Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I believe you get the book, t-shirt (or tote) and a pin. The art for the T shirt and pin comes from the same artist who did the dust jacket. As of now, I don't know who the artists is.
    To be clear, you get the tote if you don't want a shirt. So that's your choice.

Comment

It's getting BRUTAL for them over on tdt.org. I don't think they deserve all the heat they're getting. The Mailchimp problem was out of their hands. Look what happened for Chrome users during Suntup's release--and there we were chasing a signature making that sting SO MUCH WORSE!) And they did caveat every step of the way that a signature was not confirmed for any quantity. They were hoping for 200, but couldn't get a commitment. So it was a gamble and they lost. But they didn't take orders for a signed edition that never appeared. It was stated before the order window opened. At that point, those looking for a signature were off the hook and could just walk away. The only ones negatively impacted were NRB. I do think that NRB could have responded to the negativity a little better. So that's on them. But the reaction to not getting a signature seems hugely outsized.

Comment

It's getting BRUTAL for them over on tdt.org. I don't think they deserve all the heat they're getting. The Mailchimp problem was out of their hands. Look what happened for Chrome users during Suntup's release--and there we were chasing a signature making that sting SO MUCH WORSE!) And they did caveat every step of the way that a signature was not confirmed for any quantity. They were hoping for 200, but couldn't get a commitment. So it was a gamble and they lost. But they didn't take orders for a signed edition that never appeared. It was stated before the order window opened. At that point, those looking for a signature were off the hook and could just walk away. The only ones negatively impacted were NRB. I do think that NRB could have responded to the negativity a little better. So that's on them. But the reaction to not getting a signature seems hugely outsized.
        Complaints on that board are often 'hugely outsized', but it has gotten better than it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
          Thanks for sharing the link, Martin. I'll probably pick it up next week if there are any left. Do you get just the book and T or the whole nine yards as far as the box?

It is cool that it was opened up to non-subscribers.
          Hope you are able to secure one.

Here is the contents from the NRB website:
          This box will include a 1st NRB Special Edition of Salem's Lot, a collectible shirt/tote bag, and enamel pin. No limited amount per person. THIS IS NOT PART OF THE MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            Hope you are able to secure one.

Here is the contents from the NRB website:
            This box will include a 1st NRB Special Edition of Salem's Lot, a collectible shirt/tote bag, and enamel pin. No limited amount per person. THIS IS NOT PART OF THE MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION
            Thank you, Martin. I probably could have gotten that if I had actually read through everything

I agree with you about the reaction over on TDT. Those folks can be like a pack of wild dogs when it comes to King sigs.

As far as NRB securing a sig; kinda like buying into the Little Book series in hopes of getting a sig. Best to have your bases covered just in case

Comment

Yes it's ridiculous the reaction and as far as how NRB dealt with the situation they at least realized they could have reacted better and issues an apology. I so Dee how many of the people who are giving them such a bad time are going to apologize for their behavior?

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                at least realized they could have reacted better and issues an apology. I so Dee how many of the people who are giving them such a bad time are going to apologize for their behavior?
                Interesting; I've not seen an apology from them posted. I saw this:

The emails said don't share the link, but offering to buy them for someone else is the exact same thing. Even if you joke about it, still not cool. Many will disagree, but we are not here to kiss up to the collectors. We are here to help add amazing books to your collections. In the last two updates we asked people not to share the link with anyone and what the result would be, so there should be no surprise when people are blocked.

We do this for YOU! Because we love our community, and have fun coming up with stuff and trying to get some amazing, exclusive stuff for YOU!

We started this so that we could send out great reads. The ability to get this books published how we want is just icing on the cake for us, but sadly, with how its going, it might be our last. Shame we had another title as well and have a new foreword being written for it :/

We will open up Salem's Lot tomorrow for anyone else who wants to buy.

Have a great rest of the day, and if there are any subscribers who still don't have a link to purchase a box, let me know and we will provide one.

...but given that that's not an apology (on the contrary, IMO), I must have missed it. I don't have a dog in the fight, but would like to afford them the benefit of the doubt that they realized how folks could react to the negative tone of this earlier email, Brian, so would be interestered in reading their apology if you'd like to repost it here.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                  Interesting; I've not seen an apology from them posted. I saw this:

The emails said don't share the link, but offering to buy them for someone else is the exact same thing. Even if you joke about it, still not cool. Many will disagree, but we are not here to kiss up to the collectors. We are here to help add amazing books to your collections. In the last two updates we asked people not to share the link with anyone and what the result would be, so there should be no surprise when people are blocked.

We do this for YOU! Because we love our community, and have fun coming up with stuff and trying to get some amazing, exclusive stuff for YOU!

We started this so that we could send out great reads. The ability to get this books published how we want is just icing on the cake for us, but sadly, with how its going, it might be our last. Shame we had another title as well and have a new foreword being written for it :/

We will open up Salem's Lot tomorrow for anyone else who wants to buy.

Have a great rest of the day, and if there are any subscribers who still don't have a link to purchase a box, let me know and we will provide one.

