X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, it was about what I was expecting. I was secretly hoping that maybe their might have been some sort of surprise LE book(s) announced in 2023 via the club that might sway me toward 2024, but it doesn't sound like that happened. Definitely passing on 2024 unless, as you mention, CD makes some sort of detailed announcement regarding future plans and if they plan to continue publishing hardcovers/LEs.

P.S.- Hope no one thinks that I'm being negative toward CD or anyone who does want to purchase CDCC 2024. Was just trying to gauge how 2023s club went as I have never been a part of the CDCC.

I think that negativity would not be out of the question right about now. I was on-board for the CC since the beginning, mostly for the exclusive books, some of which I'm sure I am still owed. I stayed a member because there was a series from another publisher that I was collecting, and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss a book, and my matching number. When I stopped collecting the series, I dropped out of the CC. I still get CD e-mails, but until I read these posts, it hadn't really hit me that they've basically published nothing in quite some time.

I'm just about at a point where I'm ready to ask for a list of what I've pre-ordered, and seeing if it's worth trying to get a refund. It seems like CD has become an e-mail outlet to endlessly plug Richard Chizmar's newest book, which is fine, if they were still an active press, but they seem to have lapsed into one of their occasional dormancies that led me to not renew my magazine subscription and stop pre-ordering, and without Brian Freeman around, I wonder if they'll ever awaken from this one.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

I purchased the 2023 edition and have had no reason to use it. By my count CD has published 3 limited edition books in 2023 (Disappearance at Devils Rock, The Summoning and Interview with a Vampire). Add that to the complete lack of communication regarding future plans or product sold and not yet delivered have left me basically ignoring CD at this point.Â
    Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, it was about what I was expecting. I was secretly hoping that maybe their might have been some sort of surprise LE book(s) announced in 2023 via the club that might sway me toward 2024, but it doesn't sound like that happened. Definitely passing on 2024 unless, as you mention, CD makes some sort of detailed announcement regarding future plans and if they plan to continue publishing hardcovers/LEs.

P.S.- Hope no one thinks that I'm being negative toward CD or anyone who does want to purchase CDCC 2024. Was just trying to gauge how 2023s club went as I have never been a part of the CDCC.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Random question, but did anyone here pick-up the CDCC 2023, and are they planning to renew for 2024? Just wondering how "worth it" the 2023 version ended-up being for people. I myself am only interested in hardcover limited-edition books from CD, and it seems like in 2023 everything new from CD that I can remember offhand was either a paperback or eBook. That alone makes it almost impossible for me to consider joining for 2024 as I have no way of knowing if CD will be publishing hardcover LEs or if they plan to stay on the paperback/eBook train. I do know that If I had purchased CDCC for 2023, I honestly don't know that I would have ever made a purchase using it, perhaps one of the SK slipcases at most.
    I passed in 2023, and I'm not signing up for 2024 either. I've been buying their 99c e-books, and ordering slipcases, but that's about it.

I'm still waiting for the appropriately-titled Waiting, by Rick Hautala (CD Book Club # 4).

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Random question, but did anyone here pick-up the CDCC 2023, and are they planning to renew for 2024? Just wondering how "worth it" the 2023 version ended-up being for people. I myself am only interested in hardcover limited-edition books from CD, and it seems like in 2023 everything new from CD that I can remember offhand was either a paperback or eBook. That alone makes it almost impossible for me to consider joining for 2024 as I have no way of knowing if CD will be publishing hardcover LEs or if they plan to stay on the paperback/eBook train. I do know that If I had purchased CDCC for 2023, I honestly don't know that I would have ever made a purchase using it, perhaps one of the SK slipcases at most.
    I purchased the 2023 edition and have had no reason to use it. By my count CD has published 3 limited edition books in 2023 (Disappearance at Devils Rock, The Summoning and Interview with a Vampire). Add that to the complete lack of communication regarding future plans or product sold and not yet delivered have left me basically ignoring CD at this point. 

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Best of luck. I wouldn't expect much however I've picked up a few decent things from there. The range in condition is pretty wide.

Oddly enough, I just placed an order with them on Friday for some random Xmas presents. All of the books that I ordered were listed in at least very good condition; so, I have my fingers crossed!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Random thought and comment. Do not forget about Thrift Books if you aren't concerned about the condition of a book or movie. They are budget friendly and typically ship free.

