Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
    The 50 inscribed books are just ones that have my name on them. 3 of them have my last name as well. I also have inscribed bookmarks and other swag. One of them by author WH Pugmire came with a full 4 page letter from him. If I could figure out how, I probably would have framed it. Have a few more just generally inscribed with no name.
    That's really cool! I quite like the shorts that I have read of his.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      It wouldn’t be my first rec to someone new/newish to Lansdale, no...too much other good stuff one should read first.
      Here is my Top Ten Lansdale (in loose order of preference);

THE MAGIC WAGON
      BY BIZARRE HANDS
      THE BOTTOMS
      FREEZER BURN
      THE DRIVE-IN 1 (first volume)
      ALL THE EARTH, THROWN TO THE SKY
      FENDER LIZARDS
      THE NIGHTRUNNERS
      COLD IN JULY
      ...and perhaps THE BIG BLOW.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Here is my Top Ten Lansdale (in loose order of preference);

THE MAGIC WAGON
        BY BIZARRE HANDS
        THE BOTTOMS
        FREEZER BURN
        THE DRIVE-IN 1 (first volume)
        ALL THE EARTH, THROWN TO THE SKY
        FENDER LIZARDS
        THE NIGHTRUNNERS
        COLD IN JULY
        ...and perhaps THE BIG BLOW.
        Have you read THE THICKET? I thought that book was fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          I loved that one!

Comment

I thought the first half was fantastic; the second half was fairly good. All in all, not one of my favorites.

Comment

I thought the first half was fantastic; the second half was fairly good. All in all, not one of my favorites.
              Interesting. Of Lansdale's I think I might read Paradise Sky or Cold in July next. Though Hell Hound is next up in the TBR pile.

Comment

Oh, I love HELL HOUND by Greenhall...Maybe this will finally be the one we’ll agree on! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
                  The 50 inscribed books are just ones that have my name on them. 3 of them have my last name as well. I also have inscribed bookmarks and other swag. One of them by author WH Pugmire came with a full 4 page letter from him. If I could figure out how, I probably would have framed it. Have a few more just generally inscribed with no name.
                  Agree with Dan. The letter is pretty cool.

Comment

Oh, I love HELL HOUND by Greenhall...Maybe this will finally be the one we’ll agree on! ;-)
                    I've heard only great things. I got the Valancourt edition through the Nocturnal Reader's Box and I've been moving it up the TBR pile with every cheering endorsement. But then I saw that Centipede Press is going to do an edition and I wanted to see if I thought it was worth getting it again from CP. Since I have Jerad's The Dogs and Hell Hound would be the next in that vintage horror series.

And this raises an interesting question. Is Jerad involved with Valancourt? I noticed that Valancourt is doing a lot of the books that Centipede later releases as limiteds. Notably the Blackburn novels as well as Hell Hound. Maybe it's just random overlap.

Comment

Hell Hound is a very fun and creative story. I really enjoyed it! An author I will seek out more from who was introduced to me through The Nocturnal Reader's Box.

Comment

And this raises an interesting question. Is Jerad involved with Valancourt? I noticed that Valancourt is doing a lot of the books that Centipede later releases as limiteds. Notably the Blackburn novels as well as Hell Hound. Maybe it's just random overlap.
                        I can't say for sure, but my impression is that there is no direct involvement...at least, I haven't seen any suggestion that there's any collaboration or merging of company's resources/efforts/etc. I suspect it's more random and coincidental than planned. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they were at least in some sort of basic communication so that their presses could -- when appropriate, like in the instances you mention -- be complementary or helpful to one another with title selection, estate contacts, text scans, etc...but of course I've no idea.

EDIT: By the way, glad to see others enjoy the Vintage Horrors series from Centipede. I have the 1st ed. HC of Greenhall's BAXTER (aka HELL HOUND) that was released under his Jessica Hamilton pseudonym, but also plan to get the Centipede edition...got to keep that Vintage series intact and going!
                        Last edited by RonClinton; 04-18-2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

In other Lansdale news, I just bought The Long Ones on eBay. :/

Comment

In other Lansdale news, I just bought The Long Ones on eBay. :/
                            Congrats — that’s a good one! Lansdale really shines in the short and novella form.

Comment

Congrats — that’s a good one! Lansdale really shines in the short and novella form.
                              I've wanted to get Bubba Ho Tep since I have Bubba and the Cosmic Bloodsuckers and it looked like this edition is kinda rare.

Comment

Interesting. Of Lansdale's I think I might read Paradise Sky or Cold in July next. Though Hell Hound is next up in the TBR pile.
                                I loved The Thicket and I loved Hell Hound . I was also introduced to it through Nocternal Readers.
                                My Favorite Joe R. Lansdale books so far are
                                Cold in July
                                The Drive In
                                Savage Season
                                Edge of Dark Water
                                Bleeding Shadows a short story collection
                                Black Hat Jack
                                High Cotton another short story collection
                                I have quite a few more Lansdale books in my tbr pile including Act of Love and The Bottoms. I have read the short version of The Bottoms in 999 called Mad Dog Summer and thought it was an amazing piece of work.

Comment

Working...
                                X