What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished reading the SubPress LE of "Day Zero" by C. Robert Cargill. Have been looking forward to this one for quite a while as I really enjoyed Cargill's previous book, "Sea of Rust". Am happy to report that as much as I loved Sea of Rust, Day Zero was even better. I could not put this one down! The characterization and setting were top-notch. I really felt bonded to all of the characters. Cargill writes children especially well. This was one of the few books that I can recall that really nails how a child would think and feel in the situations the book explores. Also really enjoyed the philosophical questions posed by some of the choices/actions the characters were forced to make. This book absolutely had me in my feelings pretty much the whole way through which is rare for me. Overall, I can't recommend this book enough and am very happy to have added the LE to my collection. Hope Cargill decides to visit this world again in the future
    That's great to hear, as it will either be my next read or the one after...I also thought SEA OF RUST was terrific. The wait for this one was longer than usual Sub Press standards, so I'm excited to finally have it (and pleased at my willpower of not reading the trade HC while waiting) and can't wait to break it open.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Finished The Omen by David Seltzer, which was a blast. It’s probably been 40 years since I’ve sat down and watched The Omen. Now I really want to see the movie again.

Right now I’m half way through 13 Haunted Houses edited by Joe Morey & Curtis Lawson from Weird House Press. So far I’d say it makes a pretty good Halloween read, as the good stories out number the not so good.

B

Comment

I finally broke out my copy of Ray Garton's IN A DARK PLACE, which I've been sitting on for over two decades. I had to move heaven and earth to find a copy back in the day, and it cost a pretty penny. Perfect time to finally dig in! Ray gave me an earful years ago about how the whole haunting was made up, and what hucksters the Warrens were, but, 25 pages in, Ray is doing a masterful job of creating a creepy atmosphere.

I grabbed Brian Keene's BLOOD ON THE PAGE collection for .99 a few weeks back, and I'm enjoying it despite having read many of the stories already. I love the voice he writes in. Literary comfort food.

I'm about halfway through the new Christopher Golden/Tim Lebbon collaboration FESTIVAL, which is a decent read. I'm not a huge fan of either author, but the thought of an illustrated hardcover Horror novella appealed to me when it came out last week. It's a nice little package.
        http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just finished Stephen King's Faerie Tale. I pretty much adored it. While I haven't been as down on his newer releases as others, this does feel like a return to form, even to me. IMO, this is everything Eyes of the Dragon should have been. Feel like the years have allowed him to write a much stronger fantasy story this time around. Also love all of the twinning in this book, both with his own and others' stories. Overall, this book rocked and is very recommended!

Comment

I decided to read The Dark Tower series from beginning to end. I started with The Little Sisters of Eluria and the revised Gunslinger, and am now 2/3rds of the way through book IV, Wizard and Glass. Next up is The Wind through the Keyhole.

I'm enjoying these more as a straight-thru read than when I waited for the next book in the series to come out and read them piecemeal. I started the first book on Sunday, and haven't read anything else but these since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
              I decided to read The Dark Tower series from beginning to end. I started with The Little Sisters of Eluria and the revised Gunslinger, and am now 2/3rds of the way through book IV, Wizard and Glass. Next up is The Wind through the Keyhole.

I'm enjoying these more as a straight-thru read than when I waited for the next book in the series to come out and read them piecemeal. I started the first book on Sunday, and haven't read anything else but these since then.
              I finally got around to reading THE GUNSLINGER a few years back and just couldn’t get into it. I’ve heard the series picks up quite a bit, but I’ve been hesitant to dive back in. Posts like yours get me thinking I should try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I finally got around to reading THE GUNSLINGER a few years back and just couldn’t get into it. I’ve heard the series picks up quite a bit, but I’ve been hesitant to dive back in. Posts like yours get me thinking I should try again.
                Try the revised version this time around. I have the Grant edition of The Little Sisters of Eluria from 2009, and it has the novella + the revised Gunslinger.

