not familiar with the West Coast but that seems awful odd weather indeed. I would have assumed snow in November for you folks.

Rarely get it in November, get a little in December but January is our normal time for snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
        Very excited to have installed an automatic chicken coop door. So much more convenient. No more timing the evening around making sure the chickens are safe.
        I had a niece who had chickens for a while. She finally had to only have them out of the coop when she was in the backyard. If she let them wander unsupervised the became food for other birds.

Comment

I had a day with two hawks hunting my chickens. As hawks are protected I was unsure what to do. I settled on the water-hose which is non-lethal or harming and seemed to dissuade the hawks after a few direct hits.

They did not manage to grab a hen or the rooster. I am assuming the chickens were to heavy to be snatched up as the hawks were about the same size. At one point, one of the hawks, did manage to pin the rooster to the ground. Luckily I had the hose ready to go and the hawk flew away without harming him.

They have not returned.

We did lose one hen to a racoon. It was really my fault. I forgot to close their door one night. I felt awful about that.

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I had a niece who had chickens for a while. She finally had to only have them out of the coop when she was in the backyard. If she let them wander unsupervised the became food for other birds.

Comment

I resisted. Hooray! A book came up for sale, which I had wanted, and I didn't buy it. Feeling a little weird about this moment of self control. LOL

*I have spent roughly 1/3 of my yearly book buying budget this month. Trying to maintain a semblance of a budget although I know I will probably not even be close to it before this year is over.
            Last edited by Ben Staad; 01-28-2021, 02:59 AM.

Comment

If you are in the path of the storm, take care and enjoy!

Comment

If you are in the path of the storm, take care and enjoy!
                There is a new storm heading my way, should not be too bad. I'm planning on heading out early tommorow morning so I'll be back before the storm hits. I almost forgot - - I go back to work on Friday of this week. I'm excited, I've been bored lately.

Cap
                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                  There is a new storm heading my way, should not be too bad. I'm planning on heading out early tommorow morning so I'll be back before the storm hits. I almost forgot - - I go back to work on Friday of this week. I'm excited, I've been bored lately.

Cap
                  California took a real beating last week. Congratulations on getting back to work!

Comment

California took a real beating last week. Congratulations on getting back to work!
                    All the snow we got was much needed. I did shovel a lot snow too. ~Cap
                    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

We got a lot of snow last night, and it's heavy stuff. I shoveled everything this morning so my wife could get to work, and I'll have at least one more round of shoveling before we're done. It looks nice, though!

Pano_small.JPG

Comment

That is a pretty photo but looks chilly. Drive safe and stay warm.

Comment

Now that I know that Jeffingoff's Magic Duff bucket is from The Simpsons rather than a Chicago brewery when I see Simpsons things I think of Mr. Terry. For those who do not know Matt Groening is from Portland Oregon. He has donated a price of Simpsons Quarantine art to Lincoln High School, which he attended.

Bidding starts at $3,700 and ends February 12th.
                          Flock Party 2021 (schoolauction.net)
                          DOH.jpg

Comment

I know the post was for Homer, but there are some great items up for auction!!

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                              I know the post was for Homer, but there are some great items up for auction!!

There really is some good stuff available. In these charity auctions the items often go for above what you could buy the item directly for and that is the case for some of these items currently. There remains some good buys at this point.

Comment

Replacing a ceiling fan today in my house and forgot they are a pain to do for someone with arthritic hands. Bolts dropping out of my hands, screwdriver dropped, one screw dropping into motor cowling. You get the idea. As of right now typing is even a challenge.

One hour into the process and only managed to get the old one down, installed new support bracket*, and fed through and trimmed wiring on the new fan.

Last time I hired someone to do this and it took them a total of 15 minutes or less!

*Old bracket had a screw with a stripped head which needed to come out. That was rough work.

Comment

Working...
                                X