What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Please, please let me know what you think of Ghost Summer Stories. Tananarive Due is may latest obsession. Will finish Freedom in the Family a non-fiction book she co-wrote with her mother today and will have to decide on what to read next. On a side note I totally blame Brian James Freeman for this latest obsession. Her story Herd Immunity was the best story in Midnight Under the Big Top. That is saying something since the book includes stories from Stephen King, Joe Hill, Neal Gaiman, Ray Bradbury, Robert McCammon, Richard Matheson and many others.
    Only 3 stories in (2 short stories and the title novella) but this is worth it just for the title novella. I think I might put this down for a bit and savour it. It's that good

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

Only 3 stories in (2 short stories and the title novella) but this is worth it just for the title novella. I think I might put this down for a bit and savour it. It's that good
      Thanks. I also did a little research and realized that this collection also has the story Herd Immunity which got me interested in her work. I have ordered this collection from Amazon. I spent the weekend re-arranging my bookshelves this weekend and realized that she has a story in Shivers VII which I have not read. I am determined to finish what I am reading before I read that one though. I also can't recommend her non-fiction Freedom in the Family highly enough. Just an amazing read.

Comment

Called in sick today and spent the morning reading Richard Chizmar's THE GIRL ON THE PORCH. Really enjoying it so far.
        http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
          Called in sick today and spent the morning reading Richard Chizmar's THE GIRL ON THE PORCH. Really enjoying it so far.
          I loved that story. Creepy in just the right ways!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Thanks. I also did a little research and realized that this collection also has the story Herd Immunity which got me interested in her work. I have ordered this collection from Amazon. I spent the weekend re-arranging my bookshelves this weekend and realized that she has a story in Shivers VII which I have not read. I am determined to finish what I am reading before I read that one though. I also can't recommend her non-fiction Freedom in the Family highly enough. Just an amazing read.
            I'll check out that non-fiction book as well. She is really good. She is one that I discovered through Night Worms. This book was on a recommended reading list for the title story for coming of age horror and it was the only one on the list I hadn't read yet.

Comment

Just finished THE CHRYSALIS by Brendan Deneen, just started UNIVERSAL HARVESTER by John Darnielle.

Comment

THE GUNS OF AVALON by Roger Zelazny, book #2 of the Amber pentology. I read them as they came out when I was in college, and am happy to rediscover they are just as good now! In non-fiction, my continuing study of the history of Britannia, Guy de la Bedoyere's ROMAN BRITAIN.
                Last edited by keithminnion; 06-30-2020, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Reading a novella by Eric Brown that is about Sherlock Holmes on Mars solving a Martian murder, The Martian Simulacra: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery. Finding it difficult to sustain interest and concentration, but I think that's more about me than the book, which actually is pretty interesting thus far...I look forward to pushing through and finishing the book.

A batch of four new Jeff Strand books are scheduled to show up tomorrow, so will probably dive right into one of those after the Brown novella...if Strand can't break this reading block, nothing will.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    Reading a novella by Eric Brown that is about Sherlock Holmes on Mars solving a Martian murder, The Martian Simulacra: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery. Finding it difficult to sustain interest and concentration, but I think that's more about me than the book, which actually is pretty interesting thus far...I look forward to pushing through and finishing the book.

A batch of four new Jeff Strand books are scheduled to show up tomorrow, so will probably dive right into one of those after the Brown novella...if Strand can't break this reading block, nothing will.
                    I've had those "reading blocks" and their brutal. Sometimes I just can't engage and I know it's me and not the book. This usually happens after a run of mediocre books. I occasionally have to dip back into the well of beloved authors or books to break through and regain that momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I've had those "reading blocks" and their brutal. Sometimes I just can't engage and I know it's me and not the book. This usually happens after a run of mediocre books. I occasionally have to dip back into the well of beloved authors or books to break through and regain that momentum.
                      Exactly...my recent run of reads has been less than satisfying. I'm pretty confident Strand will break the streak.

Comment

Exactly...my recent run of reads has been less than satisfying. I'm pretty confident Strand will break the streak.
                        Strand 's books are just pure fun. Even his brutal books are fun. One of my favorite authors.

Comment

I've yet to read a Strand book. I have the Earthling edition of THE HAUNTED FOREST TOUR but haven't gotten around to reading it. I've also missed out on all the TSB limited editions of his that have been coming out of late. I think the last one was CLOWNS VS. SPIDERS, which sounds interesting, but hard to plunk $99 on when I'm not sure of the author.

Comment

Six chapters into One Who Was With Me by Conrad Williams. Intrigued but not sure were it is going at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I've yet to read a Strand book. I have the Earthling edition of THE HAUNTED FOREST TOUR but haven't gotten around to reading it. I've also missed out on all the TSB limited editions of his that have been coming out of late. I think the last one was CLOWNS VS. SPIDERS, which sounds interesting, but hard to plunk $99 on when I'm not sure of the author.
                              I’m a big fan of Strand, and have most of his body of work. It’s immensely readable, and as mentioned, just plain fun. The jokiness and patter can, at times, be a bit much, and the dialogue among the characters a little one-note, but all in all it’s incredibly entertaining stuff. I wouldn’t start with CLOWNS VS SPIDERS, however, as it’s one of his works that reviews seem to suggest (I haven’t read it yet) suffers disproportionately from those aforementioned quirks. Lots of other great ones to try, though, that are sure to make you a fan as well.

Comment

Half way through The Crooked House by Joe McKinney. Traditional haunted house story, and so far so good. Not a surprise, as I've liked everything I've read by Mckinney so far.

B.

Comment

Working...
                                X