What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
    I started with Horns (audiobook) which I loved. After that, I read Heart Shaped Box and 20th Century Ghosts. Enjoyed both of them very much.
    I then read Nos4R2, which I liked, but probably not as much as the others. Then I listened to The Fireman, which after a slow start, grew on me as it developed until, by the end, I loved it.
    Then it seemed logical to start reading Locke and Key - I think it was when I looked through Brian861's collection thread - and so I went for the IDW Master editions, and as I mentioned earlier, I'm at the half way point.
    Reading comics is a different experience to the written word. I feel that I have to stop and savour the artwork, when my instinct is to turn the page and rush along into the narrative. My daughter is an aspiring comic book artist, so guilt is a factor!
    I've ordered the CD version of Strange Weather, and will probably listen to it as an audiobook because I probably won't be able to wait.

On the whole, I give Joe Hill a resounding thumbs up.
    NOS4A2 is my least favorite Hill read. I enjoyed it but was not blown away, on the other hand I loved The Fireman. I see a lot of peoples comments that say they loved NOS4A2 and did not enjoy The Fireman.

Comment

I started with Horns (audiobook) which I loved. After that, I read Heart Shaped Box and 20th Century Ghosts. Enjoyed both of them very much.
      I then read Nos4R2, which I liked, but probably not as much as the others. Then I listened to The Fireman, which after a slow start, grew on me as it developed until, by the end, I loved it.
      Then it seemed logical to start reading Locke and Key - I think it was when I looked through Brian861's collection thread - and so I went for the IDW Master editions, and as I mentioned earlier, I'm at the half way point.
      Reading comics is a different experience to the written word. I feel that I have to stop and savour the artwork, when my instinct is to turn the page and rush along into the narrative. My daughter is an aspiring comic book artist, so guilt is a factor!
      I've ordered the CD version of Strange Weather, and will probably listen to it as an audiobook because I probably won't be able to wait.

On the whole, I give Joe Hill a resounding thumbs up.
      Glad to hear that you like Joe's stuff!

Comment

I finished reading Fright by Cornell Woolrich. This book was a disappointment and I will not be reading any more titles by this author. I'm now halfway through The Book Of Baby Names by Norman Prentiss.

Cap
        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
          I finished reading Fright by Cornell Woolrich. This book was a disappointment and I will not be reading any more titles by this author. I'm now halfway through The Book Of Baby Names by Norman Prentiss.

Cap
          What else have you read by Woolrich? I have THE BRIDE WORE BLACK on my shelf and I already read RENDEZVOUS IN BLACK. I thought RENDEZVOUS was good.

Comment

I've only read I Married a Dead Man and really like it.

Currently reading The Girl in the Swing by Richard Adams. I tried to get the CP edition when it was released but failed. Now I REALLY want it.

Comment

Call me odd, whatever, but I tried reading Hell House (Matheson).........about 1/2 way through, and I really don't care what's happening. Although I have kind of enjoyed it too? Putting it away for a bit.

Trying my first large size Neal Stephenson now..... Cryptonomicon. I want to get into his works more (only read Snow Crash), as it seems something I will enjoy. Have Anathem as well, but starting with Cryptonomicon.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                Trying my first large size Neal Stephenson now..... Cryptonomicon. I want to get into his works more (only read Snow Crash), as it seems something I will enjoy. Have Anathem as well, but starting with Cryptonomicon.
                Cyrptonomicon has always been one of my favorites. It's a huge freakin' book, but I've read it at least five times.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                  What else have you read by Woolrich? I have THE BRIDE WORE BLACK on my shelf and I already read RENDEZVOUS IN BLACK. I thought RENDEZVOUS was good.
                  I may try a Cornell Woolrich Audible title. There is at least one title by the author at Audible. I am still reading The Book Of Baby Names and this evening I began Mission Raise Hell: The U. S. Marines On Choiseul October-November 1943 by James F. Christ.

Cap
                  Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I have recently read the Halloween Children, which I figured I should do as I bought the forthcoming CD version. Read it on the tablet though. I quite enjoyed it but I don't get the whole Halloween thing. Probably due to being born and raised in Australia in a time when we didn't do Halloween. That's changed now with the Americanisation of our culture.
                    Then I read Bone White by Ronald Malfi. A bit of a slog for much of the book, but in the end it got me, and had me caring about what happened to our protagonist. I finished that one on a plane yesterday and felt like somehting a bit lighter, so I started Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Being a geek child of the 70s/80s, I was immediately hooked and switched to the audible version for the drive from the airport. Loving it!

