Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uh oh...uh oh...<drop, tuck & roll>
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Here are some of my favorite books
      Jack Ketchum The girl next door -one of the most intense books ever!!!
      Dan Simmons The terror Great book to spend time with during the winter
      Richard Lymon The traveling vampire show and Savage
      Ray Bradbury Something wicked this way comes
      F Paul Wilson The Tomb
      Bently Little The collection and The Store
      Neil Gaiman American Gods
      Brian Keene Ghoul
      Just some of my favorite books. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
        Ok, thanks a lot. I'm saving this list. Any other guys have a list for me?
        Here ya go mate (although taking King out of the equation made it a little difficult)

(01) Dean R Koontz ............. Lightning
        (02) Glenn Cooper ............... Library of the Dead, Book of Souls & The Tenth Chamber (yeah, I know, that's three, but they're kind of connected)
        (03) Clive Cussler ................ Raise the Titanic
        (04) Michael Korda .............. The Immortals
        (05) Wilbur Smith ................ River God, The 7th Scroll, Warlock & The Quest (same criteria as 2 )
        (06) Jean M Auel ................. The entire Earth Children series;
        (07) Jeffrey Archer .............. Kane & Abel;
        (08) Bryce Courtney ............ The Power of One;
        (09) Jim Gavin .................... Hard Boiled Vampire Killers
        (10) Ray Garton .................. Live Girls.

Comment

A re-read.
          Time to catch up on my McCammons. I'm sure I won't be bored!

sk

Comment

Top ten books. Bloody hell, that's a tricky one.

Not in any particular order (and will change I'm sure)-
            Cliver Barker - The Great & Secret Show
            Raymond E Feist - Magician
            Tim Powers - Anubis Gates
            Eris S Nylund - Pawns Dream
            Christopher Fowler - Spanky
            Michael Marshall Smith - Spares
            Mike Carey - Vicious Circle
            Mark Morris - Secret Of Anatomy
            Christopher Brookmyre - A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away
            Iain Banks - The Crow Road
            http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

Comment

Just finished Apeshit by Carlton Mellick 3. Very, very sick. I loved it.

The Five up next for me.
              http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

Comment

my top 10 don't include many horror books

1) Lolita by Vladamir Nabokov
                2) Moby Dick by Heman Melville
                3) Mother London by Michael Moorcock
                4) Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
                5) Ghost Story by Peter Straub
                6) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
                7) King book you don't want mentioned
                8) The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
                9) Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
                10) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Anything by Lovecraft is good, too.
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Am now reading Burke's The Hides along with Little's The Policy
                  WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                  Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                    Girl on the Glider - Brian Keene (Probably the most personal book he has written)
                    A View From the Lake - Greg F. Gifune
                    The Painted Darkness - Brian James Freeman
                    The Turtle Boy - Kealan Patrick Burke
                    Invisible Fences - Norman Prentiss
                    The Road - Cormac McCarthy (This isn't horror, but is a great read once you get used to the way it is written)
                    Dark Harvest - Norman Partridge
                    The Passage - Justin Cronin (had a couple issues with this one that keep me from rating this a 5/5 on Goodreads, but otherwise a great read)
                    The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (Not horror)

Tried keeping those to somewhat shorter works, though The Passage is quite long.

Some non-fiction I have read and enjoyed quite a bit would include:

Band of Brothers - Stephen E Ambrose
                    Killing Pablo - Mark Bowden
                    "I" The Creation of a Serial Killer - Jack Olsen (Read this entire book in one day)

One non-fiction that would have been better if it wasn't so damn repetitive was The BTK Murders by Carlton Smith. Just seemed like he repeated things way too much in order to increase the page count (which could have been a publisher decision).
                    Thank you!! I need all the help I can get since I'm tired of trying to read novels and being interested in the first 10 pages or so, then just getting bored. As I've said on here, it's rare for me to finish a novel, even a short one but the classics from guys like Dickens, Poe (especially Poe), Lovecraft, James and even Mailer, I've read with no problem but it was years ago before I had so many other things on my mind and it became harder for me to concentrate on what I was reading. I even bought Great Expectations as an audiobook on my Sansa Clip, and still haven't tried to listen to it and that was 2 years ago lol.
                    But Killing Pablo I bet I'd really like just as any book by Olsen. I read his book about that guy named Arthur (his first name; can't remember the last...Shawcross or something like that?), and thought it was fantastic. But a lot of thouse authors you named for the fiction works, I never heard of like most of the others here who gave me their lists. I rather hate change so I tend to stick with authors I've known about since the 80's....Garton, Ketchum, Lansdale, King, Simmons, Koontz, etc. In other words, guys who have been around a long time. But I saved your list like with all the others I'm going to do and thanks again.
                    God, I can really just ramble on and on sometimes, huh? LOL, seriously though, it's the pills. I have to take a narcotic painkiller for a couple herniated discs in my neck and they make me "type-happy" sometimes. I felt I had to mention that to explain why I go on and on sometimes .

