No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back to and finished Secret Stories: Tales from the Secret History by F. Paul Wilson.

Enjoyed them very much. Should move on to the novels. The Barrens was a great one.

Maybe next, The Confessions: Works of Saint Augustine.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by njhorror View Post
      Just got back to and finished Secret Stories: Tales from the Secret History by F. Paul Wilson.

Enjoyed them very much. Should move on to the novels. The Barrens was a great one.

Maybe next, The Confessions: Works of Saint Augustine.
      F. Paul Wilson is a writer that has been on my radar forever but I have never read him. I may have to remedy that.

Comment

Just finished A KISS BEFORE DYING by Ira Levin, his '53 debut novel. A great read, one of the better ones I've had a relatively 'meh' string of books...feels refreshing when that happens.

After that, finished Brian James Freeman's PS Pub omnibus collection...good stuff.

Will look at my TBR pile this evening and see what's calling me next.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          F. Paul Wilson is a writer that has been on my radar forever but I have never read him. I may have to remedy that.
          If you don't want to get bogged down / intimidated by this Repairman Jack series, give MIDNIGHT MASS a try...a vampire apocalypse, and a pretty entertaining one at that. His horror debut (after a series of early sci-fi works), THE KEEP, a WWII-vampire mashup is also very good. His sci-fi noir, DYDEETOWN WORLD, is a lot of fun as well. Those are the three that always leap to my mind as solid recs for someone new to Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
            If you don't want to get bogged down / intimidated by this Repairman Jack series, give MIDNIGHT MASS a try...a vampire apocalypse, and a pretty entertaining one at that. His horror debut (after a series of early sci-fi works), THE KEEP, a WWII-vampire mashup is also very good. His sci-fi noir, DYDEETOWN WORLD, is a lot of fun as well. Those are the three that always leap to my mind as solid recs for someone new to Wilson.
            I actually may own a copy of the CD edition of Midnight Mass.

Comment

I love the cover of the CD edition.

Comment

That's the one to have. The CD novel was expanded from the shorter novella that Pulphouse Pub. put out way back in the day. There were a few spots where it felt perhaps just a bit more padded for length than it needed to be -- there is something to be said about keeping the narrative lean and mean, short and sharp -- but I still thought it was the better, richer experience of the two.

Comment

That's the one to have. The CD novel was expanded from the shorter novella that Pulphouse Pub. put out way back in the day. There were a few spots where it felt perhaps just a bit more padded for length than it needed to be -- there is something to be said about keeping the narrative lean and mean, short and sharp -- but I still thought it was the better, richer experience of the two.
                  I will look for it. I am not sure I have it being something tells me I do.

Comment

Became a little busy and took a bit to finish this one up. I thought it was great with only a small slow up for me at the final finale.

Sometimes I feel like SK has lost it but then I get sucked right back into wanting to be a constant reader. I pretty much hated Sleeping Beauties, and frankly put off by it, but this book felt like and read like classic King.

I wasn't really that interested in this book as it all sounded like covered territory but he made it a distinct story that did not feel like a retread at all.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                    I'm nearing the end and it appears to be shaping up to one helluva conclusion. I was a little bored during middle of the book.
                    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Come to think of it I own a copy of the CD edition of Midnight Mass. . . somewhere.
                      Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                      Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Just finished James A. Moore’s “Blood Red/Black Stone Bay” trilogy. Haven’t read a ton by this author, but, really liked this set of books. Even though they’ve been done a ton, I’m a sucker for a good vampire story and this series fits the bill. Lots of cool characters with really good dialogue. Also love the setting of Black Stone Bay. My only quibble with this series is that the 2nd book felt much weaker than the first and third books; however, I often find that to be the case when I read a trilogy and don’t hold it against the series as a whole. Also room for another book in this series should Moore’s health allow it to be written. Am hoping that will be the case as I would love the see another “Blood Red” book show up in the Earthling Halloween series. Can’t wait to see what Earthling has on tap for next Halloween! Will probably read the Suntup limited of "Horns" next as I haven't yet gotten around to reading the copy I picked up and it has been ages since I first read horns.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                          Just finished James A. Moore’s “Blood Red/Black Stone Bay” trilogy. Haven’t read a ton by this author, but, really liked this set of books. Even though they’ve been done a ton, I’m a sucker for a good vampire story and this series fits the bill. Lots of cool characters with really good dialogue. Also love the setting of Black Stone Bay. My only quibble with this series is that the 2nd book felt much weaker than the first and third books; however, I often find that to be the case when I read a trilogy and don’t hold it against the series as a whole. Also room for another book in this series should Moore’s health allow it to be written. Am hoping that will be the case as I would love the see another “Blood Red” book show up in the Earthling Halloween series. Can’t wait to see what Earthling has on tap for next Halloween! Will probably read the Suntup limited of "Horns" next as I haven't yet gotten around to reading the copy I picked up and it has been ages since I first read horns.
                          Glad to hear this! I'm trying to work the trilogy in my schedule. Unfortunately I'm wasting some of my reading time watching the 3rd season of Into the Badlands. I love that show, but it has gotten hokey.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                            Glad to hear this! I'm trying to work the trilogy in my schedule. Unfortunately I'm wasting some of my reading time watching the 3rd season of Into the Badlands. I love that show, but it has gotten hokey.
                            I'm with you there. Loved the premise, but, I had to give up Into the Badlands after season 2. I also thought it had gotten a bit hokey and also couldn't really find a character/actor that I was attached to/liked in the series. For the most part, Felt like this series was very miscast.

Comment

By chance, has anyone read Erin Morgenstern's new one yet, "The Starless Sea"? Would love to hear your thoughts. I remember enjoying "The Night Circus" when it was released years ago. Description for the new one sounds almost Gaimenesque. It got the Kirkus starred review; so, I'm assuming it must be good and will probably pick it up at some point.

Comment

I have the CD Midnight Mass. It's a big book, slipcased too. ~Cap

Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X