Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Don't know if there are any other Kristopher Triana fans here on the forum, but I am a huge fan and wanted to mention that Triana just posted the pre-order link on his website for the limited edition of his upcoming book, The Prettiest Gilr in the Grave. It does state that it will be limited to only 150 copies & will be the only hardback version; so, you may want to order asap as I expect it to sell out quickly. It also comes with a bunch of bonus trinkets and should ship late May. I placed my order!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Testing a theory - the little As with hats - are they only showing when I type a doublespace at the end of a sentence? Which by the way, is the way I learned how to type. That's a really hard habit to break.

ETA: I may be onto something. One space after a period, no weird characters.ÂÂ But if I doublespace, there's the little A.
    Huh. I double-space after my periods as well, but don't have the weird "A" character show up on my posts when I do it on my desktop computer.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Testing a theory - the little As with hats - are they only showing when I type a doublespace at the end of a sentence? Which by the way, is the way I learned how to type. That's a really hard habit to break.

ETA: I may be onto something. One space after a period, no weird characters.  But if I doublespace, there's the little A.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Yeah, the pandemic definitely not help their situation at all.  But as others are well aware, other publishers managed to push through it.  I know that there are limited printers available, and CD has had some horrible luck with theirs, so I assume others have had better luck.

But mhatchett  reminded me - how many books has CD announced where the authors and contributors simply aren't doing the work. 

Also, I have zero idea what books I have due to me from the various book clubs and/or collector's clubs.  Those are sunk costs at this point.

Anyways, back to random thoughts . . .

I'm heading to California for a memorial for my mom at the end of the month.  We're going to drive again because it's easier and cheaper than flying.  My "new" car will now have driven through 19 different states ones this trip is completed.  We'll seeing some beautiful scenery when we visit my home town in the Sierra Nevadas. 

To get ready for those mountain landscapes, I did some research on landscape photography and bought myself a very nice used wide-angle camera lens.  That research also sent me down the rabbit hole of astrophotography which I want to do so badly.  But now it makes me want a new camera, but I need to use the one I have first before I go and start buying new ones. 

Fingers crossed I can get some nice shots.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I'm get it. CD was my entry into the small press collectible world, as well. I feel conflicted as I understand everyone's frustrations, but I also hate to post a lot of negativity. I'm with you in that I hope that CD does come out the other end as well.
    Dan Franklin and I had a similar discussion at Scares that Cares. He and Kevin Lucia were manning a CD table. Nice visit. We discussed the issues that seem to be plaguing CD at the moment. I'm keeping an optimistic, this to shall pass attitude. Some of the problems are common among many business trying to recover post covid, supp[y chain, staff shortages/changes, inflation. Some are particular to CD, my observation, being to trusting, maybe kind, when dealing with authors that can't meet commitments, contributors who won't sign/forward signature sheets. In the end, because I have a long, positive history with them, I believe the ship will get righted. We all know the staff is pretty awesome, Richard, Mindy, Dan are all great people, so I know they will come through.

Leave a comment:

• saginawhorror
    replied
    I added my pre-orders up.

11 CD (all different Book Club books)
    1 Thunderstorm
    2 Bad Hand Books
    1 Lividian through CD

1 Weird House on the way

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

I'm get it. CD was my entry into the small press collectible world, as well. I feel conflicted as I understand everyone's frustrations, but I also hate to post a lot of negativity. I'm with you in that I hope that CD does come out the other end as well.
    Dark Harvest was my entry point, but CD was the almost-immediate followup, so I have a LOT of warm feelings and goodwill built up around their legacy. Perhaps that’s what makes some of the recent issues so frustrating, the negative impact it’s understandably been having in the eyes of some on that legacy. But of course I get it. For me, though, I just hope for the best for the company and that they continue to work on turning things around. But even if things ultimately don’t turn out that way, they have a (thus far) 35-year history that deserves a heckuva lot of respect…not too many small presses out there that can lay claim to that kind of enduring industry impact.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

It's just really frustrating. I know the "cool" thing to do (especially on TDT) is to talk so much crap about CD constantly, but they were the publisher that got me into this collectible world, and I just hope it all comes out at the end.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

I don't post from my phone, only my PC, and I'm still getting, as RonClinton so eloquently described, As with little hats on them.Â
    Well, that blows that theory then. Maybe the forum's haunted...

