Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome Paul! Enjoy your time here.

Comment

Decided to go with Weaveworld as my next read. Liking it so far - certainly keeps you wanting to turn the pages. Short chapters help the flow.

Comment

Starting Mr. Mercedes. And just finished my first Barker, Cabal. I enjoyed it. It wasn't great, but it does make me want to read more of his.

Comment

I believe Weaveworld was my first Clive Barker encounter.
          And it definitely wasn't the last.
          I remember it as a very enjoyable read.

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
            I believe Weaveworld was my first Clive Barker encounter.
            And it definitely wasn't the last.
            I remember it as a very enjoyable read.

sk
            I am really enjoying it a lot. It too, is my first Barker book (seen many of the movies). Funny thing is, is that I have a couple more Barker's, and not sure if I will follow up Weaveworld with another or not.

Comment

Reading "The Exploits of Ebenezum" (a trilogy) by Craig Shaw Gardner. Yay! I read them a long time ago when they came out, somehow lost them, and forgot about them until I saw a reference a few weeks ago. Very similar to Asprin's "Myth" books.
              exploits_of_ebenezum_8811.jpg

Comment

My intro to Barker was "The Books of Blood" when they first came out here in the states. Wow! I'd originally heard of him, by one of the characters in Alan Moore's "Swamp Thing" run, reading "Books of Blood" and as soon as they were released I picked them up. Of the 5 stories, 3 of them blew me away as something wholly new and original. I distinctly remember my first reading of "Midnight Meat Train", I almost threw up. Never had a story affected me that viscerally. "In the Hills, the Cities" is still one of the best and most unique short stories I've ever read.
                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I want to pick up a copy of The Books of Blood soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                    It is a spectacular piece of work, one of the high points of horror literature not only from last century but of all time IMHO, You might also try The Hellbound Heart, Coldheart Canyon, The Great and Secret Show, Sacrament and tho the Thief of Always is a children's book, it is really fun to read, the only thing I can honestly say I've disliked by Barker is Mister B. Gone, very disappointed with that one, I still need to read Weaveworld, Imajica, Everville, Galilae and Abarat

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                      I can't believe you're on this forum and haven't read them. Unfortunately the new Subterranean limited editions are already sold out. Even with my tight budget, I had to splurge on those.
                      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I have never read anything by Mr. Barker, don't even own anything by him. CD's publication of Damnation Game will be my first Barker book.
                        Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                        I can't believe you're on this forum and haven't read them. Unfortunately the new Subterranean limited editions are already sold out. Even with my tight budget, I had to splurge on those.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          I have never read anything by Mr. Barker, don't even own anything by him. CD's publication of Damnation Game will be my first Barker book.
                          Damn! I forgot to include the Damned Damnation Game in my Damnable list earlier, Damn it! And that's probably my favorite novel by him too

Comment

The Books of Blood are amazing, important works. I'll be in the minority here, but I felt 'Babel's Children' was the jewel in the six books as it fully explains the madness in our world.
                            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                              I know, I know.....I can't either! As I said, I really was not much of a reader until recently, and I even worked in a bookstore back when I was 16-18 yrs old. Magazines, sure, but for whatever (stupid) reasons......wasn't a reader really. I think I was more into sports and hanging with my buddies. Heck, I was playing hockey 4-5 times a week (2X/week in summer), plus golf, softball..... plus a job.

Now though..... if I go a day without at least reading something, then I am either really busy, or something's wrong..... although when I look at the titles on my bookshelf, I sometimes if something isn't wrong regardless!

Anyways.....I do plan an tracking them down soon. I have a crappily formatted version of Hellbound Heart on my Kobo that I plan to read soon.

Comment

Here is something I noticed since I am readying Weaveworld. I got to page 300, and there is an Erratum page (slightly smaller than the pages in the book) inserted, stating that the printing of one paragraph was incorrect and to start the next sub-chapter (for lack of better term). I thought that was neat in a way, and wondered how often does this happen? Would it be in all the copies of the edition that I have?

Comment

Working...
                                X