What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    So several people have mentioned Jeff Strand on this forum. I realized I had a Cemetery Dance Novella ARC from Mr. Strand in my TBR pile. I am about half way through Cold Dead Hands and am absolutely loving it. Looked at the CD website to see if there were still copies of the Signed edition available. It appears that this one has not yet been released. This is my first Jeff Strand read, based on the first half of the book it will not be my last.
    Finished Cold Dead Hands and it never let me down. Five star read!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

Psst, Dan and BJF, can you make Cold Dead Hands one of the books in either the Book Club I bought into in 2016 or the Forthcoming Grab bag I bought into in 2018?? That would be sweeeeet.

OH MY GOD I would love that!

Comment

I would recommend Jeff Strands Andrew Mayhem series. The first book is titled Graverobbers Wanted ( No Experience Necessary). I absolutely love Jeff Strand. Another one the novella Blister. The man is warped.

Comment

I finished Inspection a few days ago and loved it. It's soooooooo much better then Unburry Carol. The character development in Inspection is 10,000 times better.
          I'm now reading A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles. 100 pages in and it's a thoroughly enjoyable reading experience.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
            I finished Inspection a few days ago and loved it. It's soooooooo much better then Unburry Carol. The character development in Inspection is 10,000 times better.
            I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
              I loved The Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. This book worked for me on many levels: setting, characters, atmosphere. I am really looking forward to the next one in this potential series. I also had never read anything by the author beforehand. From what I gather, this was her first foray into adult novels versus here usual YA stuff.
              Back during my early days with Audible, I'd buy any Daily Deal that sounded slightly interesting, and her YA novel Six of Crows was on sale. I bought it without realizing it was YA (just sounded like a fantasy novel) and it was actually a very enjoyable read/listen. So much so that I ended up buying the sequel!

Ninth House is in TBR pile. One day...

As for all of the Jeff Strand talk, he is such a fun writer! He is a force to be reckoned with and releases new titles all the damn time. If you're into e-books, his titles are really cheap. But he does offer them in paperback too (and some fancier editions through Thunderstorm)!

If you prefer physical books, I'd recommend checking out Dark Regions. They usually have some paperback deals on their Strand titles, which include the first two Wolf Hunts!

Comment

Oh, and since I neglected the point of the actual thread... I'm finally starting Gwendy's Magic Feather!

Comment

Just finished Stephen King's "If It Bleeds" last night. Really enjoyed it. Am now on to Don Winslow's "Broken". Am a huge Winslow fan and am excited to begin this book.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                    I'm now reading A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles. 100 pages in and it's a thoroughly enjoyable reading experience.
                    Speaking of Malerman, has anyone else been reading "Carpenters Farm", his serialized novel online? I have really been enjoying it. Kind of tough mixing it in with my regular reading but I think it has been excellent.

Comment

Finished The House of Silence by Avalon Brantley a while back. I don't know anything about the author other than she supposedly died within the last few years. The book was very good, but I had my reservations about the "overly generous" ratings on Goodreads. I had only one arguable criticism of the work, and I would chalk it up to preferences, and obviously the author saw it differently. I would give it a 4.2 out of 5.
                      Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                      Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Finished The Skinless Face by Donald Tyson. A pretty good collection of stories, though I would say Tyson writes better Lovecraftian stories than in-general horror stories.

Currently I'm six stories through in I Am the Abyss, an anthology of nine stories dealing with the afterlife. Of the six, three I liked and three I didn't. The three I didn't like were much too surreal for my taste. I may have to set this one to the side and pick something else up for a while.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                          The three I didn't like were much too surreal for my taste. I may have to set this one to the side and pick something else up for a while.

B
                          That's the same issue I'm having with the latest Steve Tem collection. Sometimes this type of fiction -- which, though Tem writes often in this style, this particular collection seems especially pronounced -- hits me right and sometimes...not. This apparently is one of those 'not' times...after a half-dozen stories or so, I find myself starting to skim-read, so this book may be finished before the night's over. Then I'm off to the new Grady Hendrix novel, which is distinctly not a surreal read...his stuff is about as accessible as it gets.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                            That's the same issue I'm having with the latest Steve Tem collection. Sometimes this type of fiction -- which, though Tem writes often in this style, this particular collection seems especially pronounced -- hits me right and sometimes...not. This apparently is one of those 'not' times...after a half-dozen stories or so, I find myself starting to skim-read, so this book may be finished before the night's over. Then I'm off to the new Grady Hendrix novel, which is distinctly not a surreal read...his stuff is about as accessible as it gets.
                            The New Grady Hendrix novel is in my Summer tbr pile. It looks and sounds like a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                              Well that's a coincidence. One of the stories I didn't like for being too surreal was by Tem.

I've put I Am the Abyss to the side for now.

Started Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant. 30 pages in and liking it a lot so far.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
                                Back during my early days with Audible, I'd buy any Daily Deal that sounded slightly interesting, and her YA novel Six of Crows was on sale. I bought it without realizing it was YA (just sounded like a fantasy novel) and it was actually a very enjoyable read/listen. So much so that I ended up buying the sequel!

Ninth House is in TBR pile. One day...
                                I purchased both of those for my wife - they do hold some interest for me, but it's just a matter of finding the time to read them. And to get through all of my other TBR books.

Comment

Working...
                                X