What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pennywise View Post
    I am currently reading Alice in Wonderland for the first time and must say that it is more of a children's book than I had thought it would be. I knew it was aimed at children, but thought it would be more appealing to grown ups as well. I've only just started, though.
    Do yourself a favor and find a copy of Martin Gardner's "Annotated Alice". Great insights to the origins, meanings, and Victorian references that today's audiences would never understand. Yes Wonderland and Looking-Glass were written for kids (specifically young Alice Liddell) but there's a lot more going on. I didn't read the Alice books until I was an adult, and with the annotations, and they are still among my alltime favorites.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Back when I purchased AiW, that book by Martin Gardner was one of the versions that I had my eye on. Finally I decided to get a different one. One of the reasons for that is that the only version of Martin Gardner's book that I found was a paperback, which sort of has become a curse word for me ever since I found Cemetery Dance and the joy of beautiful books.

I'll read the non-annotated version first and then get the annotated one at a later stage.

Comment

I got a reissue in hardback about 10 years ago, and it's still available on amazon, at least on this side of the pond. It's listed as "The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition". I'm only making the sales pitch here, 'cause I think it's one of the books everyone should own.
        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I am currently reading Alice in Wonderland for the first time and must say that it is more of a children's book than I had thought it would be. I knew it was aimed at children, but thought it would be more appealing to grown ups as well.
          I had exactly the opposite feeling when I read Alice - quite a few years ago. I loved it, and though it was much less of a children's book that I thought it would be.
          Must be the child in me...

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
            I had exactly the opposite feeling when I read Alice - quite a few years ago. I loved it, and though it was much less of a children's book that I thought it would be.
            Must be the child in me...

sk
            LOL are you guys serious when you say you've read and some have said they aready did read Alice in Wonderland? I don't mean that in a bad way as it sounds, I just thought it was a lil kid's book. Maybe I should try it myself.
            No body get mad at me for this post please.

Comment

I've read it several times (including Through the Looking Glass). The last time was about 10 years ago. I'll probably get to it again at some point.
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Haven't read Alice yet, but do own the PB of it that has Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Will have to actually read it sometime
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                  LOL are you guys serious when you say you've read and some have said they aready did read Alice in Wonderland? I don't mean that in a bad way as it sounds, I just thought it was a lil kid's book. Maybe I should try it myself.
                  No body get mad at me for this post please.
                  An understandable post. It is after all a children's book. The reason why I decided to read it is because it is such an iconic landmark of modern literature (or is that giving it too much credit...?) and has been a big influence on many people. White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane is the first example of being influenced by AiW that springs to mind.

I'm also thinking of reading The Wizard of Oz. Is that also recommended reading?

Comment

Absolutely!!! Just because something is classified as a "children's" book, doesn't mean that you shouldn't give it a try as an adult!
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

An understandable post. It is after all a children's book. The reason why I decided to read it is because it is such an iconic landmark of modern literature (or is that giving it too much credit...?) and has been a big influence on many people. White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane is the first example of being influenced by AiW that springs to mind.

I'm also thinking of reading The Wizard of Oz. Is that also recommended reading?
                      I'm actually reading Wizard of Oz for the first time now. Actually, I'm having my 5 year old read it to me. We read the comics adaptation that Marvel did a couple years ago, and when I told him I had the book (an annotated version by the same company that re-released The Annotated Alice) he wanted to try that. He's doing great, and I am one darn proud papa.

As far as Alice is concerned, yes it's a children's book, but written in a time when children were a bit more sophisticated. Carroll was primarily a mathematician and he loved puzzles and games - verbal and spatial. One reason I love Martin Gardner's annotated version and he points all the stuff out that you'd normally just read right over. There is some remarkable depth there, especially in Through the Looking Glass where the action of the book does work as an actual chess game.

Thinking of some of these classics as only "Children's Books" sounds almost like they're being classified with Barney or The Smurfs. Alice is more like the better Pixar movies or "The Iron Giant", entertaining for the little ones, but sophisticated enough for the adults, too.

Comment

I was reading Ex Patriots by Peter Clines, King Blood by Simon Clark, and Multiplex Fandango by Weston Ochse until I received my copy of 11/22/63....

P.S. All three books I put to the side were excellent so far.
                        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Well, I play quite a lot of chess so I'm certainly looking forward to reading Through The Looking Glass.

Comment

I read King Blood a short while ago and it was a lot of fun. Mr. Clark surely likes to describe his sex scenes :-)

Comment

Oh, definitely. A great story always is worth reading, regardless its intended audience. Oz comes highly recommended, as does the complete series:

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
                              The Marvelous Land of Oz
                              Ozma of Oz
                              Dorthy and the Wizard in Oz
                              The Road to Oz
                              The Emerald City of Oz
                              The Patchwork Girl of Oz
                              Tik-Tok of Oz
                              The Scarecrow of Oz
                              Rinkitink in Oz
                              The Lost Princess of Oz
                              The Tin Woodman of Oz
                              The Magic of Oz
                              Glinda of Oz

Then there are, for instance, the wonderful Roald Dahl (so called) children's books - and don't forget The Hobbit.

sk

Comment

Dahl is a children's author who hates children! His "Charlie" books are particulary nasty towards them! Go figure.....
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X