No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished up A Little Magenta Book of Malevolence by Sarah Pinborough. An interesting mix of fiction & non-fiction.

Started Devil's Creek by Tod Keisling. 50 pages in and enjoying it so far.

B

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
      Just finished Joe Hill's "Full Throttle". Definitely enjoyed it but thought his first collection was a bit stronger. My favorite stories in "Full Throttle" were the Introduction as well as the last two: "In the Tall Grass" and "You Are Released." I also enjoyed the story notes at the end of the book. Love when authors are willing to share story notes in short story collections. I think my next read will be Max Booth III's "Touch the Night". Picked-up a copy from CD when it was released and haven't gotten around to reading it yet. This will be my first read from Mr. Booth. The synopsis sounds cool. Hope it is as strong as the reviews.
      I really enjoyed these new stories in this collection. Faun, Late Returns, and All I Care About Is You.

Comment

I'm finishing up the Keller Hit Man series by one of the last Gold Medal Boys, Lawrence Block. I believe he's 82 and talking about retiring. What a career.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
          I'm finishing up the Keller Hit Man series by one of the last Gold Medal Boys, Lawrence Block. I believe he's 82 and talking about retiring. What a career.
          Absolutely love that series. MAC's Quarry series is quite good, but Keller is The Man. I bought and read (and loved) DEAD GIRL BLUES, a book that Block intimates is his final book...but I hold out hope that Keller will make one more appearance before Block calls it a career.
          Last edited by RonClinton; 09-09-2020, 10:53 PM.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Butcher's Boy, Sleeping Dogs by Thomas Perry are hard to beat as well. I still have to read Keller's Fedora!

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Absolutely love that series. MAC's Quarry series is quite good, but Keller is The Man. I bought and read (and loved) DEAD GIRL BLUES, a book that Block intimates is his final book...but I hold out hope that Keller will make one more appearance before Block calls it a career.
              Did you ever watch the TV series??

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Did you ever watch the TV series??
                There was a Keller TV series?

Comment

No LOL, Quarry. Looks like 2015ish??

Comment

Ah. No, never saw it. I think I do recall seeing it mentioned on the covers of some of the HCC trade paperbacks, but never followed up to watch the series.

Comment

Just finished Max Booth III's "Touch the Night. This was my first read by this author; so, I wasn't really sure of what to expect. All I can say is wow. This book kicked ass. The characters felt authentic and fully fleshed out. The premise was cool and the story itself very scary with heaps of dread. My only complaint was that I felt like the ending was a bit abrupt and could have used a few more pages to tie things up; although, technically, that may have been done to set up a sequel or future writing in this universe. Should there be a sequel, you can definitely count me in. I have added this author to my list of people to read in the future and look forward to his next novel. Hopefully, CD will be a part of that.

Will be reading Tim Lebbon's "The Silence" next. Haven't read much by this author including this story but have heard good things. I was able to snag a copy of the limited edition from SST. The production of this book by SST is amazing (especially at that price-point).

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                        Just finished Max Booth III's "Touch the Night. This was my first read by this author; so, I wasn't really sure of what to expect. All I can say is wow. This book kicked ass. The characters felt authentic and fully fleshed out. The premise was cool and the story itself very scary with heaps of dread. My only complaint was that I felt like the ending was a bit abrupt and could have used a few more pages to tie things up; although, technically, that may have been done to set up a sequel or future writing in this universe. Should there be a sequel, you can definitely count me in. I have added this author to my list of people to read in the future and look forward to his next novel. Hopefully, CD will be a part of that.

Will be reading Tim Lebbon's "The Silence" next. Haven't read much by this author including this story but have heard good things. I was able to snag a copy of the limited edition from SST. The production of this book by SST is amazing (especially at that price-point).
                        I have Touch the Night in my TBR, thanks for the info. I may move it up the list. The Silence is a good read.

Comment

Finished reading Midnight Under the Big Top edited by Brian James Freeman. I'm deep into (and loving it!) Stories To Be Whispered: The Collected Short Fiction of Cornell Woolrich Volume Two. I started reading The Lone Ranger #4: Heritage of the Plains/Lone Star Renegade/Death's Head Vengance. It's the last of the Lone Ranger novel length stories from the Lone Ranger pulp magazine.

Cap
                          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I’m reading Brian Keene’s, End of the Road, which has lead me to refer back to, Dark Dreamers: Facing the Masters of Fear Edited by Stanley Wiater, Photographs by Beth Gwinn. That set me onto Scream Quietly: A collection of Charles L. Grant, and that to Thomas Monteleone’s, The Mothers And Fathers Italian Association, which I didn’t own, but I do now. I think Brian Keene is very brave to put his life out there. To let complete strangers poke through his story and say WTF were you thinking!!! I took it to the VA today and read it while I waited a couple of hours for an X-ray. He certainly helped the time go by. Lots of great information. I’m really enjoying it. Not always a happy story, but an interesting one.

Comment

Currently thoroughly enjoying Angel's Inferno. Not as focused and shocking as Falling Angel, but a wonderful, leisurely continuation of the story. Switching NY for Paris, it's set at a more European pace. I should be done reading it this weekend. Then maybe Touch the Night? or The Silence?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                                Currently thoroughly enjoying Angel's Inferno. Not as focused and shocking as Falling Angel, but a wonderful, leisurely continuation of the story. Switching NY for Paris, it's set at a more European pace. I should be done reading it this weekend. Then maybe Touch the Night? or The Silence?
                                Just finished The Silence yesterday and read Touch the Night right before that. If I were choosing between the two, I would go with Touch the Night. The Silence was a good but standard apocalypse story; however, at least to me, Touch the Night was a much more original/bonkers novel with some amazing characterization. Touch the Night was my first Max Booth III read, and based on its strength, I will be reading his next book for sure!

Comment

Working...
                                X