Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    We'll be sending the newsletter in about 90 minutes!

I think there are definitely readers who will love this announcement. Some won't care. (Stephen King was thrilled about the news and gave us a super blurb out of the blue, totally unsolicited.) Today's announcement is another push deeper into the world of trade publishing, which those of you who enjoy discussing the ins and outs of publishing might find interesting.

Next week's announcement will be fun to watch in terms of collector reaction: a "newer" author we've never worked with before whose books have been huge hits and very popular. We're big fans and thrilled to be adding this author to our list.

Brian
    Thanks for the insight!

Pardon my ignorance, but what separates trade publishing from small press publishing? I know quality tends to be way higher with small presses. Is there a print number that draws the line?

Comment

Originally posted by coderedx View Post
      Thanks for the insight!

Pardon my ignorance, but what separates trade publishing from small press publishing? I know quality tends to be way higher with small presses. Is there a print number that draws the line?
      It's more about how the books are distributed for sale. Trade editions are the ones you'll find in your local bookstore.

Brian
      Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
      My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Thanks for the insight!

I'd also add that volume of books published is a defining characteristic. For example I recently read that Penguin - Random House publish approximately 15,000 book annually. Where as most small press probably don't even publish 100 different titles a year.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

And the above points are what threw me off when I first (in the last 2 yrs say) got into the whole world of books by small press.... I was thinking to myself: How come I cannot find any books by CD (or Dark Regions, etc.) at my local Chapters?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
            And the above points are what threw me off when I first (in the last 2 yrs say) got into the whole world of books by small press.... I was thinking to myself: How come I cannot find any books by CD (or Dark Regions, etc.) at my local Chapters?!?!?!
            I frequent the used bookstores around my hometown, and I recently saw a Secretary of Dreams Vol. 2 for sale (at an enormous markup), but other than that, I've never seen a small press book at one of the stores. People buy these directly and then hang on to them for dear life!

I had no idea the big publishers printed that many different books... the whole industry is fascinating.

Comment

Just got the first big announcement......all I can say is what a fantastic package that is!!!!!!!!

Comment

Trade paperbacks and ebooks, that alone deserves a ton of praise! I don't know if I can budget the bundle but certainly a good offer. If only The Store was on the list! haha maybe next round.

Comment

I will be having to pass, as that is out of my price range at this time, and I am not sure how much of a fan of Little that I am yet either.

Comment

That was an exciting announcement.

But the real question is: who is the author in next week's big announcement? I haven't been able to peg anybody down... and I love speculation!

Comment

That was an exciting announcement.

But the real question is: who is the author in next week's big announcement? I haven't been able to peg anybody down... and I love speculation!
                      I haven't a clue, but I'm pretty excited to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
                        We'll be sending the newsletter in about 90 minutes!

I think there are definitely readers who will love this announcement. Some won't care. (Stephen King was thrilled about the news and gave us a super blurb out of the blue, totally unsolicited.) Today's announcement is another push deeper into the world of trade publishing, which those of you who enjoy discussing the ins and outs of publishing might find interesting.

Next week's announcement will be fun to watch in terms of collector reaction: a "newer" author we've never worked with before whose books have been huge hits and very popular. We're big fans and thrilled to be adding this author to our list.

Brian
                        Well from this posts I have two guess. Neil Gaiman, maybe American Gods (I know Easton released a copy, but did anyone have a numbered/lettered?) or my original guess, which would fit with the 'newer' part, is John Ajvide Lindqvist's Let the Right One In.

Comment

Burn, the concluding volume in Julianna Baggott's "Pure" Trilogy comes out on 04 Feb, for those of us who ware not waiting for CD's editions to read the series. (I should be done with The Count of Monte Cristo by then.)
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

So yes...it's been a very snowy winter by Windsor, Ontario standards - snowiest (and probably coldest) January on record here. A short drive out to the county....they've had problem with drifting snow..... This is unheard of here in this part of Canada.

Amherstburg (shown in picture) is located where Lake Erie joins up with the Detroit River.

aburgsnowdrift.jpg

Here is a link to more:
                            http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/01...s-jan-29-2014/

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                              So yes...it's been a very snowy winter by Windsor, Ontario standards - snowiest (and probably coldest) January on record here. A short drive out to the county....they've had problem with drifting snow..... This is unheard of here in this part of Canada.

Amherstburg (shown in picture) is located where Lake Erie joins up with the Detroit River.
                              Now that's some serious snow! We've gotten some snow, but it's the sub-zero temps that are more annoying.

Comment

Wow ski slope in the front yard.Crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X