What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Same on that Fracassi book. Hovering around $300 on the aftermarket, which is just too much for me. Same goes for when I passed on Goblin by Malerman that one year. I am on the list for the lettered but I doubt I'm high enough on there to actually get one and the limited is too much on the aftermarket at this point.
    If you're talking about the Earthling edition of Goblin, I have a copy and I'm willing to sell it. I'm not sure what a fair price is (eBay is stupid high with the CD auction, or stupid low for the private seller). Make me an offer. It's in unread like-new condition. I added a Brodart and then shelved it.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Didn't really like WE SOLD OUR SOULS much because 1). not really a fan of the rock-music-and-horror-fiction shtick, and 2). Hendrix took it far too seriously...the whimsy, humor, and casual tone that make his other works so digestible was largely absent in SOLD.
      I loved it. and I think the darker tone was part of the reason why. I'm also not a fan of Rock-themed Horror novels, but I thought Hendrix pulled it off better than most usually do.

I enjoy Hendrix so much that I'm sitting on a few of his books so I can enjoy them down the road after I've read a few duds and need a surefire winner, lol.
      Last edited by dannyboy121070; 04-18-2023, 12:49 AM.
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
        I’m a third of the way through Imajica by Clive Barker (275 pages). Been reading it for the last week.

Don’t really have an opinion at this point, as the story tends to run hot and cold for me, though I do have this niggling feeling in the back of my head that I wish Barker would get on with it.

B
        I had this same feeling reading the Suntup version last year. It wasn't until around half-way through that the book really clicked for me and I could grasp what the heck was going on and where the story was heading. Once that happened, the book really took on a new life. Hope the same happens for you as this ended up being a great read for me.

Comment

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Phillip Fracassi's "Behold the Void". This was my first Fracassi read, and HOLY CRAP, what a fantastic collection of stories! Totally lived-up to the hype. Not a weak sister in the bunch. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be "Alter". Haven't been able to get that one out of my head since reading it. Definitely will be on my all-time favorite short stories list. "Surfer Girl" and "Madala" also really stood out for me as well. Overall, IMO, this is an A+ collection of stories. Really glad that I opted to pick-up the Fracassi set from Thunderstorm and hope they can release more of his stuff in the future!

Comment

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Phillip Fracassi's "Beneath A Pale Sky". Sweet Jesus what a collection of stories! I read Fracassi's "Behold the Void" just prior to this and thought that there was no way he could top it. Boy was I wrong! Every story in Beneath A Pale Sky was fantastic, and a few absolutely destroyed me. My top three in this collection were Fragile Dreams, Symphony, & The Wheel. I haven't been able to stop thinking about all three of those stories. Overall, this was an A+ read for me. "Behold the Void" & "Beneath A Pale Sky" have converted this reader into a Fracassi fanatic who is jonesing for the next collection!

Comment

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Joe & Kasey Lansdale's "Dark Kin". Really enjoyed it, as I do all of the Lansdale's stuff. My favorites in the collection were "Tremble", a sweet little riff on Sk's Carrie, and the new one "Sea Legs", perhaps the start (hopefully) of a new series featuring a merwoman detective! In terms on the production, as always, Thunderstorm knocked it out of the park. Really love the covert-art & overall color-scheme on this one. I do wish Paul had left the title off of the spine like the rest of the BV series, but it's not the end of the world. it just sticks out when you have it among the other BV titles. Overall, am very glad to add this to my Lansdale & Thunderstorm collections and would give the book a B-.

Comment

A Clive Barker book was mentioned above, and that has me thinking...there are two I was thinking of looking into, but I am not certain whether I should or not (not his biggest fan, but I did enjoy the Books of Blood). Any insight on The Damnation Game and The Great and Secret Show?

As for what I am currently reading, well...it isn't horror or science fiction, but I will mention it anyway for those who may be interested: Unscripted, a book about the late Viacom chief Sumner Redstone. Pretty engaging, as many of these kinds of nonfiction books are...

Comment

THE WAGER by David Grann. Good stuff.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

THE WAGER by David Grann. Good stuff.
                    Now THE STRANGE by Nathan Ballingrud.

Comment

Now THE STRANGE by Nathan Ballingrud.
                      Would love to hear you review for this when done. Keep hearing great things about it and have been close to picking it up; however, something has held me back.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Would love to hear you review for this when done. Keep hearing great things about it and have been close to picking it up; however, something has held me back.
                        Will do. I haven't made too much progress yet, but hope to have this one polished off in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Wondering if this is the new Midworld title announcement coming this week?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuggers View Post

Wondering if this is the new Midworld title announcement coming this week?
                            Sorry to repeat what Ron said in his Midworld post!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuggers View Post

Sorry to repeat what Ron said in his Midworld post!
                              No sweat, I think we’re both right. If it’s not THE STRANGE, I’ll be very surprised…I wouldn’t think they’d do one of his collections, as acclaimed as they are, at least based on their novel-heavy lineup.

Comment

No sweat, I think we’re both right. If it’s not THE STRANGE, I’ll be very surprised…I wouldn’t think they’d do one of his collections, as acclaimed as they are, at least based on their novel-heavy lineup.
                                Unless they somehow made a deal for his newly announced Crypt of the Moon Spider....

Comment

Working...
                                X