No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished "Chasing the Boogeyman" by Richard Chizmar. Been awhile since I've read a true crime novel (even though this one's fiction). This novel worked for me on all levels. The pacing was fantastic and there were times where I was legitimately creeped out by the story. Seeing that the story had metafiction elements to it, I was a little worried that the ending might be hokey; however, Rich definitely managed to stick the ending and I found myself a little choked-up by it. Overall, this is my favorite thing that Chizmar has written, (and yes, I have read his short story collections), and hope he considers doing more novels in the future. I also hope that Rich/CD will consider doing a limited edition of this book in the future. Overall, I would give this read 4.5 stars out of 5. If you haven't purchased/read this book yet, I recommend that you do so now!

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
      Just finished "Chasing the Boogeyman" by Richard Chizmar. Been awhile since I've read a true crime novel (even though this one's fiction). This novel worked for me on all levels. The pacing was fantastic and there were times where I was legitimately creeped out by the story. Seeing that the story had metafiction elements to it, I was a little worried that the ending might be hokey; however, Rich definitely managed to stick the ending and I found myself a little choked-up by it. Overall, this is my favorite thing that Chizmar has written, (and yes, I have read his short story collections), and hope he considers doing more novels in the future. I also hope that Rich/CD will consider doing a limited edition of this book in the future. Overall, I would give this read 4.5 stars out of 5. If you haven't purchased/read this book yet, I recommend that you do so now!
      I watched a recent interview with him, and he said that if sales of CHASING allow it, he has another BOOGEYMAN novel (sequel? continuation? new angle?) in mind and ready to go. Sounded like he really enjoyed the writing of that novel, and wants to stay in that motif for a while.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I watched a recent interview with him, and he said that if sales of CHASING allow it, he has another BOOGEYMAN novel (sequel? continuation? new angle?) in mind and ready to go. Sounded like he really enjoyed the writing of that novel, and wants to stay in that motif for a while.
        Thanks for that info RonClinton! I really hope that the sales of Chasing the Boogeyman allow him to write another Boogeyman novel. I really enjoyed this one and would love to have more in this series/style. Boogeyman did have a few loose threads that he could continue with if so inclined.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Thanks for that info RonClinton! I really hope that the sales of Chasing the Boogeyman allow him to write another Boogeyman novel. I really enjoyed this one and would love to have more in this series/style. Boogeyman did have a few loose threads that he could continue with if so inclined.
          Pretty sure this is the interview I watched where he talked about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-mci0Gqu-A

Comment

Nearing the end of 'The Fade' by James Cooper. Still unsure where the story is taking me but I am enjoying the journey.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              Nearing the end of 'The Fade' by James Cooper. Still unsure where the story is taking me but I am enjoying the journey.
              Well the journey was enjoyable as the story raised questions about what was happening without giving enough details for you to figure it out. The book concludes with a battle that raised more questions and provided no answers. Then end ruined what had been a pretty nice read.

Comment

A little over halfway through Ania Ahlborn’s new signed/limited from Earthling, DARK ACROSS THE BAY. It’s entertaining enough that I read the first half in a couple days, but the unlikability factor and repetitive self-absorbed whining of the four main characters (a family) is quite high and is making it difficult to empathize and connect with or care about their growing plight. I’ll finish the book, but not sure this a keeper for the collection.

Comment

A little over halfway through Ania Ahlborn’s new signed/limited from Earthling, DARK ACROSS THE BAY. It’s entertaining enough that I read the first half in a couple days, but the unlikability factor and repetitive self-absorbed whining of the four main characters (a family) is quite high and is making it difficult to empathize and connect with or care about their growing plight. I’ll finish the book, but not sure this a keeper for the collection.
                  That is an interesting observation. I think one of the thing that works for the story is how each person is completely self-absorbed in their problems as the family as a whole disintegrates.