SK has said that The Gunslinger is a slog, but it's short, and the next book is definitely better. I found it an easy read, but I know some people have trouble with it.

Comment

One of my favorite books. Enjoyed every moment of it.

Sorry this didn't click with you. I think it's a fantastic start to my favorite journey.

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                    One of my favorite books. Enjoyed every moment of it.

Sorry this didn't click with you. I think it's a fantastic start to my favorite journey.

It’s weird how that works, right? How you can love something and yet it fails to connect with others? I’m clearly in the minority on this one and realize the fault likely rests on my shoulders more than King’s.

Comment

About 200 pages into My Lady of Plagues by Elana Gomel and for the most part enjoying it a lot.

Tone and subject matter very similar to Angela Slatter.

B

Comment

It’s weird how that works, right? How you can love something and yet it fails to connect with others? I’m clearly in the minority on this one and realize the fault likely rests on my shoulders more than King’s.
                        The Gunslinger and Wizard & Glass are my favorite DT books.

In general I enjoyed the first four books, but the last three ruined the DT story for me.

They just felt rushed and very haphazardly put together.

I also enjoyed The Wind Through the Keyhole and Little Sisters of Eluria.

B

Comment

The Gunslinger can be hard to get through. One of the hosts on an SK podcast that I usually listen to says if The Gunslinger is hard, skip it and read The Drawing of the Three. If it's still not for you, but then you tried. You can always go back and read The Gunslinger.

I tried to get my wife into The Dark Tower, and she tried. She got through the first two books but has no desire to read the rest. I for one don't understand how she couldn't enjoy tDotT but to each their own.

I really want to re-read the whole series, but it seems silly to read things I've read before when I have hundreds of books I haven't read.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                            After slogging through the second From a Certain Point of View Star Wars book - Empire - I stared reading Red Moon from Kim Stanely Robinson.

First time reading anything from KSR and I'm not sure what to think yet. Not a fast read by any means, but at least I'm not bored like I was with the above Star Wars book.
                            Finished Red Moon and I have no desire to ever revisit this book (and kind of regret buying a signed 1/1 of this awhile back.) Just so boring.

Not sure if all of KSR's stuff is like this - hope not since I bought a signed edition of his new book The High Sierra since it's non-fiction and about where I used to live for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                              Just finished reading the SubPress LE of "Day Zero" by C. Robert Cargill. Have been looking forward to this one for quite a while as I really enjoyed Cargill's previous book, "Sea of Rust". Am happy to report that as much as I loved Sea of Rust, Day Zero was even better. I could not put this one down! The characterization and setting were top-notch. I really felt bonded to all of the characters. Cargill writes children especially well. This was one of the few books that I can recall that really nails how a child would think and feel in the situations the book explores. Also really enjoyed the philosophical questions posed by some of the choices/actions the characters were forced to make. This book absolutely had me in my feelings pretty much the whole way through which is rare for me. Overall, I can't recommend this book enough and am very happy to have added the LE to my collection. Hope Cargill decides to visit this world again in the future
                              I haven't read these - I own them. Maybe they'll be next? That reminds me - my SubPress edition from Camelot came in - I need to pay that.

Comment

Just finished Kristopher Rufty's "The Skin Show". Have recently started to collect Thunderstorm titles and was able to pick this one up at a decent price on the aftermarket. Have never read anything by this author before and wasn't sure what to expect. Felt a little bit like Richard Laymon mixed with some Ed Lee. Lots of extreme violence & sex. Also had some cool creatures in it. While the story did have some flaws, I found it to be an enjoyable read overall, especially if you're into Extreme Horror/Splatter. I would probably rate this one a solid C+. Hopefully, I can read something else by this author soon. Did notice that he has bunch of other Thunderstorm Black Voltage titles. Hopefully, I can track them down at a decent price...

Comment

Working...
                                X