I just bought my autistic son, who is adult aged, several things off of there for Christmas. He doesn't care about condition of things, and is very hard on things, so it works perfect for me to pick him up some books and movies cheap.
    Oddly enough, I just placed an order with them on Friday for some random Xmas presents. All of the books that I ordered were listed in at least very good condition; so, I have my fingers crossed!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Random thought and comment. Do not forget about Thrift Books if you aren't concerned about the condition of a book or movie. They are budget friendly and typically ship free.

I just bought my autistic son, who is adult aged, several things off of there for Christmas. He doesn't care about condition of things, and is very hard on things, so it works perfect for me to pick him up some books and movies cheap.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    That is awesome. You need to get JH to include this as an inscription in a book someday.

He was pretty pissed off, lol. If I remind him, he might pick up the book and whack me upside the head with it!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    That is awesome. You need to get JH to include this as an inscription in a book someday.

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

I never met the man in person, but Joe Hill did tell me to "Drink a tall glass of shut the fuck up!" over on the Shocklines board right around the time he was outed as Stephen King's kid, so...I'll always have that!

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied

Through my own stupidity, I was in a B&N a few weeks ago while Rachel Harrison was doing a reading and signing, and I missed it completely, despite my wife hearing her speak and telling me "You should go over there! She sounds right up your alley!" I guess she's local, so I'm hoping to catch her next time.

And Brian Keene has told me that he and Mary are hoping to get up here next year, so...there's hope for me yet, lol.

I never met the man in person, but Joe Hill did tell me to "Drink a tall glass of shut the fuck up!" over on the Shocklines board right around the time he was outed as Stephen King's kid, so...I'll always have that!
    Hahahahaha no one can ever take that away from you! It's a great Joe Hill story! I hope you can make an event somewhere--because it's not just the author, it's the crowd they draw. Strand, Fracassi, McCammon--three insanely talented writers and everyone who turned out to see them was a stellar human. They get us because we are them.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

Yeah I am very lucky to live just 2.5 hours away from Birmingham, AL. In the past I've been very stupid (or lazy!). When I lived in Chicago I decided Milwaukee was too far to attend a Joe Hill event. Seriously, what the hell was I thinking?!

Sorry you haven't had the opportunity to attend one of these. That sucks. I'll say that there are online events that can be a lot of fun. Not the same as in-person, but we'd had a few Fracassi Zoom calls that bring everyone together and the best part is you don't have to drive anywhere. It doesn't get you a signed copy, but it's fun.
    Through my own stupidity, I was in a B&N a few weeks ago while Rachel Harrison was doing a reading and signing, and I missed it completely, despite my wife hearing her speak and telling me "You should go over there! She sounds right up your alley!" I guess she's local, so I'm hoping to catch her next time.

And Brian Keene has told me that he and Mary are hoping to get up here next year, so...there's hope for me yet, lol.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied

I wish I lived near people who liked what I like, lol! That and no authors that I like ever come this far north to sign....
    Yeah I am very lucky to live just 2.5 hours away from Birmingham, AL. In the past I've been very stupid (or lazy!). When I lived in Chicago I decided Milwaukee was too far to attend a Joe Hill event. Seriously, what the hell was I thinking?!

Sorry you haven't had the opportunity to attend one of these. That sucks. I'll say that there are online events that can be a lot of fun. Not the same as in-person, but we'd had a few Fracassi Zoom calls that bring everyone together and the best part is you don't have to drive anywhere. It doesn't get you a signed copy, but it's fun.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I recently saw McCammon at his Seven Shades of Evil book launch and I had a tremendously awesome time in large part to two people in this forum. Some of the best people are here, active in this forum. I don't think there's a person who has posted here that I don't like and thoroughly respect. Even if I don't agree with everything. I consider you all my friends. And two of you have made the event with McCammon better than I could have imagined.

http://youtu.be/EUNTpRimd_A?si=PZyvwzD9r7fZdESK
    I wish I lived near people who liked what I like, lol! That and no authors that I like ever come this far north to sign....

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    I recently saw McCammon at his Seven Shades of Evil book launch and I had a tremendously awesome time in large part to two people in this forum. Some of the best people are here, active in this forum. I don't think there's a person who has posted here that I don't like and thoroughly respect. Even if I don't agree with everything. I consider you all my friends. And two of you have made the event with McCammon better than I could have imagined.

http://youtu.be/EUNTpRimd_A?si=PZyvwzD9r7fZdESK

Leave a comment:

Working...
X