...but given that that's not an apology (on the contrary, IMO), I must have missed it. I don't have a dog in the fight, but would like to afford them the benefit of the doubt that they realized how folks could react to the negative tone of this earlier email, Brian, so would be interestered in reading their apology if you'd like to repost it here.
                  Their apology was on Facebook. They did take some of the blame for over reacting. They are a relatively new business. Only around for a year and a half. Their growth has been a lot quicker then they were expecting. Like I said tO have not had any issues with them. In many ways they have remained me of Cemetery Dance with how I have been treated. I would hate to see this misstep hurt them alot.

Comment

I went ahead and got one, mainly because it was Salem's Lot, I hope things settle down and workout for everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      For non-NRB members who are interested this is now available to general public:

http://www.thenocturnalreadersbox.co...le-at-12pm-cst
                      I'm curious about the NRB folks. So far, everything I've seen and heard warns me to steer clear. This can be purchased by non-NRB members? I don't want to be bound by anything. How much is shipping?

Cap
                      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                        I'm curious about the NRB folks. So far, everything I've seen and heard warns me to steer clear. This can be purchased by non-NRB members? I don't want to be bound by anything. How much is shipping?

Cap
                        Shipping on my order was $15.64. I default to Priority for my membership so it may be lower. It is available to order for non-member on the site.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post

Cap
                          I don't mind snail mail. So I paid less for shipping. The total was $84.00 . That includes shipping. Not bad if you consider that you are getting something unique and a couple of other things thrown in.

Comment

My thoughts on NRB's tough week (Sorry it is so long):

This is not intended to be an indictment or defense of NRB or those who are upset with them after this weeks offering. There is fault and over reaction on both sides.

What happened:
                            NRB sent out an email to their subscriber list on March 22nd stating that they would be offering an exclusive King book with a T-shirt and another ‘Goody’. Quantities would be limited and it would be offered to subscribers first. They were clear that if quantities remained it would be offered to the email list two days later.
                            They also stated “We are still working out the contract, but there is likely going to be a small quantity signed.

With the signed books, there will be a separate link to purchase a guaranteed signed copy (50% of the total signed), with the rest being randomized in the total run.”

In an email sent on April 2nd they said the following with regard to signed copies: “Guaranteed Signed: What we know so far is that Steve is going to do his best to get some signed. It looks like we will have a guaranteed quantity, but as of right this second, we don't have a firm yes. I will have a call tomorrow with Steve and his agent and hopefully we can get a thumbs up or down then.”

NRB clearly states they do not have an absolute assurance of signed copies. They also strongly suggest that there would be signed copies and that current subscribers would get a chance at guaranteed signed copies. That led to people subscribing just for the ability to snag a signed copy. These are people who only subscribed to be able to get a signed edition with. Many probably subscribed last year to get the ‘All Hail the King’ box and then unsubscribed.

The morning of April 4th the order link went out stating “We were just told that there is NO signed quantity for this special edition because Steve will be going on tour with the Outsider soon.”. To add insult to injury they appear to have posted this to social media prior to people getting the email and the email service they used returned many of the emails undelivered. In addition The NRB chose to include language in the email basically threatening people who shared the link. They also later said that buying a copy for someone else was just as bad as sharing the link even though they opened to ordering up to ordering multiple copies.

People who subscribed only to get a chance at a signed copy felt deceived. I feel NRB was trying to do a good thing here and give as many people as possible a chance at a signed copy if they indeed get them. Had these same people learned after us subscribers had bought all the guaranteed copies they would probably be complaining just as loud.

In my ten months subscribing to NRB my only issues have been with their communication. They rely to heavily on Social Media. A couple of months ago they were having issues with shipping and when I inquired they said they had posted the issues on Facebook. I do not and will not have a Facebook account. When I am doing business with a company I should not have to check Social Media for an update on my order. I communicated my concerns and they replied that they acknowledged the error and stated that they would do better in the future. They have done better also, this month’s shipment is being delayed due to the release date of the new book and they communicated that to me by email. I have no problem with delays but expect to be notified of them.

A bigger issue in my belief is their tendency to take criticism personally and react childishly. When this week unfolded they received a rash of criticisms, some justified and some not. Their response to this criticism was not good. Their email had statements like “The emails said don't share the link, but offering to buy them for someone else is the exact same thing. Even if you joke about it, still not cool. Many will disagree, but we are not here to kiss up to the collectors.” I strongly disagree with this. If you open the purchase to multiple copies it should not concern you what is done with the additional copies. They also made this statement “The ability to get this books published how we want is just icing on the cake for us, but sadly, with how its going, it might be our last. Shame we had another title as well and have a new foreword being written for it”. This is the equivalent of a child saying if you don’t play by my rules I am going to take my ball and go home.

I like what NRB is doing and really want to see them succeed. I am afraid if they do not grow up handle the business in a more professional manner they may not be long for this world.

Comment

Don't have a dog in the fight, I bought a copy after the dust had settled. Well presented Martin. Sometimes peoples passions get the better of them, sometimes business don't react as they should. PR matters, word of mouth might matter more. Looking forward to a good product.

Comment

Great, thorough summation Martin! This whole thing bums me out because I see wrong on both sides and it's something that is so minor it should not have reached this boiling point. NRB could have handled it better and people really did not need to freak out the way they did. So stupid. I didn't flip out and fire off scalding posts after losing out on a signed MISERY because I dared use Chrome.

And NRB was clear that there would be no signed copies BEFORE the link went live.

Anyway, I hope we can all heal before North Korea nukes us.

Comment

Working...
                                X