Comment

May I have some - pleeeezee

happy pills.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                        Here are some of my favorite books
                        Jack Ketchum The girl next door -one of the most intense books ever!!!
                        Dan Simmons The terror Great book to spend time with during the winter
                        Richard Lymon The traveling vampire show and Savage
                        Ray Bradbury Something wicked this way comes
                        F Paul Wilson The Tomb
                        Bently Little The collection and The Store
                        Neil Gaiman American Gods
                        Brian Keene Ghoul
                        Just some of my favorite books. Hope this helps
                        Thanks! It does help...anything other guys think are good, chances are I'll feel the same (I hope). I have Ketchum's The Girl Next Door as a signed trade PB and also The Terror by Simmons but still haven't read the Ketchum book so maybe that's next on my list. I'm so picky about signed books though, that I'll probably end up buying a non-signed PB to read and not the signed one, even though I know it probably won't increase much in value. BTW, anyone here know why so many people hate Ketchum's short stories? I don't think they're that bad but some really do suck, but so do some of King's. And why is it that limited editions of short stories never seem to go up in value?? I should already know all this stuff since I've collected books since 1987, but in the mid 90's I guess, I lost virtually all interest in book collecting and went onto other stuff. Bnd this evil God-forsaken forum and this forum alone, is responsible for making me very interested again in book collecting and spending literally thousands of dollars on books. I'm even worried about my signed trade of Full Dark, No Stars...they're novellas but they're all very good except that one about the devil which isn't exactly what I'd call original. I assume though, because it's King, it will increase in value. Let us pray.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
                          May I have some - pleeeezee

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1427[/ATTACH]
                          lol that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
                            Here ya go mate (although taking King out of the equation made it a little difficult)

(01) Dean R Koontz ............. Lightning
                            (02) Glenn Cooper ............... Library of the Dead, Book of Souls & The Tenth Chamber (yeah, I know, that's three, but they're kind of connected)
                            (03) Clive Cussler ................ Raise the Titanic
                            (04) Michael Korda .............. The Immortals
                            (05) Wilbur Smith ................ River God, The 7th Scroll, Warlock & The Quest (same criteria as 2 )
                            (06) Jean M Auel ................. The entire Earth Children series;
                            (07) Jeffrey Archer .............. Kane & Abel;
                            (08) Bryce Courtney ............ The Power of One;
                            (09) Jim Gavin .................... Hard Boiled Vampire Killers
                            (10) Ray Garton .................. Live Girls.
                            Good God so many people responded to my request! Thanks guys. I've saved everything to my lil notepad on this laptop, but now the trick is to remember I did so.
                            Lightning by Koontz...now isn't that the one with the two teen boys in it? If it is, it was defintely my favorite Koontz book and I'd like to read it again. I wanted to start the Frankenstein stuff by him but I'm running out of money even for paperbacks. I wonder if these are available for the Nook? I never thought I'd really get into an e-reader, but it's very cool to be able to d/l stuff from Barnes and Noble from your bedroom via wifi. Still, there's nothing like holding an actual physical book. What's best though about the Nook is how you can literally put hundreds of books on it. If I had about 2 grand, I'd throw away all my non-fiction stuff and try to get most of it on my Nook. All 4 bedrooms in this house of mine are full of damn books.
                            Once again, I'm off topic. Live Girls? I don't know if I bought that or not by Garton. I know I have Lot Lizards, Methods of Madness, The New Neighbor and some I bought from CD either from the Signature Series or the Novalla "Series" or whatever they're called. It'd take me a few days to look to see if I have it so I'll probably just get the PB when I can afford a couple bucks lol. But thanks again Grant!

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post

A re-read.
                              Time to catch up on my McCammons. I'm sure I won't be bored!

sk
                              I've never heard of this one frik. Is it good or just so-so? Still, the best book I've read by McCammon is Swan Song. And as I've said here before, I even liked it better than King's The Stand, although that's a great book too.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                                my top 10 don't include many horror books

1) Lolita by Vladamir Nabokov
                                2) Moby Dick by Heman Melville
                                3) Mother London by Michael Moorcock
                                4) Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
                                5) Ghost Story by Peter Straub
                                6) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
                                7) King book you don't want mentioned
                                8) The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
                                9) Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
                                10) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Anything by Lovecraft is good, too.
                                LOL Lolita? I just saw that movie on TCM a couple weeks ago. I've seen a couple different versions and I really liked it, even though it's somewhat perverse LOL. And yep, Lovecraft is only second to Poe IMO.
                                Ghost Story? I've always heard that was one of the best haunted house/ghost type story ever wriiten, but I couldn't get into it. Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House blows it away.
                                King book I don't want mentioned?? What is it?? Please tell me? I can't stand mind games! I'd give the Verne book a try even though I don't really care for science fiction. Uncle Tom's Cabin? LOL I'm not sure about that one, but hell why not? I just need some money so I can buy all these recommendations I'm getting, that's all. And when I finish a couple (which could take me a few years to be blunt), I'll tell you guys what I think. I hope the forum and the world is still around by then.
                                Anyway, thanks for the list!

Comment

Working...
                                X