What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    Keep us posted on HEAT 2. HEAT is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I'm curious about the book. Although I do have to admit that, as big a fan as I am, I have never been the least bit curious about the lives of any of the characters before or after the events of the movie.

And where did you score a signed copy? I'd love to get one myself!
    Mysterious Bookshop had a limited quantity of copies signed by Mann, done exclusively for them, I believe, as a favor to Otto Penzler, the owner. Sold out pretty fast.

Heat is one of my favorite films as well, very curious to see where this book goes. I’ll be sure to report back on it.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Just finished THE NORTH WATER by Ian McGuire. It can be rough reading for some people.
      I enjoyed it very much. At points it gives off a vibe like "The Terror" by Dan Simmons. There is some violence, although that is not its selling point, and the implication of self prostitution by a minor, but in context it doesn't seem all that shocking. A well told story.
      Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
      Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Just finished reading "Pines" by Blake Crouch. Picked-up the LE from Gauntlet/Borderlands a while back and finally decided to give it a go. In terms of the book itself, this is probably one of the more underwhelming limited editions that I own. The cover-art seems like your basic stock-art picture. Nothing really special about the paper quality, and there was no art in the book. About the only thing that makes it a limited edition, IMO, is the author signature-sheet and the lower print-run for this version. In terms of the story itself, I was blown away. This was my first read of a Blake Crouch book and definitely won't be my last if this one is anything to go by. "Pines" was such a propulsive read, almost impossible to put down. Really enjoyed the creep factor of Wayward Pines and its inhabitants. Also really enjoyed the mystery element of the story which kept me guessing right up until the end. Can't wait to read the sequel, "Wayward", once it is released by Gauntlet/Borderlands end of year to see what happens next. My only complaint going forward would be that I wish these editions were a bit more lavish as I think these will be stories that truly deserve that sort of treatment!

On a side note- Apparently this series was turned into a television series. Didn't know that and have no idea if it was any good. May have to check it out if the sequel books live up to my expectations.

Comment

Came back to this story for more punishment. It is not the worst thing ever but I'm back to maybe shelving it. We are now unto some not so subtle social-polotical commentary, which are jabs, and a very long and boring action sequence that lacked any type of character connection.

Authors please take note and if you have political commentary please keep it subtle so you don't alienate some of your readers. I do not like reading this stuff while I'm trying to enjoy a fictional story.

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          I will plug away a little bit more and see what develops. The main issue is the descriptive way he writes each scene/sequence. It's like reading a manual.

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
            Just finished reading "Pines" by Blake Crouch. Picked-up the LE from Gauntlet/Borderlands a while back and finally decided to give it a go. In terms of the book itself, this is probably one of the more underwhelming limited editions that I own. The cover-art seems like your basic stock-art picture. Nothing really special about the paper quality, and there was no art in the book. About the only thing that makes it a limited edition, IMO, is the author signature-sheet and the lower print-run for this version. In terms of the story itself, I was blown away. This was my first read of a Blake Crouch book and definitely won't be my last if this one is anything to go by. "Pines" was such a propulsive read, almost impossible to put down. Really enjoyed the creep factor of Wayward Pines and its inhabitants. Also really enjoyed the mystery element of the story which kept me guessing right up until the end. Can't wait to read the sequel, "Wayward", once it is released by Gauntlet/Borderlands end of year to see what happens next. My only complaint going forward would be that I wish these editions were a bit more lavish as I think these will be stories that truly deserve that sort of treatment!

On a side note- Apparently this series was turned into a television series. Didn't know that and have no idea if it was any good. May have to check it out if the sequel books live up to my expectations.
            Could not agree more with all of the above. I *loved* the PINES trilogy, it made me an immediate Blake Crouch fan and I've since read most of his body of work, and really enjoyed most of it. As much as I love the PINES trilogy, though, I couldn't abide by the production values of the Gauntlet trio, so took a pass, hoping instead that SST -- who have been made aware that the UK limited rights still exist, apparently -- will end up doing at some point down the road. It pains me that one of my favorite trilogies of all time received such an unimpressive limited treatment, but it is what it is, and I had to make the difficult choice.

As you move on with the trilogy, you'll find the first is kind of an alternative sci-fi book, the second a mystery thriller, and the third a violent adventure...each one has a different flavor, and which one is your favorite depends on what kind of story you prefer. I enjoyed them all a great deal, but the first was probably my favorite of the three.

I did watch the limited TV series, and while it was surprisingly good, it lacked the compulsive flair of the book. Once again, "the book was better," but it's definitely worth a watch if it's convenient to track down.
            Last edited by RonClinton; 09-16-2022, 01:20 AM.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
              Finished up Swedish Cults by Anders Fager, a collection of Lovecraft inspired stories set in Sweden and Norway, which I liked a lot.

Currently about a third of the way through The Possession by Michael Rutger, and also enjoying this one very much.

B
              Finished The Possession. Unfortunately the second half didn’t maintain the momentum of the first half. A lot of action, but too much mind fuckery for my taste.

About 200 pages into The Children of Gla’aki, another lack luster Lovecraft (Campbell) anthology.

B

Comment

Survivor Song was my first Tremblay book. I did not care for the messaging.

I just emailed DRP to see what their policy is on cancelling the pre-order for Cabin.

I am part of the problem as defined by this author.

Came back to this story for more punishment. It is not the worst thing ever but I'm back to maybe shelving it. We are now unto some not so subtle social-polotical commentary, which are jabs, and a very long and boring action sequence that lacked any type of character connection.

Authors please take note and if you have political commentary please keep it subtle so you don't alienate some of your readers. I do not like reading this stuff while I'm trying to enjoy a fictional story.

Comment

150 pages into HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt.

Not what I was expecting.

