Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Lividian slipcased LE of Robert McCammon's "Seven Shades of Evil". Had read a few of these stories previously; however, I still enjoyed the heck out of this book. IMO, "Wandering Mary" & "The Lady Barbara" were the best stories, but each of the stories with Minx Cutter were super fun too. I would love to read more Minx stories! This series is one of my all-time favorites and I am super stoked for the final book, Leviathan. After that's done, I'm hopeful we'll still get the occasional story set in the "Matthew" world.

Am now reading the Suntup AGE of HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt. Read the book when it was first released and remember liking it; however, I can only remember the basic premise; so, I'm really looking forward to reading this again, especially the choice Suntup version!

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Starting John the Balladeer by Manly Wade Wellman (Valancourt edition).

B
    I am just discovering these stories, so please share your thoughts on the book when you get a chance.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Starting John the Balladeer by Manly Wade Wellman (Valancourt edition).

B

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

This is what kept me from picking up HIDDEN PICTURES for so long....It sounds like another generic ghost story from the back cover description. So I'm willing to pick up the upcoming book sight unseen and just give it a go.
    I completely understand where you are coming from. Had I not loved THE IMPOSSIBLE FORTRESS so much I probably would have skipped HIDDEN PICTURES.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Ron, I believe you are the person who introduced me to Rekulak's stories. So, Thank You! Regarding THE LAST ONE AT THE WEDDING, the cover art is pretty generic, and I have not read anything about the plot. I do agree that the title alone could portend another story in a well-used trope. Just like you, I am giving the author the benefit of the doubt as I also think HIDDEN PICTURES could have fallen into that trap and he completely avoided it.
    This is what kept me from picking up HIDDEN PICTURES for so long....It sounds like another generic ghost story from the back cover description. So I'm willing to pick up the upcoming book sight unseen and just give it a go.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post

Maybe it’s time to crack open one of those Tudor books. Â

You might just like it (don’t let Jeff scare you off!).

I would recommend starting with either The Other People or The Burning Girls, both of which were thriller / mysteries with a bit of the supernatural thrown in,

If short stories are more your thing, her collection A Sliver of Darkness was very good, and the stories had a lot more of a supernatural angle to them.

B
    Â
    Agreed. I've staring at them for quite some time, telling myself that I need to get to them. Thanks for the starting point recommendations and hopefully I can actually get to one before Sub Press publishes another one of her books!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

Ron, I believe you are the person who introduced me to Rekulak's stories. So, Thank You! Regarding THE LAST ONE AT THE WEDDING, the cover art is pretty generic, and I have not read anything about the plot. I do agree that the title alone could portend another story in a well-used trope. Just like you, I am giving the author the benefit of the doubt as I also think HIDDEN PICTURES could have fallen into that trap and he completely avoided it.
    My pleasure...glad he garnered another fan, his work deserves it!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I'm in lockstep with all that. I am a little concerned about THE LAST ONE AT THE WEDDING as the cover and plot are giving off -- at the risk of sounding a bit misogynistic -- feminine-thriller vibes, those thrillers that swamp the bookstore shelves these days. But given Rekulak's previous two terrific novels, I'm giving the book the benefit of the doubt and will assume it's more original than it appears.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Thanks for reminding me about that one! I was considering it, and your rec just sealed the deal for me.
    I failed to also agree with you regarding the illustrations in HIDDEN PICTURES. The images and their progression in the book are perfect for the story! I can't recommend THE IMPOSSIBLE FORTRESS enough. I think I have read it three or four times and will probably re-read it again this summer.
    Last edited by Martin; 04-02-2024, 01:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

I loved HIDDEN PICTURES. I have to admit his 1st novel, which is not horror related, THE IMPOSSIBLE FORTRESS is even better. He also has a thriller titled THE LAST ONE AT THE WEDDING coming out in October. Only two novels in he is already a must-read author for me.
    I'm in lockstep with all that. I am a little concerned about THE LAST ONE AT THE WEDDING as the cover and plot are giving off -- at the risk of sounding a bit misogynistic -- feminine-thriller vibes, those thrillers that swamp the bookstore shelves these days. But given Rekulak's previous two terrific novels, I'm giving the book the benefit of the doubt and will assume it's more original than it appears.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied

I loved HIDDEN PICTURES. I have to admit his 1st novel, which is not horror related, THE IMPOSSIBLE FORTRESS is even better. He also has a thriller titled THE LAST ONE AT THE WEDDING coming out in October. Only two novels in he is already a must-read author for me.
    Thanks for reminding me about that one! I was considering it, and your rec just sealed the deal for me.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

You know, due to praise on this forum, I bought The Chalk Man through Camelot Books years ago and still have not read it. Due to the ease of doing business with Camelot and, maybe general passivity on my part, I have somehow wound up with a matching numbered set of all of Tudor's Sub Press books, with A Sliver of Darkness just finding its place on the shelf last week. I really need to kick my reading into a higher gear to get caught up on this stuff. Or, you know, at least determine if I like an author before purchasing five limited editions of their work...
    Maybe it’s time to crack open one of those Tudor books.  

You might just like it (don’t let Jeff scare you off!).

I would recommend starting with either The Other People or The Burning Girls, both of which were thriller / mysteries with a bit of the supernatural thrown in,

If short stories are more your thing, her collection A Sliver of Darkness was very good, and the stories had a lot more of a supernatural angle to them.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished The Burning Girls by CJ Tudor, and really enjoyed it, probably my favorite of her work so far.

After Burning Girls, I started The Dunwich Horror, the latest in the Francois Baranger series of illustrated Lovecraft stories.

This is the third in the series and I hope he keeps going.  

His illustrations are amazing and really help in visualizing Lovecraft’s sometimes dense prose.

B

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    I blew through Jason Rekulak's HIDDEN PICTURES in just a couple of days, so I highly recommend this illustrated ghost story. If you're interested, pick up a print version, as you'll be flipping back and forth to the illustrations constantly, since they contain clues to the mystery. A great, great book!

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    I blew through Jason Rekulak's HIDDEN PICTURES in just a couple of days, so I highly recommend this illustrated ghost story. If you're interested, pick up a print version, as you'll be flipping back and forth to the illustrations constantly, since they contain clues to the mystery. A great, great book!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X