Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fanatic
    replied
    I agree with Ron. I don't think you can go wrong with anything he writes.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I'm a huge Peter Heller fan as well, and have read them all. THE DOG STARS remains my favorite and I was thrilled that Lividian did a limited of it as it was immensely deserving of the honor. But he has several others that are tremendous as well; the only one I didn't really care for was CELINE, but it's very atypical of his work and themes, so that's not surprising, perhaps. In order of my preference, I'd recommend:

1). THE DOG STARS
    2). THE PAINTER
    3). THE RIVER
    4). THE LAST RANGER
    5). THE GUIDE (a sequel of sorts to THE RIVER)
    6). CELINE
    Thanks! That gives me a great place to start. Now I'll have to look these ones up and choose!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Do you have one that you especially enjoyed? Wouldn't mind reading more Heller, but he has so many and I'm not sure where the gold might be among them. Amazingly, Dog Stars was only 3 & 1/2 stars on Goodreads; so, I'm not sure that I trust their reviewers when it comes to his other books!
    I'm a huge Peter Heller fan as well, and have read them all. THE DOG STARS remains my favorite and I was thrilled that Lividian did a limited of it as it was immensely deserving of the honor. But he has several others that are tremendous as well; the only one I didn't really care for was CELINE, but it's very atypical of his work and themes, so that's not surprising, perhaps. In order of my preference, I'd recommend:

1). THE DOG STARS
    2). THE PAINTER
    3). THE RIVER
    4). THE LAST RANGER
    5). THE GUIDE (a sequel of sorts to THE RIVER)
    6). CELINE

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I'm currently reading Whalefall by Daniel Krause. I'm about halfway through it and enjoying it so far. It has an odd style where it jumps between present and past however the author has kept each chapter/section very short in order to keep the story moving forward. I'm not in love with this aspect however it's not the worst format I've read.
    I read it and generally enjoyed it, but I'm not on the bandwagon that has praised this one as being extraordinarily special. I thought it was...fine and interesting, but like you had some issues in the way it was presented.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by fanatic View Post

Glad you loved The Dog Stars, I agree with you. I think his other books (not appocoliptic) are great also. I love his style of writing.
    Do you have one that you especially enjoyed? Wouldn't mind reading more Heller, but he has so many and I'm not sure where the gold might be among them. Amazingly, Dog Stars was only 3 & 1/2 stars on Goodreads; so, I'm not sure that I trust their reviewers when it comes to his other books!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I'm currently reading Whalefall by Daniel Krause. I'm about halfway through it and enjoying it so far. It has an odd style where it jumps between present and past however the author has kept each chapter/section very short in order to keep the story moving forward. I'm not in love with this aspect however it's not the worst format I've read.
    Hope you post a review at the end. That book has been on my radar for a while as it has gotten tons of praise from authors and reviewers that I respect. That being said, it also seems like I keep finding reasons to pass on it for something else. Not sure why. The only other book that I've read by Kraus was the Romero collab "The Living Dead" which I did enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• fanatic
    replied
    Just finished reading the Lividian LE of Peter Heller's "The Dog Stars", a first-time author & read for me. Man did I love this book! I've got a soft spot for end of the world/apocalypse stories, and this one shot straight up my list of all-time favorites. The characters felt so real, whether it be their actions or dialogue. Also loved the philosophy that was mixed in as well. And I adored the ending! Would love to know what happens next but in a way, I hope the author never does a sequel. Overall, this is a five-star book for me, and I'm sure that this story will stick with me for quite a while!

Am now reading the Centipede LE of Shelley Katz's "Alligator", a first-time author & read for me.
    Glad you loved The Dog Stars, I agree with you.  I think his other books (not appocoliptic) are great also.  I love his style of writing.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Lividian LE of Peter Heller's "The Dog Stars", a first-time author & read for me. Man did I love this book! I've got a soft spot for end of the world/apocalypse stories, and this one shot straight up my list of all-time favorites. The characters felt so real, whether it be their actions or dialogue. Also loved the philosophy that was mixed in as well. And I adored the ending! Would love to know what happens next but in a way, I hope the author never does a sequel. Overall, this is a five-star book for me, and I'm sure that this story will stick with me for quite a while!

Am now reading the Centipede LE of Shelley Katz's "Alligator", a first-time author & read for me.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Just finished reading the Centipede LE of Michael McDowell's "Cold Moon Over Babylon", a first time read for me. I absolutely loved it! Everything about the book worked for me. And boy was it a lot meaner story than I was expecting! Also liked the production design by Centipede. The color scheme and artwork really worked for me. After reading this and Blackwater, I think I've been converted to a huge McDowell fan. Now if only I could track down a reasonably priced hardcover copy of The Elementals!

Am now reading the Lividian LE of Peter Heller's "The Dog Stars", a first-time author & read for me. Have heard nothing but good things about this book and feel like now is the time to get it off the TBR pile!
    THE ELEMENTALS is great.  It's got this great slow, methodical burn.  I'd say that it has a fairly nice mean streak to it as well.  I highly recommend it.  I still haven't gotten around to COLD MOON OVER BABYLON, but I'm looking forward to it when I do.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Centipede LE of Michael McDowell's "Cold Moon Over Babylon", a first time read for me. I absolutely loved it! Everything about the book worked for me. And boy was it a lot meaner story than I was expecting! Also liked the production design by Centipede. The color scheme and artwork really worked for me. After reading this and Blackwater, I think I've been converted to a huge McDowell fan. Now if only I could track down a reasonably priced hardcover copy of The Elementals!

Am now reading the Lividian LE of Peter Heller's "The Dog Stars", a first-time author & read for me. Have heard nothing but good things about this book and feel like now is the time to get it off the TBR pile!

Leave a comment:

• Boggle Champion
    replied
    Currently listening to the audiobook of Blue World by Robert McCammon, my first McCammon novel. Really enjoying it. I have a mass market paperback copy with several other stories included, so I'm gonna read those stories when the audiobook finishes.

Last book I finished was Maeve Fly, which was a letdown. I don't have to like any characters in a book to enjoy a book, but in this one I neither liked nor cared about any of em. Hard to get into a book like that. I had high hopes for this one.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Finished this up the other day and loved the hell out of it! Had a blast reading it.
    Fantastic — glad you dug CALICO as much as I did!

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied

Wonderful -- hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
    Finished this up the other day and loved the hell out of it! Had a blast reading it.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

ROVERS was quite good. If you don't want to wait until a potential signed/limited (which I agree it does deserve, especially compared against some others that have received that treatment), VJ Books has a signed 1st HC of it on sale (Bad Santa Sale) for $8.00...I've been toying with picking it up myself as the copy I read I borrowed from the library so don't have any edition on my shelf.

https://www.vjbooks.com/shop-s/2168....+lange&Submit=
    Thanks Ron!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X