At this point in the story I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

Read on.

B

Comment

As an FYI DRP promptly cancelled my order for Cabin with no hassle.

Survivor Song was my first Tremblay book. I did not care for the messaging.

I just emailed DRP to see what their policy is on cancelling the pre-order for Cabin.

I am part of the problem as defined by this author.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Could not agree more with all of the above. I *loved* the PINES trilogy, it made me an immediate Blake Crouch fan and I've since read most of his body of work, and really enjoyed most of it. As much as I love the PINES trilogy, though, I couldn't abide by the production values of the Gauntlet trio, so took a pass, hoping instead that SST -- who have been made aware that the UK limited rights still exist, apparently -- will end up doing at some point down the road. It pains me that one of my favorite trilogies of all time received such an unimpressive limited treatment, but it is what it is, and I had to make the difficult choice.

As you move on with the trilogy, you'll find the first is kind of an alternative sci-fi book, the second a mystery thriller, and the third a violent adventure...each one has a different flavor, and which one is your favorite depends on what kind of story you prefer. I enjoyed them all a great deal, but the first was probably my favorite of the three.

I did watch the limited TV series, and while it was surprisingly good, it lacked the compulsive flair of the book. Once again, "the book was better," but it's definitely worth a watch if it's convenient to track down.
                      I've been wanting to read the PINES trilogy for a long time and was initially excited by the announcement from Gauntlet and then dismayed when I saw the cover art. If the only option is this type of art, I'd have just rather not have a dustjacket at all. I would LOVE if SST did the trilogy. They are truly killing it and their low price points are much appreciated.

Comment

Just finished reading "Ravenous" by Ray Garton. Picked-up the LE from Gauntlet/Borderlands a while back at the same time that I purchased "Pines" by Crouch. Finally decided to give Ravenous a shot. Much like Crouch's "Pines", this is probably one of the more underwhelming limited editions that I own. The cover-art still seems like your basic stock-art picture. Nothing really special about the paper quality, and no art in the book. The only thing that makes it a limited edition, IMO, is the author signature-sheet and the lower print-run for this version. In terms of the story itself, I was blown away. This is one of the best Werewolf stories that I have read. Lots of fantastic horror scenes as well as a cast of characters that you really care about including a few that you really come to hate and want to get their comeuppance. There are no punches pulled in this book! The pacing was fantastic as well. I've been a big fan of Garton's work in the past, and this ranks in his top-five IMO. This one was also free of any misspellings or formatting issues, which was a nice surprise considering some of the recent Gauntlet/Borderlands releases. Overall, while I wish the production would have been more lavish or that another publisher would have given it the LE treatment, I am still very happy to have a LE hardcover of this book and look forward to the sequel that will be published later this year!

Comment

Every year, I feel bad that I didn't do enough Halloween reading, so I'm starting early this year. Currently reading:

Harrow County Omnibus Two
                          Why Not You and I? by Karl Edward Wagner
                          The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror Ominous Omnibus, Vol. 1: Scary Tales and Scarier Tentacles
                          Tiny Nightmares: Very Short Stories of Horror
                          Screams From the Dark: 29 Tales of Monsters and the Monstrous

Also trying to squeeze in as much scary TV and movies as I can. If only I could afford to take the Halloween season off from work.....
                          http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                            Just finished reading "Ravenous" by Ray Garton. Picked-up the LE from Gauntlet/Borderlands a while back at the same time that I purchased "Pines" by Crouch. Finally decided to give Ravenous a shot. Much like Crouch's "Pines", this is probably one of the more underwhelming limited editions that I own. The cover-art still seems like your basic stock-art picture. Nothing really special about the paper quality, and no art in the book. The only thing that makes it a limited edition, IMO, is the author signature-sheet and the lower print-run for this version. In terms of the story itself, I was blown away. This is one of the best Werewolf stories that I have read. Lots of fantastic horror scenes as well as a cast of characters that you really care about including a few that you really come to hate and want to get their comeuppance. There are no punches pulled in this book! The pacing was fantastic as well. I've been a big fan of Garton's work in the past, and this ranks in his top-five IMO. This one was also free of any misspellings or formatting issues, which was a nice surprise considering some of the recent Gauntlet/Borderlands releases. Overall, while I wish the production would have been more lavish or that another publisher would have given it the LE treatment, I am still very happy to have a LE hardcover of this book and look forward to the sequel that will be published later this year!
                            I think I have that book as well - and you're spot on with the quality of what Gauntlet and Borderlands produces. It may have been something back in the day, but now it's barely better than the Barnes and Noble signed editions (and even then, B&N will beat them with an exclusive cover, or content, or something similar.)

Which reminds me - maybe I should give this a read one of these days.

Comment

After slogging through the second From a Certain Point of View Star Wars book - Empire - I stared reading Red Moon from Kim Stanely Robinson.

First time reading anything from KSR and I'm not sure what to think yet. Not a fast read by any means, but at least I'm not bored like I was with the above Star Wars book.

Comment

Just finished reading the SubPress LE of "Day Zero" by C. Robert Cargill. Have been looking forward to this one for quite a while as I really enjoyed Cargill's previous book, "Sea of Rust". Am happy to report that as much as I loved Sea of Rust, Day Zero was even better. I could not put this one down! The characterization and setting were top-notch. I really felt bonded to all of the characters. Cargill writes children especially well. This was one of the few books that I can recall that really nails how a child would think and feel in the situations the book explores. Also really enjoyed the philosophical questions posed by some of the choices/actions the characters were forced to make. This book absolutely had me in my feelings pretty much the whole way through which is rare for me. Overall, I can't recommend this book enough and am very happy to have added the LE to my collection. Hope Cargill decides to visit this world again in the future

Comment

Working...
                                X