Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I know. And I really don't know what to believe. Are we being too cautious? Not cautious enough?
    Certainly there is a lot of debate about that very topic. A lot of people here in southern Illinois think we're being too cautious. I'm not sure I agree with that, but here in the county where I reside there have been only ten confirmed cases, and four of those have since recovered. The other six are in quarantine. Some people are wondering why things couldn't be opened back up on a county-by-county basis instead of closing down the entire state due to high numbers of cases in urban areas. Again, I'm not saying I agree with that, just that people are posing these questions.

It's easy for me to lean towards being more cautious since I have worked from home for the past five years and this has not affected my work or income. I know that many people are not so fortunate, however, and this prolonged shut-down is putting a great financial strain on them. Also, my parents are both 80 and I really worry about them getting it. It really is a Catch 22 and there is no easy answer.

Comment

A local marketing company did a video showing Portland currently.

They show the downtown Powell's and Voodoo donut locations.

Comment

I do not understand why counties and/or states with comparatively low numbers of incidence and low hospital occupancy are not opening up. The reason we were all given to shelter in place was to lessen the curve so that limited hospital facilities would not be overwhelmed. That's it, that was the reason sold to the public. I don't understand why regions with hospital facilities that are not burdened with a large Covid incidence are still shutdown. The shutdown wasn't to wait until there's treatment or a vaccine, the former likely at least months away and the latter a year or more away...it was simply to ensure that incidence was minimized so that hospitals would be able to effectively address the number of sick to avoid mass casualties.

Those who apparently want to wait until it's safe, to extend the order and/or criticize those who think it's time to lift the orders (with wise social distancing moving forward) are missing the point...there is no "safe" any longer, this will continue to be a threat until an effective vaccine is found -- which may or may not ever happen -- or herd immunity is established, which again may not happen and certainly not without continued (and tragic) loss of life. Fortunately, research testing as recent as today show that millions upon millions have had it with no symptoms: https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-...-early-results , so illness and fatality is statistically far less than predicted.

This is life now, this is a new reality for all of us...it's going to be a perpetual gamble as to whether or not you'll get it and how your body reacts, and the hygiene and social distancing choices that we all will need to make moving forward may help stack the odds in our favor, but short of a vaccine or the virus miraculously disappearing we'll never get back to the way it was before. The virus isn't going anywhere, so the only way to try and, in the big picture, ameliorate any further damage to our society and its members is to get the economy going again.

So: if a region's hospital facilities are now at normal capacity (or less, given that many people have had to forego important but elective surgery (which creates a financial strain on the very medical institution we're trying to help)) I don't get why that region is not being allowed to reopen, nor why many scoff at the very idea and see it as lunacy akin to suicide. What they're waiting to have happen, what they're counting on to change, I've no clue.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
          I do not understand why counties and/or states with comparatively low numbers of incidence and low hospital occupancy are not opening up. The reason we were all given to shelter in place was to lessen the curve so that limited hospital facilities would not be overwhelmed. That's it, that was the reason sold to the public. I don't understand why regions with hospital facilities that are not burdened with a large Covid incidence are still shutdown. The shutdown wasn't to wait until there's treatment or a vaccine, the former likely at least months away and the latter a year or more away...it was simply to ensure that incidence was minimized so that hospitals would be able to effectively address the number of sick to avoid mass casualties.

Those who apparently want to wait until it's safe, to extend the order and/or criticize those who think it's time to lift the orders (with wise social distancing moving forward) are missing the point...there is no "safe" any longer, this will continue to be a threat until an effective vaccine is found -- which may or may not ever happen -- or herd immunity is established, which again may not happen and certainly not without continued (and tragic) loss of life. Fortunately, research testing as recent as today show that millions upon millions have had it with no symptoms: https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-...-early-results , so illness and fatality is statistically far less than predicted.

This is life now, this is a new reality for all of us...it's going to be a perpetual gamble as to whether or not you'll get it and how your body reacts, and the hygiene and social distancing choices that we all will need to make moving forward may help stack the odds in our favor, but short of a vaccine or the virus miraculously disappearing we'll never get back to the way it was before. The virus isn't going anywhere, so the only way to try and, in the big picture, ameliorate any further damage to our society and its members is to get the economy going again.

So: if a region's hospital facilities are now at normal capacity (or less, given that many people have had to forego important but elective surgery (which creates a financial strain on the very medical institution we're trying to help)) I don't get why that region is not being allowed to reopen, nor why many scoff at the very idea and see it as lunacy akin to suicide. What they're waiting to have happen, what they're counting on to change, I've no clue.
          Ron - Here in Mariposa County we are fairly isolated. There is still not one confirmed case of Covid 19 in Mariposa County. I know that will change when the park reopens. I currently work as a front desk clerk and I'm anticipating going back to find plexiglass shields on the front desk counter. They have those shields in place at the main store here and I've also seen them when I've left the park for a Rx or other food/supplies. I don't know if masks will work at the front desk-We do a lot of talking.

Cap
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Well, it's a moving target for sure. Here in the Richmond VA area we aren't supposed to peak until the middle of May. We see more cases and deaths everyday. It highlights something I read years ago. We have been living in a medical bubble, a historical anomaly, a time when science had mastered almost all of the contagious diseases that have threatened mankind. Some of us still remember how our mother's worried about Polio every Summer. Hopefully we can make some societal changes, while we wait for science to catch up. But having said that, some people are just being stupid and doing and saying irresponsible things. Opening beaches, don't forget these are the AHs that wouldn't cancel Spring Break, elected officials promoting nonexistent cures and treatments,even up to the highest levels. Responses across the country have been uneven and disjointed for a number of reasons, but certainly lack of leadership and competence at the Federal level has been a contributing factor. By the way, I don't want to hear a bunch of BS about states rights. That argument was settled at Appomattox Courthouse a long time ago. I hope you are all safe and I hope we can come out of this sooner rather than later.
            Last edited by mhatchett; 04-24-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Your thoughts couldn't align with mine any more perfectly. I'm just hoping that those who are supposed to know better actually know better.

