What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenelk View Post
    We could probably give you a synopsis of the first one.
    We could, but we won't!
    Just read the book! It's fairly short and an essential part of the DT series.

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
      We could, but we won't!
      Just read the book! It's fairly short and an essential part of the DT series.

sk
      LOL. But that's what I always really felt. I don't like skimming over books to get to the end even if I don't care for it. It's like if I have a cell phone, I must know how to do every single feature or I'll feel like I'm not getting my money's worth. I don't want to miss out on anything even if I won't use a certain function.

Comment

I'm reading through Night Shift again and it's still freaking great.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Just finished Velocity by Koontz. Really enjoyed it. Reads a bit like Grisham, - the law stuff, + more fast paced plot development.

Now on to:

stories-gaiman-sarrantonio-279x300.jpg

Comment

Haven't had the time to post for a while but I finished Focus by Thomas/Southard and Bestial by Ray Garton. Now on to Father's Little Helper by fellow Volunteer Ronald Kelly. I should be able to plow through the TBR bookcase since I managed to break my leg a few days ago.
            Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

If one or more of you guys would do this for me leaving out King (since I've read virtually all of them), could you give me a top ten list of your favorite books? I like the supernatural type, I just don't like books with monsters in it.
              I'm already going to read King's Blood and The Five, now if if one or more of you could give me a list, I'm going to copy and paste it in my notepad on this computer as to what books to read. I remeber Frik saying Terror by Simmons is good and that's on my list too. Just anything you can think of.
              Thanks!

Comment

Off the top of my head:

-anything Lovecraft - an absolute must!
                -Barker's Books of Blood (not King's!)
                -Fêvre Dream - George R.R. Martin
                -The Thirst - McCammon
                -Summer of Night -Dan Simmons
                -I am Legend - Richard Matheson
                -Conjure Wife - Fritz Leiber
                -The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson
                -Ghoul - Michael Slade

I'm sure others will come up with additional classics...

sk

Comment

Originally posted by gsconquest View Post
                  Haven't had the time to post for a while but I finished Focus by Thomas/Southard and Bestial by Ray Garton. Now on to Father's Little Helper by fellow Volunteer Ronald Kelly. I should be able to plow through the TBR bookcase since I managed to break my leg a few days ago.
                  Ouch! Sorry to here about the leg.

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                    If one or more of you guys would do this for me leaving out King (since I've read virtually all of them), could you give me a top ten list of your favorite books? I like the supernatural type, I just don't like books with monsters in it.
                    I'm already going to read King's Blood and The Five, now if if one or more of you could give me a list, I'm going to copy and paste it in my notepad on this computer as to what books to read. I remeber Frik saying Terror by Simmons is good and that's on my list too. Just anything you can think of.
                    Thanks!
                    Here are some great titles:

Clive Barker - Weaveworld
                    Bret Easton Ellis - American Psycho
                    Jack Ketchum - The Girl Next Door
                    Mark Z. Danielewski - House of Leaves
                    Stephen Graham Jones - The Ones That Got Away (stories); It Came From Del Rio; All the Beautiful Sinners
                    Robert McCammon - Swan Song
                    Paul Tremblay - In the Mean Time (stories)
                    Craig Davidson - Sarah Court (interlinked stories); Rust and Bone (stories); The Fighter
                    Donald Ray Pollock - Knockemstiff
                    Chuck Palahniuk - Choke; Survivor; Diary; Lullaby

not all of this is horror, but it all leans dark. some of these i've reviewed at The Nervous Breakdown
                    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Ok, thanks a lot. I'm saving this list. Any other guys have a list for me?

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
                        Ouch! Sorry to here about the leg.
                        Thanks. It's not too bad a break. I was actually pretty lucky. MRI on Thursday will tell the whole story though.
                        Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Originally posted by gsconquest View Post
                          Thanks. It's not too bad a break. I was actually pretty lucky. MRI on Thursday will tell the whole story though.
                          Any break is a bad break in my opinion. Best of luck with the MRI.

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                            Thanks!
                            Girl on the Glider - Brian Keene (Probably the most personal book he has written)
                            A View From the Lake - Greg F. Gifune
                            The Painted Darkness - Brian James Freeman
                            The Turtle Boy - Kealan Patrick Burke
                            Invisible Fences - Norman Prentiss
                            The Road - Cormac McCarthy (This isn't horror, but is a great read once you get used to the way it is written)
                            Dark Harvest - Norman Partridge
                            The Passage - Justin Cronin (had a couple issues with this one that keep me from rating this a 5/5 on Goodreads, but otherwise a great read)
                            The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (Not horror)

Tried keeping those to somewhat shorter works, though The Passage is quite long.

Some non-fiction I have read and enjoyed quite a bit would include:

Band of Brothers - Stephen E Ambrose
                            Killing Pablo - Mark Bowden
                            "I" The Creation of a Serial Killer - Jack Olsen (Read this entire book in one day)

One non-fiction that would have been better if it wasn't so damn repetitive was The BTK Murders by Carlton Smith. Just seemed like he repeated things way too much in order to increase the page count (which could have been a publisher decision).
                            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                            Spoiler!

Comment

Love this book! (and yes, it's a S/L edition!)

sk
                              Last edited by frik51; 10-25-2011, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Hey Siep! How about a spoiler alert there! I almost lost my lunch. And that wouldn't have been pretty.
                                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Working...
                                X