Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I'm currently reading Whalefall by Daniel Krause. I'm about halfway through it and enjoying it so far. It has an odd style where it jumps between present and past however the author has kept each chapter/section very short in order to keep the story moving forward. I'm not in love with this aspect however it's not the worst format I've read.

Leave a comment:

• fanatic
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished reading the Lividian LE of Peter Heller's "The Dog Stars", a first-time author & read for me. Man did I love this book! I've got a soft spot for end of the world/apocalypse stories, and this one shot straight up my list of all-time favorites. The characters felt so real, whether it be their actions or dialogue. Also loved the philosophy that was mixed in as well. And I adored the ending! Would love to know what happens next but in a way, I hope the author never does a sequel. Overall, this is a five-star book for me, and I'm sure that this story will stick with me for quite a while!

Am now reading the Centipede LE of Shelley Katz's "Alligator", a first-time author & read for me.
    Glad you loved The Dog Stars, I agree with you.  I think his other books (not appocoliptic) are great also.  I love his style of writing.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Lividian LE of Peter Heller's "The Dog Stars", a first-time author & read for me. Man did I love this book! I've got a soft spot for end of the world/apocalypse stories, and this one shot straight up my list of all-time favorites. The characters felt so real, whether it be their actions or dialogue. Also loved the philosophy that was mixed in as well. And I adored the ending! Would love to know what happens next but in a way, I hope the author never does a sequel. Overall, this is a five-star book for me, and I'm sure that this story will stick with me for quite a while!

Am now reading the Centipede LE of Shelley Katz's "Alligator", a first-time author & read for me.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished reading the Centipede LE of Michael McDowell's "Cold Moon Over Babylon", a first time read for me. I absolutely loved it! Everything about the book worked for me. And boy was it a lot meaner story than I was expecting! Also liked the production design by Centipede. The color scheme and artwork really worked for me. After reading this and Blackwater, I think I've been converted to a huge McDowell fan. Now if only I could track down a reasonably priced hardcover copy of The Elementals!

Am now reading the Lividian LE of Peter Heller's "The Dog Stars", a first-time author & read for me. Have heard nothing but good things about this book and feel like now is the time to get it off the TBR pile!
    THE ELEMENTALS is great.  It's got this great slow, methodical burn.  I'd say that it has a fairly nice mean streak to it as well.  I highly recommend it.  I still haven't gotten around to COLD MOON OVER BABYLON, but I'm looking forward to it when I do.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Centipede LE of Michael McDowell's "Cold Moon Over Babylon", a first time read for me. I absolutely loved it! Everything about the book worked for me. And boy was it a lot meaner story than I was expecting! Also liked the production design by Centipede. The color scheme and artwork really worked for me. After reading this and Blackwater, I think I've been converted to a huge McDowell fan. Now if only I could track down a reasonably priced hardcover copy of The Elementals!

Am now reading the Lividian LE of Peter Heller's "The Dog Stars", a first-time author & read for me. Have heard nothing but good things about this book and feel like now is the time to get it off the TBR pile!

Leave a comment:

• Boggle Champion
    replied
    Currently listening to the audiobook of Blue World by Robert McCammon, my first McCammon novel. Really enjoying it. I have a mass market paperback copy with several other stories included, so I'm gonna read those stories when the audiobook finishes.

Last book I finished was Maeve Fly, which was a letdown. I don't have to like any characters in a book to enjoy a book, but in this one I neither liked nor cared about any of em. Hard to get into a book like that. I had high hopes for this one.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Finished this up the other day and loved the hell out of it! Had a blast reading it.
    Fantastic — glad you dug CALICO as much as I did!

