Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
    I believe they are there, but not too common, as the water gets too warm in the summer for them, and not a lot of spawning streams - Lake Ontario and Huron, Superior are better - more spawning areas, and colder, and cleaner water.

Detroit River and L Erie and St. Clair are more for the bass, perch, pickerel, and smaller fish like crappie, but also, as I said previously, great for Muskie. Tons of catfish too, and it's rare you go without catching a sheephead (freshwater drum) when using worms as bait.

Here is an example (from local paper March 2016) on what I mean about this area thriving for perch/pickerel: http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...up-for-walleye
    The committee recommended the catch limit for yellow perch drop from 10.528 million pounds in Lake Erie last year to 9.208 million pounds for 2016. The quotas are for sport fishing on both sides of the border and the Ontario-based commercial fishing industry. Under a formula, Ontario’s allowable perch catch will be 4.385 million pounds which is more than the four individual quotas for the U.S. areas of the lake.

The walleye catch limits are done in number of fish not pounds.

The recommended total allowable catch is 4.937 million walleye for 2016 compared to last year’s limit of 4.114 million fish. Tiessen said once it is figured out by pound it is about an eight per cent increase.

That's a lot of fish!!!!!! Plus it's a sustainable number.
    Nothing wrong with reeling in some cats and drum though, they put up a good little fight. I guess not much for eating, but I don't eat much of what comes out of the rivers around here anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
      Martin, how did you fair with the freezing rain? Did it thaw or just keeping getting worse?
      Martin, we got about 1/4" of freezing rain over night. Slid all the way down my driveway to the sidewalk and couldn't get back to the garage without going through the snow on the lawn. I've never experience freezing rain before this year so it's been interesting.

Comment

Martin, we got about 1/4" of freezing rain over night. Slid all the way down my driveway to the sidewalk and couldn't get back to the garage without going through the snow on the lawn. I've never experience freezing rain before this year so it's been interesting.
        Just noticed your earlier question. We got maybe a 1/8th inch ice this time. The good news was that for us it was quickly followed by warming temperatures and everything is clearing up. I have dealt with freezing rain enough to know to be very careful in it. Walking outside in this one was aided by the snow pack. It allowed me to step in the snow and break through the ice. I would not want to be in Hood River!

Comment

Ahh...the good ol' can't walk up my driveway routine! Been there a few times. We get them maybe once a year where I am, but usually avoid the major ice - seems like the ice storms stay south of me.

Comment

I better appreciate those news stories that show the cars slide, seemingly in slow motion, down the road bumping into each other. That's how I felt on the driveway, just slowly sliding and nothing to stop it until the concrete leveled off.

Comment

Random thought indeed, My first Cemetery Dance book, October Dreams, My first Centipede Press book, Falling Angel.

Comment

Those are both excellent books.
                “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Today is Bell Let's Talk day here in Canada. http://letstalk.bell.ca/en/

I know I brought this up last year, and want to thank everybody for their support. It's an initiative to help end the stigma of mental health issues here in Canada. Any social media interactions (Twitter, Instagram, etc.) using #BellLetsTalk

Comment

So...I'm an idiot and left a copy of my limited edition of Chiliad: A Meditation by Clive Barker on the floor in my study. It's just me and my wife and it was resting nicely in front of my bookshelf on the carpet. It's not something I normally do, but didn't think there was much harm in it.

Well, one of my dogs decided that it was upset or territorial or something and...peed all over it.

It's my stupid fault for leaving it on the floor, but, man, that made me an unhappy camper.

Comment

No Way! That sounds like an Alligator ate my homework story ARRRGGGHHH!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                        So...I'm an idiot and left a copy of my limited edition of Chiliad: A Meditation by Clive Barker on the floor in my study. It's just me and my wife and it was resting nicely in front of my bookshelf on the carpet. It's not something I normally do, but didn't think there was much harm in it.

Well, one of my dogs decided that it was upset or territorial or something and...peed all over it.

It's my stupid fault for leaving it on the floor, but, man, that made me an unhappy camper.
                        Ouch! Definitely calls for one of those dog shaming photos is see all over social media.

Comment

CD is teasing a big announcement today. I can't wait to see what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                            CD is teasing a big announcement today. I can't wait to see what it is!
                            Did they say "today"? I saw a tweet, but it did not say when specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                              Well, maybe I just hope it's today!

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                                They do not say a day. I also took it as more a Big Richard Chizmar announcement rather than a Cemetery Dance announcement.

Comment

Working...
                                X