Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    Ah, well, Win Some, Lose some LOL!
    I'm sure they can be had on the aftermarket reasonably at some point. They also printed two different DJ's for standard edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I have only read a few things from Mr. Golden and really enjoyed them. I need to read some more from home.
      On the off chance that you haven't read them already, I can recommend the following as some of my favorite Christopher Golden reads: Strangewood, The Boys Are Back in Town, Straight on Til Morning, Ararat, Snowblind, & Tin Men. Have also heard great things about his Shadow Saga books, but, haven't had a chance to give them a go yet.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        I love Matt Haig’s work and was really looking forward to THE MIDNIGHT LIBRARY, but found it far too heavy-handed and obvious, with little of the clever nuance of his other recent works. I admire the intent of the work, but the execution fell flat for me.
        Having now finished it, I agree with you Ron. I think it started well but the second half ran out of steam. The ending was predictable and a heavy-handed as you you said. Still a decent read overall though.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post

Having now finished it, I agree with you Ron. I think it started well but the second half ran out of steam. The ending was predictable and a heavy-handed as you you said. Still a decent read overall though.
          Oh, you bet, it certainly has worth...Haig's too good a writer to have it otherwise. But like you, I found that it just didn't live up to the premise, to the promise, of the fantastic idea behind the plot, especially not as the book wore on. Haig clearly had an agenda when writing it, and while it was a worthy agenda and one I hope helps those in need, an agenda-driven book does not often make for a compelling narrative -- definitely not in this case. Had he written it as more of a metaphysical metafiction piece, where perhaps he was the protagonist and looking back at his own mental struggles twenty (?) years ago and how his then-self would have handled it, that might've suited the book far better. But to put it out as a work of straight fiction, as a novel that follows on the heels of the wonderful THE HUMANS and HOW TO STOP TIME, it just didn't meet the necesary standard of execution.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

On the off chance that you haven't read them already, I can recommend the following as some of my favorite Christopher Golden reads: Strangewood, The Boys Are Back in Town, Straight on Til Morning, Ararat, Snowblind, & Tin Men. Have also heard great things about his Shadow Saga books, but, haven't had a chance to give them a go yet.
            I believe the only one in that list I have read is Straight on Til Morning so thanks for the recommendations!

Comment

Just finished "The Bone Weaver's Orchard" by Sarah Read. Had never heard of this book or author; however, I decided I would give it a try after seeing it on Mother Horror’s Top Twenty Indie Horror Books Written by Women. Am so glad that I gave this one a chance as I absolutely loved it. Can totally see why it won a Stoker award. The gothic atmosphere in this one was very strong, almost suffocating in the best possible way. Also had loads of well written characters. Especially loved the main character Charley Winslow and his gardener friend Sam. This book was also a perfect balance of mystery and horror which is rare in my opinion. And once the horror element truly kicked in, it never let up. Also loved the ending, felt very bittersweet and very realistic. My only bummer after reading this was finding out that the author doesn’t have anything else in print in a hardcover format. Maybe one day. Overall, I strongly recommend this book!

Comment

Just finished "The Bone Weaver's Orchard" by Sarah Read. Had never heard of this book or author; however, I decided I would give it a try after seeing it on Mother Horror’s Top Twenty Indie Horror Books Written by Women. Am so glad that I gave this one a chance as I absolutely loved it. Can totally see why it won a Stoker award. The gothic atmosphere in this one was very strong, almost suffocating in the best possible way. Also had loads of well written characters. Especially loved the main character Charley Winslow and his gardener friend Sam. This book was also a perfect balance of mystery and horror which is rare in my opinion. And once the horror element truly kicked in, it never let up. Also loved the ending, felt very bittersweet and very realistic. My only bummer after reading this was finding out that the author doesn’t have anything else in print in a hardcover format. Maybe one day. Overall, I strongly recommend this book!
                Thanks! This sounds right in my wheelhouse. Added to my Audible library.

Comment

Jedi Summer with the Magnetic Kid by John Boden. The only good thing I can say about this one is that it was short, and at 130 pages it was still too long!

The Other People by CJ Tudor. I liked her first two novels, but Tudor really hits it out of the park with The Other People. Best book I've read so far this year.

Last night started Adam's Ladder, an anthology of dark SF stories about human evolution edited by Michael Bailey & Darren Speegle. A few stories in and liking it so far.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                    Jedi Summer with the Magnetic Kid by John Boden. The only good thing I can say about this one is that it was short, and at 130 pages it was still too long!

B
                    I thought I was the only one who didn’t get the hype and widespread praise for this one. I haven’t read any of Boden’s other work, so he could be a talented guy, but this particular book just didn’t click with me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I thought I was the only one who didn’t get the hype and widespread praise for this one. I haven’t read any of Boden’s other work, so he could be a talented guy, but this particular book just didn’t click with me at all.
                      You weren't the only one.

I had heard a lot of good things about Jedi, & it seemed like the kind of book that could provide a bit of nostalgia (I would have been in high school in 1983).

But I got no discernible story & no nostalgia from this novella.

It seemed to be a series of 2 to 4 page vignettes that had no storyline connection what-so-ever.

Very disappointing.

B

Comment

Recently ordered this one.

Never heard of Sarah Read before, but reviews were overwhelmingly positive, and the synopsis certainly seemed interesting.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

Recently ordered this one.

Never heard of Sarah Read before, but reviews were overwhelmingly positive, and the synopsis certainly seemed interesting.

B
                          Can't say enough god things about The Bone Weavers Orchard. Loved it

Comment

Reading Lola On Fire by Rio Youers . Non stop action. This book is so unbelievably amazing I'm only 135 pages in and I highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                              Reading Lola On Fire by Rio Youers . Non stop action. This book is so unbelievably amazing I'm only 135 pages in and I highly recommend it.
                              Good to hear, as it’s among the biggest dots on my radar right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                                Cool...I have it on my kindle, alone with the other 400+ books I haven't read yet

Comment

Working...
                                X