Comment

That is an interesting observation. I think one of the thing that works for the story is how each person is completely self-absorbed in their problems as the family as a whole disintegrates.
                    You’re certainly correct and I do get that, and even understand and approve of Ahlborn’s inclusion of it as part of the story to underline their susceptibility of being ready prey…but it’s just so g’damn much…every chapter, again and again…it’s wearying and rather than make me better understand these characters that I otherwise would have zero interest in meeting in real life, the chronic droning of their selfish self-misery and petulance makes me simply not care what happens to them.

Comment

You’re certainly correct and I do get that, and even understand and approve of Ahlborn’s inclusion of it as part of the story to underline their susceptibility of being ready prey…but it’s just so g’damn much…every chapter, again and again…it’s wearying and rather than make me better understand these characters that I otherwise would have zero interest in meeting in real life, the chronic droning of their selfish self-misery and petulance makes me simply not care what happens to them.
                      I agree with this. Though I wasn't as quite as turned off by it as you seem to be, it does make it feel like it's a YA novel perhaps. The ending is certainly interesting and the bones of the story are typical wonderful Ahlborn. I just think it needed a heavier hand at editing. I felt like she was repeatedly making the same point and the story stalls.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

I agree with this. Though I wasn't as quite as turned off by it as you seem to be, it does make it feel like it's a YA novel perhaps. The ending is certainly interesting and the bones of the story are typical wonderful Ahlborn. I just think it needed a heavier hand at editing. I felt like she was repeatedly making the same point and the story stalls.
                        The retelling of an event from another persons view without adding to the story did feel excessive at times.

Comment

The retelling of an event from another persons view without adding to the story did feel excessive at times.
                          Yes, that was yet another issue I had with the story. A story which I just finished a few minutes ago, and without getting into spoilers, the outcome of the climax made zero sense. Along with the climax scenes being a nesting doll’s worth of coincidence worthy of an implausible soap opera, the final chapter made no sense. I can’t say more without giving things away, but surely I can’t be alone in thinking the two characters’ post-climax actions are inexplicable and without logic and reason…?

I dig Earthling’s stuff and have enjoyed Ahlborn’s work to varying degrees in the past (BROTHER is brilliant, the other two I’ve read less so), but like the other two this one isn’t a collection keeper. Too disappointing. Off to eBay it goes, I’m surprised to say, unless someone wants to throw me an offer.

Comment

I haven't been here much lately, I've just been too busy. Here's what I'm reading now. Western Stories (12 stories) edited by William MacLeod Raine, it's a Dell mapback. The Lord Came At Twilight by Daniel Mills -- This book is a disappointment . The Paragon Hotel by Lyndsay Faye. when I read the Prologue to The Paragon Hotel I decided the author was too clever with words. I'm honestly really struggling with this novel. I almst set it aside permanently before page 100. I was tempted to donate this novel. The most interesting aspect of The Paragon Hotel are the historical quotes about the history of the state of Oregon. Wow! I didn't know Oregon had such an ugly history.

Cap
                            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                              I haven't been here much lately, I've just been too busy. Here's what I'm reading now. Western Stories (12 stories) edited by William MacLeod Raine, it's a Dell mapback. The Lord Came At Twilight by Daniel Mills -- This book is a disappointment . The Paragon Hotel by Lyndsay Faye. when I read the Prologue to The Paragon Hotel I decided the author was too clever with words. I'm honestly really struggling with this novel. I almst set it aside permanently before page 100. I was tempted to donate this novel. The most interesting aspect of The Paragon Hotel are the historical quotes about the history of the state of Oregon. Wow! I didn't know Oregon had such an ugly history.

Cap
                              Not sure what part of Oregon History the book delves into but I will confirm that Oregon has some pretty dark history and you do not have to go to far back to find it.

Comment

Not sure what part of Oregon History the book delves into but I will confirm that Oregon has some pretty dark history and you do not have to go to far back to find it.
                                The historical quotes are about the attitude in Oregon toward anyone who was not white/caucasian. ~cap
                                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X