Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
    Amen to that. Yesterday we got up to about 20F and today we've warmed up from -3.5F to -1.2F. We're supposed to be getting the freezing rain and snow, too. My street is already a sheet of ice from snow in December that has never melted. A most unusual winter.
    I hear you. The current forecast is to get above freezing tonight (that will be the first time in a week at my house) The foot of snow has been packed down to a two inch snow/ice layer. I have been able to drive on it by being very careful. That layer is now being coated with a smooth layer of ice (freezing rain) which I will not even attempt to drive on.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
      I don't mind the near constant snow (towering in snow hills taller than my 6'3"height), significantly below freezing temperatures, and lack of sunlight that winter brings to the Mediocre Central Canada... Oh wait, yeah I do. If it only last 3 months I think I wouldn't hate it so much, but the 5 months it sticks around for is pushing it!

On the light side though, for some inexplicable reason it's supposed to go above freezing later this week. Which is great but it will be messy and quite dangerous when it freezes over again. Freezing rain is the worst Martin, it feels colder than snow, and is much more dangerous in general, and I worry we'll be getting some of that soon too.
      One of the worst parts about this is that it is so unusual. The cities are not prepared to handle it and most of the residents have no clue how to drive in it. When the snow first hit a major highway (US26) got completely gridlocked. One of the local TV stations had a reporter walk to a large tunnel on the highway (It is about 4 blocks from their studios.) It was so bad they set up their gear and did live broadcasts form on the highway while standing in the tunnel. Cars did not move for several hours. They say most were stuck 4 to 6 hours. People in the nearby homes brought down warm drinks and allowed people to walk up to their house and use the restroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        One of the worst parts about this is that it is so unusual. The cities are not prepared to handle it and most of the residents have no clue how to drive in it. When the snow first hit a major highway (US26) got completely gridlocked. One of the local TV stations had a reporter walk to a large tunnel on the highway (It is about 4 blocks from their studios.) It was so bad they set up their gear and did live broadcasts form on the highway while standing in the tunnel. Cars did not move for several hours. They say most were stuck 4 to 6 hours. People in the nearby homes brought down warm drinks and allowed people to walk up to their house and use the restroom.
        You are 100% correct. We do have some of the best snow clearing service in the world. You will NEVER see a snow day in Winnipeg, no matter how much some of us would love one. We also have experience driving in this weather too... or at least we should. Well 50% are prepared to drive in this weather, which is better than 5%. In addition to that many people here will have their vehicles equipped with snow tires, or at the least "all season" tires. What you can only prepare for so much is when it's so cold your car won't start, especially unexpected weather drops. I was at my girlfriends and couldn't plug my car in over night, it wasn't even 24 hours later and my engine wouldn't turn over.

Plus it's just fun to gripe sometimes!

Comment

Come down south a little, guys. Sunny and 55 here tomorrow

Comment

I hear you. The current forecast is to get above freezing tonight (that will be the first time in a week at my house) The foot of snow has been packed down to a two inch snow/ice layer. I have been able to drive on it by being very careful. That layer is now being coated with a smooth layer of ice (freezing rain) which I will not even attempt to drive on.
            My street was a snowy mess and by the time they got the plow down it, the snow was well packed down and sitting on an ice layer from freezing rain we had last month. Once it's packed and then gets plowed, that can basically act as a primer and leaves behind a nice, level layer that then gets polished to a slick sheet of ice. Which is exactly what happened this past week. I put in an order at Home Depot this morning for 160 lbs of ice melt to pick up later today. As the storm moves in and the temps rise this evening, I'll go out and spread the ice melt to speed up the melting and try to get the ice off before it freezes again at the end of the week. I can't wait for spring but I'm afraid that it's going to be flooding when it arrives. I moved here because the winters are much better than where I grew up but this one makes me feel like I've moved back.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
              Did you not get all that freezing rain they were talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                The actual climate may be nicer, but I prefer the political climate here!

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                  Did you not get all that freezing rain they were talking about?
                  The northwest part of the state got hammered pretty good but we just got rain down here in the southeast. The media was hyping it up like it was going to be the end of the world! Thinking they need to go hang out with Martin and Dan see a real winter.

The actual climate may be nicer, but I prefer the political climate here!
                  LOL, Dan!

Comment

I won't live any further North or South, for the politics or the weather lol!! The weather in Richmond really is great. Just enough Winter, great transition Seasons, Summer can be a bit Character building, but after Iraq, what's rally hot HAHAHA!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                      I won't live any further North or South, for the politics or the weather lol!! The weather in Richmond really is great. Just enough Winter, great transition Seasons, Summer can be a bit Character building, but after Iraq, what's rally hot HAHAHA!!
                      Well put my friend! We get some scorching summers here too, and it's humid heat, not dry. But man, I will never complain, no matter how hot it is. That's one thing I've never understood, when you get winters like ours, people need to just enjoy the heat while they can!

