Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jargendeli
    replied
    Quick note though with good reason. So this morning I woke up at 2:30 due to pain in
    my middle abdomen. Not that bad but enough to wake me up. A quick pee seemed to slightly help and went back to bed. Soon more pain and as the early morning progressed it became worse in that I was soon moaning in acute pain. I ended up waking my wife Cindy up and she wanted to take me to our local hospital. I did not want to go due to COVID patient fears. However as time still went on I became much worse enough to beg her to take me to the hospital. She asked me which one. We prefer one further away (about 25 minutes plus) but the closer one being about ten minutes away she sped to that one. By this time I was moaning and crying out in pain. Cindy had to do all the check in procedure for me. Only one person in the waiting room. Once checked in (they would not let Cindy in the hospital proper) they wheelchaired me into a prep type room. There I lay moaning till they drew some blood, temp check, blood pressure check. Finally gave me some pain and nausea medicine. Ended up having to have more of both. When asked on a 1-10 pain scale I told them 9. Ended up having a CT scan and the results were a kidney stone. A small one but enough to wipe me out with the pain. Never had one and I can say never want one. More pain meds and released with some prescriptions Cindy had to pick up. Medicine supposed to make me sleepy and so already called in for Sunday work.

Nice start to my weekend. Could have been much worse if this had happened next week with Cindy out of town.

Glad I am home now.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Yes. The glass bottles for whatever reason make a huge difference.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Agreed about Mexican sodas and they come in glass bottles which always taste better.

You guys are killing me. I'm really carving one of those big, huge stickers that take a week to eat.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I agree that candy bars from Europe are much better than the ones here in the States. I'm convinced it's using sugar and not corn syrup plus maybe eliminating some forms of preservatives which makes the difference.

In regards to the corn syrup vs. sugar deal, if I buy soda, I prefer the imported stuff that uses sugar as the sweetener over the stuff that uses corn syrup.

Mexican packaged Coke is much better in my opinion.

Agreed about Mexican sodas and they come in glass bottles which always taste better.

You guys are killing me. I'm really carving one of those big, huge stickers that take a week to eat.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I agree that candy bars from Europe are much better than the ones here in the States. I'm convinced it's using sugar and not corn syrup plus maybe eliminating some forms of preservatives which makes the difference.

In regards to the corn syrup vs. sugar deal, if I buy soda, I prefer the imported stuff that uses sugar as the sweetener over the stuff that uses corn syrup.

Completely agree with you and will even go a step further. Products made with Cane Sugar tastes better than the same thing made with Beet Sugar.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Come on over, you can have the whole bag!
    Sweet!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

These are all from Ireland and the UK. It used to be hard to find them here in the US, but I'm lucky enough to have a store nearby that imports a lot of candy, food, and other items from the UK.

You can also find all this stuff online now, and at this time of the year, shipping isn't a problem - http://www.foodireland.com/c/candybars.html

Cadbury in the US is actually Hershey, who licensed the name from Cadbury UK back when that company was in financial difficulties. US Cadbury chocolate tastes nothing like the 'real' thing

The whole story can be found in Chocolate Wars, by Deborah Cadbury - https://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-War...s%2C155&sr=8-1

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

These are all from Ireland and the UK. It used to be hard to find them here in the US, but I'm lucky enough to have a store nearby that imports a lot of candy, food, and other items from the UK.

You can also find all this stuff online now, and at this time of the year, shipping isn't a problem - http://www.foodireland.com/c/candybars.html

Cadbury in the US is actually Hershey, who licensed the name from Cadbury UK back when that company was in financial difficulties. US Cadbury chocolate tastes nothing like the 'real' thing

The whole story can be found in Chocolate Wars, by Deborah Cadbury - https://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-War...s%2C155&sr=8-1
    Thanks for the explanation. I actually thought Hershey had purchased in total. The items pictured makes more sense. There is a popcorn store near me that I believe has unique candies as well. I may check to see if they have any of these just so I can say I tried them. The EU has a of requirements regarding using actual food products in food. That leads to the same items tasting better in Europe than in the US. Not sure that Cadbury difference with Hershey is part of that but it would not surprise me.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied

I too have never heard of these items. If you showed me that picture and asked what country they came from I would never have guessed U.|S.A.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Based on plans made early this year, my wife and I planned to hit the Walla Walla area this summer or Fall, and...well, that didn’t work out, to say the least. Maybe next year.
    I do recommend going but not in the summer. There are also some nice places to eat in the downtown area and the Whitman College campus is a beautiful place to walk around. I know I found one of my King 1st editions in a little used bookstore downtown but can't remember which book it was.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Based on plans made early this year, my wife and I planned to hit the Walla Walla area this summer or Fall, and...well, that didn’t work out, to say the least. Maybe next year.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

I'll be right over.
    Come on over, you can have the whole bag!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

My wife and I hit Maryhill for the first time a few summers ago while vacationing in the Hood River / Columbia Gorge area...very cool winery, with the amphitheater, fields, etc. They've opened up a satellite winery (tasting room and sales center) in Woodinville, but it's not the same...frankly, their wine is not that good, so without the Goldendale scenery it's not really worth the visit.
    Their reserve wines are good. The rest are just ok and often not worth the price. They have a tasting room in Vancouver that I have never been to. I will check it out at some point when I am again doing things like that. Walla Walla is producing the best wines in the NW at thins point. Zerba Cellars and Dunham Estates are the cream of the crop but most in the Walla Walla area have some good wines. Just do not visit there in the summer. Last time we went it averaged 107 degrees during the day. Kind of zaps your willingness to consume wine.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

Moonstruck does better than others I have tried with spirits infused. Most go overboard with the liquor. With Moonstruck you can taste the booze but it is not overwhelming. They cost even more though, if I remember correctly they run about $3 a piece.
    For a while Maryhill winery sold a dark chocolate ball filled with their Old Vine Zinfandel wine. That was the best alcohol/chocolate I have ever had!
    My wife and I hit Maryhill for the first time a few summers ago while vacationing in the Hood River / Columbia Gorge area...very cool winery, with the amphitheater, fields, etc. They've opened up a satellite winery (tasting room and sales center) in Woodinville, but it's not the same...frankly, their wine is not that good, so without the Goldendale scenery it's not really worth the visit.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    I've had Moonstruck chocolates before, and they are fantastic. And, good lord, that Oregon Distillers Collection of truffles looks beyond delicious. I don't typically like booze-infused chocolates, but I would make an immediate exception for that box!

With Macy's stores going out of business right and left, not sure if I'm going to get my usual box or two of Frangos this year.
    Moonstruck does better than others I have tried with spirits infused. Most go overboard with the liquor. With Moonstruck you can taste the booze but it is not overwhelming. They cost even more though, if I remember correctly they run about $3 a piece.
    For a while Maryhill winery sold a dark chocolate ball filled with their Old Vine Zinfandel wine. That was the best alcohol/chocolate I have ever had!

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied

I purchased a bag of candy in case any kids came by on Halloween. Had zero kids so the bag sits on the love seat near the front door unopened.
    I'll be right over.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X