Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saginawhorror
    replied
    only one book at a time. only exception would probably be a magazine.

Leave a comment:

• Mac Campbell
    replied
    Originally posted by HorrorScribe View Post
    Thankee-sai!!
    I have an old Sony reader, no wireless. I have 22 books on it (I keep the ones I like). It's nice to carry around 22 books without breaking your back.

My wife's parents are lifelong book people. Their house is a dusty fire-hazard full of powdery books. Som of these books are so compressed in the shelves that they appear to be becoming wood again. They have every book they've ever read and some of those books are awful and dated. Readers are a pretty good way of keeping back that tide of old books.

I'm fine with physical books as long as they're good. But a subsidized history book of your local park, or a guide to all the ministers of the Unitarian church down the street? Those can be electronic.

Leave a comment:

• HorrorScribe
    replied
    Originally posted by srboone View Post
    Amen, brother. And can I get a Hallelujah and a GAWD, I said GAWD-bomb with that!!!

Somewhere, deep within the bowels of those infernal machines, you'll find the name Positronics and Sombra Corporation.
    Thankee-sai!!

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    As long as there are still people around like us, we'll do everything in our power to keep the physical book alive. So much of the reading experience is lost or not present at all with ebooks. Time to begin a new revolution toward physical books once again reigning supreme. I'd like to personally submit my undying gratitude to CD and other specialty presses who have maintained a physical book line because my reading habits are inextricably linked to actual books. None of those ethereal megabytes for me.
    Amen, brother! And can I get a Hallelujah and a GAWD, I said GAWD-bomb with that!!!

Somewhere, deep within the bowels of those infernal machines, you'll find the names Positronics and Sombra Corporation, I'm sure.
    Last edited by srboone; 08-19-2011, 05:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HorrorScribe
    replied
    Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
    I bought a Nook about a year ago and have never used it one time. It's just been sitting in its box near the fireplace. I don't even know if it actually works lol. I have listened to several audiobooks but that too, is hard because it requires so much concentration. I'd rather just have a physical book I can grab at anytime.
    As long as there are still people around like us, we'll do everything in our power to keep the physical book alive. So much of the reading experience is lost or not present at all with ebooks. Time to begin a new revolution toward physical books once again reigning supreme. I'd like to personally submit my undying gratitude to CD and other specialty presses who have maintained a physical book line because my reading habits are inextricably linked to actual books. None of those ethereal megabytes for me.

Leave a comment:

• theenormityofitall
    replied
    Like most of you, I can only read one book at a time. And I also have refused to get into ebooks, despite the huge temptation of Stephen King's "Ur" and his forthcoming "Mile 81." As far as quirky reading habits, I get very distracted by typos to the point where no matter how sucked into a story I am, one misspelling or other minor error will force me to put the book down and return to it later. I guess I'm much too detail-oriented.
    I bought a Nook about a year ago and have never used it one time. It's just been sitting in its box near the fireplace. I don't even know if it actually works lol. I have listened to several audiobooks but that too, is hard because it requires so much concentration. I'd rather just have a physical book I can grab at anytime.

Leave a comment:

• HorrorScribe
    replied
    Like most of you, I can only read one book at a time. And I also have refused to get into ebooks, despite the huge temptation of Stephen King's "Ur" and his forthcoming "Mile 81." As far as quirky reading habits, I get very distracted by typos to the point where no matter how sucked into a story I am, one misspelling or other minor error will force me to put the book down and return to it later. I guess I'm much too detail-oriented.

Leave a comment:

• TerryE
    replied
    "I was kidnapped once. I was standing in front of my schoolyard, and a black sedan pulls up. And two guys get out, and they say to me, do I wanna go away with them to a land, where everybody is fairies and elves, and I can have all the comic books I want and chocolate and wax lips, you know. And I said "yes", y'know, and I got into the car with them, 'cause I figured, y'know, "What the hell", I was home that week-end from college anyhow, y'know. They drive me off, and they sent a ransom note to my parents. And my father has bad reading habits, so he gets into bed at night with the ransom note, and he read half of it, y'know, and he got drowsy and fell asleep, then he lent it out, y'know." - Woody Allen

Leave a comment:

• theenormityofitall
    replied
    Originally posted by Endless Horror Tale View Post
    The only exception to the one-book-at-a-time rule that I have is this:

I can read one fiction book and one non-fiction book concurrently. Anything more than that and I just lose track. (Often the nonfiction is work-, study-, or research-related, so I'll complete the reading I needed to do for the day prior to "rewarding" myself with what I really wanted to read.)
    That's what I do lol. I can't read several novels at one time, but I can do it with non-fiction easily. The reason for that is, it's hard for me to get into something I know isn't real, while non-fiction is easier to remember because it's so interesting (at least to me).

Leave a comment:

• Endless Horror Tale
    replied
    The only exception to the one-book-at-a-time rule that I have is this:

I can read one fiction book and one non-fiction book concurrently. Anything more than that and I just lose track. (Often the nonfiction is work-, study-, or research-related, so I'll complete the reading I needed to do for the day prior to "rewarding" myself with what I really wanted to read.)

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    I can only read one book at a time. The only in-betweens would be some comics on my bedside table.

sk

Leave a comment:

• JJ Holden
    replied
    I read one at a time. If it turns out to be a really good book I'll put everything aside and read until it's done. Otherwise it's a few pages here, a few pages there.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Wow, I can only read one at a time as well. Depending on the book and if it's part of an ongoing series I'm reading it my be done in a day or so as well.

Leave a comment:

• hamount
    replied
    I usually read one at a time, and manage to read a lot faster for that particular reason. As soon as I read a book I start on another.

Leave a comment:

• theenormityofitall
    replied
    LOL I could never do that! Not just have books laying everywhere (I'd forget where I put them), but reading 13 books at a time?? My limit is about 4.
    Actually, I do have books downstairs, upstairs and in the basement as well, but in my mind I know that's just 3 places, so I can handle that...having them lay elsewhere would drive me totally nuts.. I think everyone has OCD to some point, but if I had a dozen books here and fifty there and so on, I'd end up being committed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X