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Wonderful -- hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
    Finished this up the other day and loved the hell out of it! Had a blast reading it.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

ROVERS was quite good. If you don't want to wait until a potential signed/limited (which I agree it does deserve, especially compared against some others that have received that treatment), VJ Books has a signed 1st HC of it on sale (Bad Santa Sale) for $8.00...I've been toying with picking it up myself as the copy I read I borrowed from the library so don't have any edition on my shelf.

https://www.vjbooks.com/shop-s/2168....+lange&Submit=
    Thanks Ron!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Suntup AGE of Mario Puzo's "The Godfather", a first time read for me. I enjoyed this one much more than I was expecting. While the book and movie are essentially the same, I loved getting a little more backstory and plot for some of the characters who came off as more minor or were portrayed slightly different in the film. For example, I was surprised by how much more I liked the character of Kay in the book than the film. She didn't seem as cold and you could better see why she made the decision to be with Michael. If I had one complaint it would that the ending seemed a bit rushed, which is kind of funny since the book is almost 600 pages. Not sure if the sequel to the book is any good, but the strenght of this one does make me consider tracking it down, as I would love to read more about the Corleone family.

Am now reading the Centipede LE of Michael McDowell's "Cold Moon Over Babylon", a first time read for me. Have only ever read McDowell's "Blackwater", but I loved it and am super excited to now be reading Cold Moon Over Babylon. Fingers crossed that it's as good!

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Reading - still have 50 pages to go in Dune. It’s taking me much longer than I expected.

Finished Vandal: Stories of Damage, an anthology of 3 novella length stories all by Australian authors - Kaaron Warren, Aaron Dries, & J. S. Breukelaar.

The stories by Warren & Breukelaar were good, but the standout by far was the story by Dries. This is the first thing I can remember reading by Dries, and he is an author I will definitely be keeping an eye out for.

Also read the first story in Mira Grant’s novella collection, Apocalypse Scenarios: These Are the Ways the World Ends. She stated in her intro that ‘Final Girls’ was her attempt at writing an 80’s horror movie. It was an entertaining enough story, though (most likely) not very memorable.

Also about 100 pages into Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. It’s an entertaining enough read, though as I’ve found with most of the classic SF novels I’ve read over the years, the story is a little underwhelming (see Dune above).

B.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I really enjoyed Suicide Motor Club. It was a fun ride and I'm pretty sure Midworld is going to put this out. I'm on board when they do. I read the Rovers by Richard Lange shortly before or after SMC, but that is another good road trip Vampire novel. I hope somebody does a special edition of it.
    ROVERS was quite good. If you don't want to wait until a potential signed/limited (which I agree it does deserve, especially compared against some others that have received that treatment), VJ Books has a signed 1st HC of it on sale (Bad Santa Sale) for $8.00...I've been toying with picking it up myself as the copy I read I borrowed from the library so don't have any edition on my shelf.

https://www.vjbooks.com/shop-s/2168....+lange&Submit=

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

You're likely remembering correctly...I wasn't wild about the author's decision to edit his previous work in the manner he did so as to 1). minimize the risk of triggering those who sensibilities are too fragile to read things in historical context, and 2). undermine the historical accuracy and attitudes of the era that he once chose to depict appropriately and honestly. That said, I did end up picking up the novel in its original trade-paperback, and generally enjoyed it -- so it is worth reading. I don't know if there was other sanitization of the text other than the deletion of the offensive term. I'll also say I hardly noticed (and certainly wasn't offended by) the very occasional use of the trigger word that either he and/or his publisher were worried about. The people who fret about editorial issues of that type are typically the ones worrying about the attitudinal minority that they themselves inhabit...the majority of us are able to reasonably put things into their proper context and place without the need of abridgement and trigger warnings. I know Beuhlman took responsibility for the editorial changes, but given the swift and rather pugnacious newsletter the publisher later sent out when simply queried by someone (not me, though Iwas passably wondering the same thing when I saw it) puzzled about the cover of THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS since the character didn't match the text and, like me, the emailer apparently didn't even know there *was* a movie made of it, I do kind of wonder if other elements were in play, but who knows. I will just say that it was disappointing to see the guy (or gal) who emailed get raked over the coals in such public (but anonymous, IIRC) fashion, and his/her query labeled as something it clearly wasn't with a kneejerk quickness.