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Not just you…I keep seeing capital A letters with a mark above it like a hat. No idea why.

And, yes, 19 preorders is a lot, comparatively or not. Ever consider trimming that down w/ CD by canceling and requesting refunds? Or are you determined to stay in for the long haul?
    I think it was shortly after I moved to Colorado (four years ago) that I canceled a bunch of titles with CD.

I do keep going back and forth on canceling what I have left - there are a lot, but I think (for the most part) they are books I want. 

It's just really frustrating.  I know the "cool" thing to do (especially on TDT) is to talk so much crap about CD constantly, but they were the publisher that got me into this collectible world, and I just hope it all comes out at the end.

Looking at my order history, I ordered an inexpensive paperback in March and that was my first order from them in 14 months which is very surprising to me.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied

I'm not sure what causes it, but it only happens to me when I'm posting from my iPhone. When I post via my PC, like now, I don't have that issue.
    I don't post from my phone, only my PC, and I'm still getting, as RonClinton  so eloquently described, As with little hats on them. 

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Here is an end of Workshop Photo from the Scares That Cares Writers Workshop 2023 STC Writers Workshop.jpgSTC Workshop.jpg (Formerly Borderlands Press Writers Bootcamp)

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

For preorders, I'm down to:

1 for CD (The Stand)
    4 for Thunderstorm for $600
    1 for Subterranean for $40
    1 from SST for The Hunger (I don't remember the price)

That's it. I get the rest of my SST books through Camelot so I don't pay until they have the books in hand, ready to ship; Centipede subscription is pay upon shipment as well. Frankly, I'm in the mindset of your last statement. I used to be okay with preorders and waiting the sometimes VERY long wait times until arrival, but as time has progressed, i just don't feel the need to do that anymore. I'm sure there will be exceptions, but with so many different options out there for my book money, I don't feel compelled to lock it up anymore.
    Ok, I lied. I forgot about the lettered editions of Usher's Passing and The Southern Reach Trilogy. That puts 3 for CD, but Usher is on its way and I'm hoping that Southern Reach is not too far behind.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Once the S/L of HAIL MARY from Sub Press arrives in a few days (according to tracking), I will be down to three, count 'em three, total pre-orders -- and one of those was placed a week or so ago for a book that's supposed to be released in just a few weeks (WOLF HUNT 3 from Weird House), which will then bring down my pre-orders down to two. Yes, CD is one of them (THE STAND). Nice to have that kind of tight rein on my money again, so that it's not out there having fun, partying, doing god knows what, for years without me...instead, it's almost all back with me again, content and at home where it belongs, just chillin'. It and I have agreed to keep it that way going forward, except for very, very rare exceptions.
    For preorders, I'm down to:

1 for CD (The Stand)
    4 for Thunderstorm for $600
    1 for Subterranean for $40
    1 from SST for The Hunger (I don't remember the price)

That's it. I get the rest of my SST books through Camelot so I don't pay until they have the books in hand, ready to ship; Centipede subscription is pay upon shipment as well. Frankly, I'm in the mindset of your last statement. I used to be okay with preorders and waiting the sometimes VERY long wait times until arrival, but as time has progressed, i just don't feel the need to do that anymore. I'm sure there will be exceptions, but with so many different options out there for my book money, I don't feel compelled to lock it up anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Is it just me, or are you all seeing random characters in replies? I was only seeing it on mhatchett 's replies, but I just had it happen to mine above.
    I'm not sure what causes it, but it only happens to me when I'm posting from my iPhone. When I post via my PC, like now, I don't have that issue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X