What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Heart Shaped Box is another great Joe Hill novel!
    Don't think I have a copy of that on hand (collectable or otherwise). Might have to hit up the library to see if they have a copy. What's your take on 20th Century Ghost?

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      NOS4A2 is definitely my favorite Hill full-length novel to date. HEART-SHAPED BOX was great, HORNS was good, THE FIREMAN was meh...but NOS4A2 was absolutely brilliant. If one was to use the inevitable comparison to his father, NOS4A2 was just as good as any of the early classic King...it had that same vibe of being something very special.
      I have several SK novels to get to as well but I'm wanting to catch up on Hill first. I was going to read The Fireman first but it was suggested to me that I start out with his early stuff and work my way up. I've loved about Locke & Key and Horns so far. I blazed through both of those which is saying something considering how slow I read and how it's usually not a priority.

As far as NOS4A2; should I read the comic Wraith first or is it best saved for after the novel?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
        Don't think I have a copy of that on hand (collectable or otherwise). Might have to hit up the library to see if they have a copy. What's your take on 20th Century Ghost?
        I loved 20th Century Ghost. I will qualify that with "I love short stories". Some of the stories felt like I was reading early writings from an Author who had not yet hit his stride but the stories overall were very good, some of them will be classics.

I personally am not sure if it matters but I would read NOS4A2 before Wraith. I think reading Wraith first you may not understand the characters as they are explained fully in NOS4A2.

Comment

I'm reading The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami.

Cap
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I loved 20th Century Ghost. I will qualify that with "I love short stories". Some of the stories felt like I was reading early writings from an Author who had not yet hit his stride but the stories overall were very good, some of them will be classics.

I personally am not sure if it matters but I would read NOS4A2 before Wraith. I think reading Wraith first you may not understand the characters as they are explained fully in NOS4A2.
            Thanks, Martin. I too love short stories.

Comment

I absolutely agree with your last comment. I had pretty high expectations going into 20th Century Ghosts since I absolutely loved Heart Shaped Box, but was felt rather let down. The title story is probably in my top ten for short stories, but I felt a lot of the other ones fell flat for me. In general, I've felt hit-or-miss about Hill's work. As I said before, I loved Heart Shaped Box, was lukewarm on Ghosts, and struggled with Horns. I have NOS4A2 in the TBR pile so I'm at least going to give that a shot; unsure about The Fireman, though.

Comment

1/4 of the way through American Gods. Pretty interesting, but not a page turner so far...hoping it picks up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  I absolutely agree with your last comment. I had pretty high expectations going into 20th Century Ghosts since I absolutely loved Heart Shaped Box, but was felt rather let down. The title story is probably in my top ten for short stories, but I felt a lot of the other ones fell flat for me. In general, I've felt hit-or-miss about Hill's work. As I said before, I loved Heart Shaped Box, was lukewarm on Ghosts, and struggled with Horns. I have NOS4A2 in the TBR pile so I'm at least going to give that a shot; unsure about The Fireman, though.
                  Sorry to hear that, Keith about Horns. I absolutely tore through it in days I found it so good. I need to find the movie to see how it compares. I'll probably try NOS4A2 next. I haven't heard many great things about The Fireman but I'll give it a shot eventually.
                  Last edited by Brian861; 03-29-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I really like the movie (Horns)! Daniel Radcliffe was pretty good. Have not read the book yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                      1/4 of the way through American Gods. Pretty interesting, but not a page turner so far...hoping it picks up.
                      I really have to pick this one up. Especially with the series coming out. I am always behind in these things!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                        I really have to pick this one up. Especially with the series coming out. I am always behind in these things!!!
                        I'll just try the series lol.

Comment

Reading The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury. It's short and sweet. I could probably read the book in one night, but I'm taking my time with it. It's more fun that way.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                            I love Gaiman but struggled with this one. I remember not enjoying it the first time I read it (when it came out originally,) and upon a recent reread, I still had a hard time. I was excited about the premise but the in the end it didn't work for me.

Comment

It's seems that a lot of people have a hard time getting into American Gods. Personally, I really liked it. Now Anansi Boys on the other hand, that one I struggled with a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                                I'll just try the series lol.
                                Nothing wrong with that! Bryan Fuller is in charge of the television version of American Gods and if he can take something ludicrous like a Hannibal Lecter prequel show and make it AMAZING, then I'm sure he can do wonders with this.

Comment

Working...
                                X