I will say THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER is worth reading in whatever edition one chooses to enjoy...I liked it better than THE SUICIDE MOTOR CLUB, which has an awesome cover on the HC 1st (though the newest tpb reprint has a distinct fantasy bent to it, apparently now marketing it to his fantasy fans), but just didn't quite have the sustained narrative to match it. I haven't read anything else by him...now that he seems to have largely gone the way of fantasy fiction, I probably won't, unfortunately, but it's great to see a deserving author achieve a new level of success.

motor.jpg
    I really enjoyed Suicide Motor Club. It was a fun ride and I'm pretty sure Midworld is going to put this out. I'm on board when they do. I read the Rovers by Richard Lange shortly before or after SMC, but that is another good road trip Vampire novel. I hope somebody does a special edition of it.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I keep hearing praise for Beuhlman and, in particular, this book. Maybe I need to pull the trigger on it. Like another person posted on the forum (maybe RonClinton? sorry if I'm wrong on that), I was rather turned off by the decision of the author to alter one of his books for Midworld Press. I'm still hesitant to buy from Midworld for a couple reasons, but maybe I'll pull the trigger on a paperback.
    You're likely remembering correctly...I wasn't wild about the author's decision to edit his previous work in the manner he did so as to 1). minimize the risk of triggering those who sensibilities are too fragile to read things in historical context, and 2). undermine the historical accuracy and attitudes of the era that he once chose to depict appropriately and honestly. That said, I did end up picking up the novel in its original trade-paperback, and generally enjoyed it -- so it is worth reading. I don't know if there was other sanitization of the text other than the deletion of the offensive term. I'll also say I hardly noticed (and certainly wasn't offended by) the very occasional use of the trigger word that either he and/or his publisher were worried about. The people who fret about editorial issues of that type are typically the ones worrying about the attitudinal minority that they themselves inhabit...the majority of us are able to reasonably put things into their proper context and place without the need of abridgement and trigger warnings. I know Beuhlman took responsibility for the editorial changes, but given the swift and rather pugnacious newsletter the publisher later sent out when simply queried by someone (not me, though Iwas passably wondering the same thing when I saw it) puzzled about the cover of THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS since the character didn't match the text and, like me, the emailer apparently didn't even know there *was* a movie made of it, I do kind of wonder if other elements were in play, but who knows. I will just say that it was disappointing to see the guy (or gal) who emailed get raked over the coals in such public (but anonymous, IIRC) fashion, and his/her query labeled as something it clearly wasn't with a kneejerk quickness.

I will say THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER is worth reading in whatever edition one chooses to enjoy...I liked it better than THE SUICIDE MOTOR CLUB, which has an awesome cover on the HC 1st (though the newest tpb reprint has a distinct fantasy bent to it, apparently now marketing it to his fantasy fans), but just didn't quite have the sustained narrative to match it. I haven't read anything else by him...now that he seems to have largely gone the way of fantasy fiction, I probably won't, unfortunately, but it's great to see a deserving author achieve a new level of success.

motor.jpg

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I keep hearing praise for Beuhlman and, in particular, this book.  Maybe I need to pull the trigger on it.  Like another person posted on the forum (maybe RonClinton? sorry if I'm wrong on that), I was rather turned off by the decision of the author to alter one of his books for Midworld Press.  I'm still hesitant to buy from Midworld for a couple reasons, but maybe I'll pull the trigger on a paperback.
    I would highly recommend at least reading Between Two Fires as it's a special book IMO. I too was annoyed by the author's decision to edit his text on Those Across the River for Midworld and have chosen not to purchase that title from Midworld because of it; however, that didn't lessen my enjoyment for any of his other Midworld books whatsoever. Also, I can confirm that Midworld's Beuhlman books do not have any of the prior issues that some of Midworld's earlier titles encountered. 

Leave a comment:

Working...
X