What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started "Devotion" by Koontz
    I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
      Just finished the 2nd book in Joe Lansdale's Ned the Seal trilogy, "Flaming Zeppelins". Liked it at least as much as the first book if not a bit more. Not exactly heavy reading but great gonzo fun nonetheless. Am now onto the final book in the trilogy, "The Sky Done Ripped." Am excited to see how Lansdale wraps this trilogy up. Also like the fact that the final book's length is as long as the first two books combined. Hopefully I won't rip through this one in a day as I did with the first two books.
      I have so many Landsale books that I haven't read - these three are definitely in that group.

It was a surprise when my SubPress order of They Sky Done Ripped arrived - I didn't remember buying the Limited version since I don't have the limited versions of the previous two (I have the signed trades with the tipped in signature sheets.) Big fan of the slipcase it came in.

Comment

Finished reading The Narrator by Norman Prentiss & Michael McBride, great paperback novella. I'm reading Dracula/Frankenstein (Both novels in one book). I did not use a bookmark with Dracula or mark my progress in Goodreads so I started over. I am also reading Midnight Under the Big Top edited by Brian James Freeman.

Cap

What do you think of the new avatar?
        Last edited by c marvel; 04-25-2020, 06:32 PM.
        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
          Finished reading The Narrator by Norman Prentiss & Michael McBride, great paperback novella. I'm reading Dracula/Frankenstein (Both novels in one book). I did not use a bookmark with Dracula or mark my progress in Goodreads so I started over. I am also reading Midnight Under the Big Top edited by Brian James Freeman.

Cap
          I remember liking The Narrator but currently am not able to recall the book. I may need to give that one another read. I am curious on your thoughts on Midnight Under the Big Top as it was one of my top reads over the last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            I remember liking The Narrator but currently am not able to recall the book. I may need to give that one another read. I am curious on your thoughts on Midnight Under the Big Top as it was one of my top reads over the last year.
            Midnight Under the Big Top is interesting. I haven't gotten too far. I will admit I thought the Joe Hill Twitter format story was peculiar. With long books like MUtBT I tend to be a slower reader-At least until it really grabs me.

Cap
            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I am almost completely unable to concentrate on reading since the Coronavirus outbreak started, so I currently have a whopping seven books cooking at once. I flit from one to the next like a depressed, worried hummingbird.

MARVEL HORROR OMNIBUS- A fantastic collection of great old Marvel monster comics from the '70s. The Zombie, Brother Voodoo, The Living Mummy, It! The Living Colossus, Gabriel, Devil-Hunter, The Scarecrow, and more. I'm having a blast with this.

AFRAID, by J.A. Konrath- So far, this is just mysterious people murdering random townspeople, so...too early to judge.

A LITTLE GREEN BOOK OF GRINS & GRAVITY, by Ramsey Campbell- File this under "They have a lot of nerve publishing this." I'm not a big fan of trunk novels, and unfinished trunk novels get even less love from me. This is just a ridiculous thing to publish and charge thirty bucks for, one of those books where everyone calls everyone else by their full name. "Excuse me, John Smith." "Yes, Colin Perberbottom, just let me finish talking to John Umperpooper, and then I'll take you to see Lady Featherington!" (I joke, but the real book reads exactly like that.) I'm finishing this out of spite. (Spiting myself for buying this.)

TRIBUTES II: REMEMBERING MORE OF THE WORLD'S GREATEST WRESTLERS, by Dave Meltzer. Meltzer jumps around so much in these obituaries, that they read as if they were written by a time-traveling Rain Man child with ADHD.

BFI MODERN CLASSICS: SEVEN, by Richard Dyer- A dry analysis of the film.

CALYPSO, by David Sedaris- This is just the thing to read when you're panicking over the financial apocalypse. A belly laugh on every page.

BARBARIAN LIFE: A LITERARY BIOGRAPHY OF CONAN THE BARBARIAN, by Roy Thomas- An entertaining issue-by-issue breakdown of Marvel's CONAN THE BARBARIAN comic from the early '70s.
              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Have about 80 pages to go in The Institute by King. Should finish it tonight.

Like it so far. Need to see how the end plays out, if it will elevate it from just a good book to a really good book.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                  Have about 80 pages to go in The Institute by King. Should finish it tonight.

Like it so far. Need to see how the end plays out, if it will elevate it from just a good book to a really good book.

B
                  It was meh for me. I'm still waiting for him to blow my hair back like in the old days. Duma Key was my last experience with that.

Comment

Finished THE END OF THE ROAD (CD Pub.) by Brian Keene. Now reading a Michael Blumlein collection from Centipede Press.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

A LITTLE GREEN BOOK OF GRINS & GRAVITY, by Ramsey Campbell- File this under "They have a lot of nerve publishing this." I'm not a big fan of trunk novels, and unfinished trunk novels get even less love from me. This is just a ridiculous thing to publish and charge thirty bucks for, one of those books where everyone calls everyone else by their full name. "Excuse me, John Smith." "Yes, Colin Perberbottom, just let me finish talking to John Umperpooper, and then I'll take you to see Lady Featherington!" (I joke, but the real book reads exactly like that.) I'm finishing this out of spite. (Spiting myself for buying this.)

Great. I was looking forward to this one.

I'm reading Cabin at the End of the World. Almost done with it. Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        Great. I was looking forward to this one.

I'm reading Cabin at the End of the World. Almost done with it. Love it.
                        You might like it. I find it almost mesmerizingly horrible.

All of this talk about Stephen King made me start THE COLORADO KID.
                        http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                          Finished THE END OF THE ROAD (CD Pub.) by Brian Keene. Now reading a Michael Blumlein collection from Centipede Press.
                          I have The End of the Road ready to go. Did you enjoy it Ron??

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                            I have The End of the Road ready to go. Did you enjoy it Ron??
                            I did. I'm a fan of Keene's non-fiction work...I also have the three volumes released by Thunderstorm.

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...510028801?s=20

That said, it was a little repetitive -- which wasn't particularly surprising, given the overarching nature of the book -- and a little familiar -- which also wasn't surprising, as I'd read most of them on-line via the CD platform they first appeared on...plus some of the material was talked about on Keene's podcast...plus anyone who's been around the genre as long as I have just picks up stuff through osmosis. So none of the niggles I had were indicative of any problem with the book, but really more of my own familiarity with the material...but, even there, it was cool to have it all gathered in one spot like that, the signing tour mirroring the "tour" of the genre, both of which had their respective triumphs and downfalls.
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                              It was meh for me. I'm still waiting for him to blow my hair back like in the old days. Duma Key was my last experience with that.
                              Yeah, it was definitely middle of the road as far as King books go.

In relation to recent publications, I would put it a step or two behind The Outsider and several steps above Sleeping Beauties.

Started reading The Skinless Face & Other Horrors by Donald Tyson last night. Collection of his Lovecraftian fiction.

Finished the first story and 2/3 through the second, and liking both so far.

B.

Comment

I enjoyed it and thought it was a good read. For me it was okay for an SK novel but an above average read compared to others authors I've read lately.

I do agree with you Brian. Duma Key was amazing. 11/22/63 gave me a little of those old SK thrills as well.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X