Comment

I have recently read the Halloween Children, which I figured I should do as I bought the forthcoming CD version. Read it on the tablet though. I quite enjoyed it but I don't get the whole Halloween thing. Probably due to being born and raised in Australia in a time when we didn't do Halloween. That's changed now with the Americanisation of our culture.
                      Then I read Bone White by Ronald Malfi. A bit of a slog for much of the book, but in the end it got me, and had me caring about what happened to our protagonist. I finished that one on a plane yesterday and felt like somehting a bit lighter, so I started Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Being a geek child of the 70s/80s, I was immediately hooked and switched to the audible version for the drive from the airport. Loving it!
                      If you like Ready Player One (awesome book!), try The Impossible Fortress, by Jason Rekulak.

https://www.amazon.com/Impossible-Fo...+jason+rekulak

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                        If you like Ready Player One (awesome book!), try The Impossible Fortress, by Jason Rekulak.

https://www.amazon.com/Impossible-Fo...+jason+rekulak
                        I *loved* THE IMPOSSIBLE FORTRESS...just an outstanding and charmingly nostalgic read.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I loved Ready Player One. Thanks for the recommendation of The Impossible Fortress. I will hunt it down. Has anyone read Ernest Cline's other book Armada? Moving high up on my TBR list.

I've started on Strange Weather now. I finished Loaded last night. Very strong story. Having already read the original Snapshot 1988 in CD Mag, I skipped it for the moment. Now I'm into Aloft.
                          I also read Joe Hill's Tales from the Darkside on a plane the other day. Lots of fun.

I'm doing a lot of travelling at the moment and carrying around a couple of novellas I picked up as part of PS Publishing's Halloween sale;
                          Polaris - Timothy Brown, and;
                          The invention of Happiness - Brian W. Aldiss.

I know nothing about these guys, but the covers are nice. I know, I know. You can't judge and all that.

Comment

I loved Ready Player One. Thanks for the recommendation of The Impossible Fortress. I will hunt it down. Has anyone read Ernest Cline's other book Armada? Moving high up on my TBR list.
                            I'm one of the few who didn't OMG I LOVE Ready Player One. I thought it was fun and a good ride. I had high expectations for Armada and to say it was a let down is a huge understatement. I didn't find it very good. I didn't like any of the characters and there wasn't much original about the story (I saw the movie when it was called The Last Starfighter.)

Comment

Let me clarify - I loved RPO because I am the archetypal ageing geek that it's trying to appeal to, and I picked up on the myriad cultural references even before they were explained to me (and they usually were). The writing was nothing special and the plot predictable. I just found myself smiling all the time while reading it!
                              Reading the synopsis of Armada, the parallels between it, The Last Starfighter and also Pratchett's Only You Can Save Mankind jumped out at me. Let's face it, there are very few original stories. As long as they are told well, I'm usually prepared to double (or triple) up.

Comment

Let me clarify - I loved RPO because I am the archetypal ageing geek that it's trying to appeal to, and I picked up on the myriad cultural references even before they were explained to me (and they usually were). The writing was nothing special and the plot predictable. I just found myself smiling all the time while reading it!
                                Reading the synopsis of Armada, the parallels between it, The Last Starfighter and also Pratchett's Only You Can Save Mankind jumped out at me. Let's face it, there are very few original stories. As long as they are told well, I'm usually prepared to double (or triple) up.
                                That's pretty much why I liked Ready Player One as well. I didn't love it, but I enjoyed it and would've read more if there was more. Plus I kinda have a soft spot for "Young Adult" fantasy / sci-fi novels, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson (really all of Rick Riordan's stuff), a surprising amount of Terry Brooks's stuff is really YA. I actually just got done listening to Rick Riordan's Mangnus Chase trilogy and thought that was a lot of fun. I really like how he deals with the different pagan mythological gods.

On a different note I'm really curious about the new book from the author of The Martian. I really loved The Martian, but I have a hard time believing that he can capture that same feeling in another book.
                                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Working...
                                X