No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So...it appears the big thing in phone scams is the spoofing of a local cell phone number, calling your (mine) cell phone. It appears local, so you thing "well, maybe I should answer, it's a local cell phone...". As a valued WestJet customer you've been approved for $999 WestJet dollars, press 1 to claim...." Hhhmmm...funny how WestJet would be calling from a cell phone, and the even odder thing....I haven't flow in 20+ years, and I don't think WestJet was even around then!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
      Just finished a war with a particularly nasty virus, adding malware faster than I could catch it.

Remember Microsoft Security Essentials, remember MalWareBytes, and for all that is holy, remember Safe Mode (NO network), and for the embattled, all may yet be as it should.

Or just get a Mac, I suppose. Personally, I shall fight.
      So here's my theory on how to deal with particularly bad viruses. Boot the computer in Safe Mode, back up the important stuff, the reformat the whole computer. Reformatting regularly is actually surprisingly good for the health of a computer anyways so when a bad virus hits I tend to feel like the "Burn it to the ground" method seems to work best. If nothing else it's much less of a headache and usually takes a lot less time.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
        So...it appears the big thing in phone scams is the spoofing of a local cell phone number, calling your (mine) cell phone. It appears local, so you thing "well, maybe I should answer, it's a local cell phone...". As a valued WestJet customer you've been approved for $999 WestJet dollars, press 1 to claim...." Hhhmmm...funny how WestJet would be calling from a cell phone, and the even odder thing....I haven't flow in 20+ years, and I don't think WestJet was even around then!!!!
        Ha yea I've been getting calls from "Google" wanting to speak to the business owner about improving my "website's" search placement. I have also been getting calls wanting to speak to the business owner about "securing capital" for my "business".

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          So here's my theory on how to deal with particularly bad viruses. Boot the computer in Safe Mode, back up the important stuff, the reformat the whole computer. Reformatting regularly is actually surprisingly good for the health of a computer anyways so when a bad virus hits I tend to feel like the "Burn it to the ground" method seems to work best. If nothing else it's much less of a headache and usually takes a lot less time.
          You're right, this is the best way to do it. I haven't formatted in a few years now on my desktop, and considered doing it on my infected laptop yesterday before I had success in safe mode. I used to re-install windows every year or so when I was a heavy PC gamer, just to keep everything at its optimum and squeeze the last bit of performance from the machine that I could. I guess I've gotten lazy, and don't play as much as I used to.
          “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
          -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

You're right, this is the best way to do it. I haven't formatted in a few years now on my desktop, and considered doing it on my infected laptop yesterday before I had success in safe mode. I used to re-install windows every year or so when I was a heavy PC gamer, just to keep everything at its optimum and squeeze the last bit of performance from the machine that I could. I guess I've gotten lazy, and don't play as much as I used to.
            Yea mostly I just find that over time my computer fills up with programs I no longer use, which even if you uninstall them always leaves a little something behind to bog things down.

Instagram

Comment

Hey all,

Wanted to share with you two articles from the untouchable Joe R. Lansdale that he's posted over the last few years and I've just read this week, both of which had a profound effect on me during and after. They're true stories of his past and serve to enhance the man as a writer with very few peers, though the humility in the writing steers in the opposite direction.

I'll bet you will be moved by these accounts. They're short, and I can promise you it's time well spent if you've got a few minutes. I'll never forget the first one listed here, and am probably a bit better person for having read the second.

As a young boy, and his relationship with his father:
              http://www.mulhollandbooks.com/2013/...ggone-justice/

As a young, struggling writer:
              http://www.texasobserver.org/the-drowned-man/
              -John Barth

Comment

"The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved."

T.E.D. Klein, 'The Events at Poroth Farm'
                -John Barth

Comment

Quit 5 years ago today, and it required dozens of attempts. Smokers, I miss you, feel your pain, and will always be one of you.

firestarter.jpg
                  -John Barth

Comment

Quit 5 years ago today, and it required dozens of attempts. Smokers, I miss you, feel your pain, and will always be one of you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16839[/ATTACH]
                    Congrats buddy! I quit just about a month and a week ago, didn't mark the date. First attempt, should be my last attempt too. I still get the odd craving, when stressed or depressed, but being around smokers doesn't bother me.

Comment

Good job, Theli! It's an accomplishment sometimes not credited too highly but makes a world of difference. I like the idea that you didn't mark the date - indicates you taking it in stride.

I marked day one of the occasion by buying the PC game Dragon Age: Origins to give me something to focus on, but never ended up playing it. Every time I come across the game in my Steam library it's a pleasant reminder of battlefield victory.

Hats off, and best of luck to you! Sounds like you've already got the worst of it beaten.
                      -John Barth

Comment

I quit smoking over 11 years ago and do not miss it at all. The smell of cigarette smoke infuriates me now. I can't be within 20 feet of someone smoking without being horribly bothered by the smell. I was a pack-a-day smoker too. It's kind of horrible but I do still enjoy watching people smoke in movies, especially black and white films, just so long as I don't have to smell it. Congrats to all who've quit or are trying to quit. You will feel so much better!

Comment

Yeah I can feel a difference already. Nice to be able to breathe again. A bike ride to work gets my sweat on, but my heart ain't racing like mad and I ain't out of breath. Same goes for my ab workouts. I didn't smoke cigs though, I smoke cigars/cigarellos, about 6 per day, a 20 pack would normally last 3 days.

Comment

Quit back in 2001. I have a tolerance now for cigarette smoke that I didn't before I became a smoker. I don't care for it, but I can tolerate it. I'm more apt to be judgmental about it if I'm with my nephews or nieces or other young'uns. But if it's just me, I usally don't mind. I think actions against smoking in movies is ridiculous, but it is what it is. I just take whatever flyer they're pushing, quip "Propaganda to go with my movie. No need to buy popcorn," take a bite out of it and start chewing. People tend to go away quickly when you do that.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I never did get caught up in the tobacco thing, mostly because my poor mother died of lung cancer when I was a kid. I can still see the red Pall Mall packs sitting on the kitchen table next to a black cup of coffee. I'm always surprised and disappointed whenever I see young people smoking. When I first went into the Army 1976, I was the only one who didn't smoke in my platoon and they used to give us cigarettes in our c rations. I would always trade mine for pound cake lol!! Coffee and tea, that another matter, almost always have one or the other in my hand.

Comment

Smoking is a habit I am glad I never picked up. My Dad was a smoker (just quit last summer after smoking for probably 40+ years), and my Mom (non-smoker) married another smoker, so it's surprising almost I never bothered with it. I did have a form of cancer at 12 years old where a portion of a lung was affected, so that probably plays into a lot.

My wife quit smoking just after we got married (almost 9 years ago now) - she had a health scare due to smoking + birth control ...developed big blood clot in her lung! Again, both he parents and brother are smokers.

So congrats to all those who quit! I know it's hard - and you have to be strong mentally too.

One thing that amazes me in a way (and this isn't meant to offend) is that it is such an expensive habit....at least here in Canada, prices on cigarettes are very high, or so I am told. it's like $10/pk maybe? So imagine a pk/day smoker. Thanks like $3500 + a year!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X