Comment

As someone who lives in New York I can tell you I prefer the cautious approach. Even here in upstate New York. As someone who lives with a nurse who has to work and myself being an essential worker I can tell you that people still don't follow social distancing and act out when security has to try and in force it. Some areas that aren't bad are going to get bad. This whole situation has turned everyone upside down. Yet some people still feel like it's not a big deal. Just my opinion from inside the not zone

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                  Yet some people still feel like it's not a big deal. Just my opinion from inside the not zone
                  I definitely don't think it's not a big deal. Hahahaha double negative confuses me! I just think this is not a one size fits all approach. But no matter. Stay healthy! I feel for everyone in the epicenter and I hope things level out.

Just got the message from the firm that we are all getting pay reductions. As part of a phased approach. After that it's going to be deeper. 1 in 6 Americans are now unemployed. Your life. Your livelihood. Those are the twins standing in the hallway. And the blood is rushing.

Comment

I certainly agree the cautious approach is the appropriate way to go...as a sobering reminder of that, I just saw this morning that the US passed the 50,000 mark for Covid-related fatalities.

My basic point was simply to remind us all why the lockdowns occurred in the first place, as I think that reasoning has gotten lost is the discussion of reopening the country. The nation's reopening *has* to happen sooner rather than later, and a particular region's hospital capacity should be a leading indicator that goes hand-in-hand with incidence. Those regions (counties? states?) that see high hospital capacity and low incidence should no longer be in lockdown, as they have met the achieved the goals of the reasoning that was sold to the American public...it was tough but necessary treatment, but now it's time to try and heal the (economic) damage caused by that treatment. A delay of that healing unnecessarily creates further damage on a micro and macro level. Even if everyone had the massive financial reserves to do so, we can't shelter in our homes for the next year-and-a-half, waiting for a vaccine that may or may not happen, as there will be nothing to come back to. The mindset that some have that reopening society (in a cautious but methodical and expeditious way) isn't even in the cards until it's "safe" is delusional in that it completely misses the reality of the situation...there is no "safe" for the foreseeable future, there may never be a "safe," and we have to live responsibly and prosper within the circumstances we're now in.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I definitely don't think it's not a big deal. Hahahaha double negative confuses me! I just think this is not a one size fits all approach. But no matter. Stay healthy! I feel for everyone in the epicenter and I hope things level out.

Just got the message from the firm that we are all getting pay reductions. As part of a phased approach. After that it's going to be deeper. 1 in 6 Americans are now unemployed. Your life. Your livelihood. Those are the twins standing in the hallway. And the blood is rushing.
                      Sorry to hear that. It's weird . For the first time in my life I feel guilty for having a job to go to every day. I know others who also feel this way. I've said it before and I'll say it again.....what strange times we live in now.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                        Sorry to hear that. It's weird . For the first time in my life I feel guilty for having a job to go to every day.
                        Yep, that's survivor guilt. I've had that several times as I've dodged rounds and rounds of layoffs in the past. I've seen many good talented people walk out with their possessions in a box while I remained at my desk. Be glad, don't feel guilty. I'm glad for those who are untouched.

Comment

Layoffs suck. I do feel lucky that this time I'm in a company that's not being greatly affected by what's going on.

I got laid off in 2001 after 9/11, and again in 2009 when the economy crashed. We got through it, but it's always a major hit to your finances.

Comment

Yep, that's survivor guilt.
                            I've been feeling that BIG TIME lately.

I work for a credit union, so I've been deemed essential, and we've had record breaking months in March and April, and May is already shaping up for another, in the mortgage area where I work.

My wife on the other hand isn't working, and I keep telling her just how fortunate we are that we don't have to worry too much about all of the things her co-workers do. Benefits, rent, food.

And then I see everything that you all are going through, and it's tough. While the world has changed, not much has for me it seems. I still go into work every day (I can work remote, but that doesn't work for me very well,) I go to the grocery story, I'm living the regular life. But it's far from regular or normal. And I realize that.

I may not know any of you very well, but you are all still my friends, and believe me, I feel your pain and stress, and I do wish things get better for everyone sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                              I've been feeling that BIG TIME lately.

I work for a credit union, so I've been deemed essential, and we've had record breaking months in March and April, and May is already shaping up for another, in the mortgage area where I work.

My wife on the other hand isn't working, and I keep telling her just how fortunate we are that we don't have to worry too much about all of the things her co-workers do. Benefits, rent, food.

And then I see everything that you all are going through, and it's tough. While the world has changed, not much has for me it seems. I still go into work every day (I can work remote, but that doesn't work for me very well,) I go to the grocery story, I'm living the regular life. But it's far from regular or normal. And I realize that.

I may not know any of you very well, but you are all still my friends, and believe me, I feel your pain and stress, and I do wish things get better for everyone sooner rather than later.
                              Thanks, Jason! Appreciate what you wrote. All the best to you and Katie as well.

Comment

I wanted more of this one!
                                https://crimereads.com/cosmic-horror...ve-could-make/

Comment

Working...
                                X