Also I am glad to have all the season, though the lengths and intensities may be a bit skewed, I'd rather have some snow than none at all. Besides, how can you appreciate the best season, Autumn, if it's not sandwiched between the two extremes?
                      Last edited by Theli; 01-17-2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Well put my friend! We get some scorching summers here too, and it's humid heat, not dry. But man, I will never complain, no matter how hot it is. That's one thing I've never understood, when you get winters like ours, people need to just enjoy the heat while they can!

Also I am glad to have all the season, though the lengths and intensities may be a bit skewed, I'd rather have some snow than none at all. Besides, how can you appreciate the best season, Autumn, if it's not sandwiched between the two extremes?
                        Indeed!

Comment

I love living in the Pacific Northwest. I am working from home today and have a view of Cedar and Fir trees out my den window. They are not usually snowcapped but today they are. We typically have mild winters, occasional snow, plenty of rain but everything is green. We have nice Spring and Fall, plenty of trees to see cherry blossoms in the spring and colors in the fall. Summers are mostly mild, we rarely see triple digit temperatures and have very little humidity.

I live just over an hour from the beach and just over an hour from a glacier covered mountain. On those rare hot days I can go to the beach or go play on a glacier, both of which run about 65 - 70 degrees when it is over 100 here. I am less than an hour from the Columbia river gorge with waterfalls and hikes galore, not to mention great wineries and restaurants. I am about two hours form high desert and an active volcano, both offer great hiking, sightseeing and overall peace.

Comment

I love living in the Pacific Northwest. I am working from home today and have a view of Cedar and Fir trees out my den window. They are not usually snowcapped but today they are. We typically have mild winters, occasional snow, plenty of rain but everything is green. We have nice Spring and Fall, plenty of trees to see cherry blossoms in the spring and colors in the fall. Summers are mostly mild, we rarely see triple digit temperatures and have very little humidity.

I live just over an hour from the beach and just over an hour from a glacier covered mountain. On those rare hot days I can go to the beach or go play on a glacier, both of which run about 65 - 70 degrees when it is over 100 here. I am less than an hour from the Columbia river gorge with waterfalls and hikes galore, not to mention great wineries and restaurants. I am about two hours form high desert and an active volcano, both offer great hiking, sightseeing and overall peace.
                            Awesome adventures to partake in for sure!

Comment

I'm in the Great Lakes area (Windsor, Ontario - most southerly city in Canada!!!!!! Actually have to go north to cross into Detroit, MI). We had 2 big snow storms before Christmas (within 5 days of each other) that brought us in total, probably close to 20" of snow. Another was supposed to hit about 5 days after that, but the system changed course and it rained after Christmas. And rained, and rained. Had one record high at end of December (I think). Even had a brief thunderstorm (t-storm capital of Canad too). January has seen more rain and April like temps (mid 40s, low 50s) This week is just that...mid to upper 40s. We just missed freezing rain overnight and this morning. Calling for possible thunderstorms this afternoon. Lows above freezing, and continuing into next week.

Keep in mind, we usually have a decent amount of snow on the ground usually from late December, into March - plus cold enough that if you wanted, you could make a very good, and long last ice rink, plus you should own a snowblower. Not this year!

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                                I'm in the Great Lakes area (Windsor, Ontario - most southerly city in Canada!!!!!! Actually have to go north to cross into Detroit, MI). We had 2 big snow storms before Christmas (within 5 days of each other) that brought us in total, probably close to 20" of snow. Another was supposed to hit about 5 days after that, but the system changed course and it rained after Christmas. And rained, and rained. Had one record high at end of December (I think). Even had a brief thunderstorm (t-storm capital of Canad too). January has seen more rain and April like temps (mid 40s, low 50s) This week is just that...mid to upper 40s. We just missed freezing rain overnight and this morning. Calling for possible thunderstorms this afternoon. Lows above freezing, and continuing into next week.

Keep in mind, we usually have a decent amount of snow on the ground usually from late December, into March - plus cold enough that if you wanted, you could make a very good, and long last ice rink, plus you should own a snowblower. Not this year!
                                I could ice skate on my street, though it's a bit lumpy. This is the first year I got a snowblower and I'm glad I got it. It was warm well into November and I thought it was a bit foolish getting it (in September) but December hit and woe is me. Snow has been on the ground since then.

Comment

Working...
                                X